Aidan
[Image: nQmrY4A.png]
Mario
I was SO prepared to come into this thread and be like "no it doesn't fuck you" but actually... finally something we agree on
i've never once seen gameplay of hat in time or people saying they enjoy it.
Draku
god dammit lol
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Elyk
(Mar 5, 2022 at 12:53 AM)Watch Demon Slayer Wrote: i've never once seen gameplay of hat in time or people saying they enjoy it.

I've never once heard somebody not from MFGG or MW say it's bad.
(Mar 5, 2022 at 12:57 AM)Elyk Wrote:
(Mar 5, 2022 at 12:53 AM)Watch Demon Slayer Wrote: i've never once seen gameplay of hat in time or people saying they enjoy it.

i dont have a hate boner for mecha like MW and mfgg
i genuinely just do not ever see this game anywhere despite knowing it exists on basically every platform.
Fun With Despair

i pirated it to play it so mecha didn't get any money and I did end up 100%ing it, though it is only 40 stars/jiggies/etc. long so it didn't take much effort in that regard.

it's actually a decent game i think, the movement is pretty good and the soundtrack largely slaps. visuals are a mixed bag and the difficulty and level design swing heavily from level to level. there's not really much else to talk about though because it overall lacks substance. it's mission based because mario sunshine is so of course this had to be too, but as a result most of the levels suffer because they have cool optional areas used for literally nothing because the game has very little in the way of actual proper content beyond the main collectibles, which are only tied to missions. i never played the dlc though so this might have been fixed.

for example there's this massive spooky forest with haunted gardens and treetop platforming and stuff and quite literally none of this is touched because all the missions are either a straight walk up to a boss fight or in a secluded zoned off area not in the big spooky forest, like wtf

really the biggest problem with the game for me though is that it's tainted by the shithead dev and his crew of unpaid workers while he takes all the credit and money. its okay but no one should EVER pay for it
sealelement

this is a really confusing sentence to read for some reason, but yeah people really like this game outside of the mfggsphere
100% pure gamer 100%
Draku
i refuse to pay for the game but all of the gameplay of it i have seen makes it look like a clunky attempt at making a 3d platformer, when you could just play an actually good one. and what fwd said is super apparent even from watching -- the amount of content seems insanely limited.
Elyk
(Mar 5, 2022 at 1:57 AM)sealelement Wrote:

this is a really confusing sentence to read for some reason, but yeah people really like this game outside of the mfggsphere

Probably because of the double negative.

Quote:really the biggest problem with the game for me though is that it's tainted by the shithead dev and his crew of unpaid workers while he takes all the credit and money. its okay but no one should EVER pay for it
I'm always surprised more people don't know about this. Dunno if Mecha is just really good at suppressing it or if people don't care.
Pea
(Mar 5, 2022 at 2:05 AM)Elyk Wrote: I'm always surprised more people don't know about this. Dunno if Mecha is just really good at suppressing it or if people don't care.

it just never Got Out There
Reeb
I enjoyed Hat in Time. It was cute, but on the bad side of things, the one DLC I played sucked ass (not the cat metro, the other one with the seals). It definitely underutilized the worlds it made, got kind of repetitive after a while, and could've used a few more mechanics to freshen things up, but it was a decent platformer. Had a laugh that coupling Parsec with it back when it was free resulted in a less laggier and more interactive co-op experience than the one that they eventually released.

A Discord server I reside in has somebody whose pastime seems to be making callout posts on the game industry and Hat's never once been put on blast to my knowledge, so I'd say the controversy with the developers mentioned here just isn't very well known.
Spritanium
Never played Hat in Time. There were a few studios trying to bring back the collectathon platformer, but then Mario Odyssey came out and just did exactly what everybody wanted
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Fun With Despair
(Mar 8, 2022 at 11:18 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Never played Hat in Time. There were a few studios trying to bring back the collectathon platformer, but then Mario Odyssey came out and just did exactly what everybody wanted
i feel like a total alien for just not liking odyssey much at all

not that shit like yooka laylee or hat in time is any good either but odyssey lacks something for me and I can't really quantify what it is. it might literally just be the frequency of moons though. outside of the story mission moons which are mostly all good to great, the vast majority of them feel like busywork or variations on the same damn gimmick. not even gonna mention the stupid shit that is hint art. even then though the story missions are mostly all just segments of a linear trek through the level.

