Reeb
[deleted]
MoonAge
welcome to the crew, if you want here's a link to our server https://discord.gg/nm724MA . hope you make yourself at home
Draku
yo, you seem pretty chill.

imo fate/'s greater issues are almost entirely localized to terrible adaptations (for such a popular and now-mainstream property MAN does it have bad