I'd rather just have a big level with 10 planned, fleshed out missions than a bunch of 3d world levels but with random shit hidden in every corner along the way. My favorite odyssey level is the desert because its the only one that actually made me feel like I was exploring an actual place and going on an adventure but apparently that level is hated because it is too big? fuck if I know maybe I'm just broken.

spyro is linear but with side areas and such too, but at least those games hide stuff in the levels to where you have to interact with the level and geography in an interesting way to get to it or something, whether its a long ass glide or an obstacle course through the level using a super speed power up to break a door at the end. odyssey's moons are made up of largely dreck like ground pounding a glowing lump, entering a door that takes you to a floating platform 3d world level, walking in the outline of a shape, or literally sitting out for you to just grab.

when odyssey really plays into those handcrafted missions, it kicks ass. the desert freezing and the ancient ice ruins? awesome. the water boss? awesome. collecting the instrument players on new donk? awesome, but in between all of this its just miserable and unfulfilling and it sucks because they got the formula right on the god damn Nintendo 64 almost 30 years ago
Aidan
why are you all talking about the hat of time i was mad because amongus
Mario
(Mar 9, 2022 at 1:53 AM)Aidan Wrote: why are you all talking about the hat of time i was mad because amongus

Amogus is good
Draku
(Mar 9, 2022 at 1:36 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Mar 8, 2022 at 11:18 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Never played Hat in Time. There were a few studios trying to bring back the collectathon platformer, but then Mario Odyssey came out and just did exactly what everybody wanted
i feel like a total alien for just not liking odyssey much at all

not that shit like yooka laylee or hat in time is any good either but odyssey lacks something for me and I can't really quantify what it is. it might literally just be the frequency of moons though. outside of the story mission moons which are mostly all good to great, the vast majority of them feel like busywork or variations on the same damn gimmick. not even gonna mention the stupid shit that is hint art. even then though the story missions are mostly all just segments of a linear trek through the level.

I'd rather just have a big level with 10 planned, fleshed out missions than a bunch of 3d world levels but with random shit hidden in every corner along the way. My favorite odyssey level is the desert because its the only one that actually made me feel like I was exploring an actual place and going on an adventure but apparently that level is hated because it is too big? fuck if I know maybe I'm just broken.

spyro is linear but with side areas and such too, but at least those games hide stuff in the levels to where you have to interact with the level and geography in an interesting way to get to it or something, whether its a long ass glide or an obstacle course through the level using a super speed power up to break a door at the end. odyssey's moons are made up of largely dreck like ground pounding a glowing lump, entering a door that takes you to a floating platform 3d world level, walking in the outline of a shape, or literally sitting out for you to just grab.

when odyssey really plays into those handcrafted missions, it kicks ass. the desert freezing and the ancient ice ruins? awesome. the water boss? awesome. collecting the instrument players on new donk? awesome, but in between all of this its just miserable and unfulfilling and it sucks because they got the formula right on the god damn Nintendo 64 almost 30 years ago
I do find this as a major weakness of Odyssey BUT the good part is that the game has so many moons in it that a bunch of them are the good kind anyways so it works out. Just it sucks ass to try to 100% because of how much filler there is. The huge open areas of Odyssey with goddamn nothing in them sucked too.

Bowser's Fury was a definite step in the right direction at least.
Mario
god you just don't GET odyssey. there's so much shit to collect for the FREAKS who love to COLLECT SHIT. You don't need to be one, plenty of moons I think are horrible, but they're there to punish those freaks and their addiction to completion-ism. It's time to grow up and take what we want from a game and that's EXACTLY what it does. There's so many moons at your fingertips if you hate the monster of the week plotlines for the different kingdoms you just do the interesting stuff around you and move on.

I've played through the game 3 times each with a different approach going in and its a blast. Hint art isn't even the worst of the moons, the god damn jump rope is. Or the fucking birds. Hint art is at least them playing around with things in an interesting way, not wait around or do this annoying thing 100 times.

and idk, like the first time I played I just did whatever and moved on when I felt like it. the boring kingdoms weren't _that_ boring because you never truly get stuck in a place, despite the minimal moon requirement.

Second time I grabbed every moon I could at each kingdom, and there's charm in sticking around a place and getting to know it that well.

third time? get the minimum moon count while doing minimum story stuff. you can just leave the damn kingdoms in chaos and move on and nobody cares.

and then you can collect da moons in a all the kingdoms that are connected via the paintings and sit for like 5 minutes in front of the odyssey when it adds them all up at once

so idk. i think gamers just want to be told what to do and when their hand isn't held tight they get scared and run back to idk banjo kazooie while da king of da collectathon is right here ruling from its throne
Mario
actually I hate collectathon games anyway so its not fair for me to call it the king of that. it just makes the genre actually fun
Draku
that's a fair assessment too, the fact that there are so many moons that you can clear the game however you want. i personally find 70 star runs of mario 64 a lot more interesting than 120 star runs due to the player being able to choose what they want to to and skip the parts of the game they don't want to play, so odyssey still fulfills that and even does it in a way where, as you said, you can skip the "plot" stuff entirely which NO fucking games let you do nowadays.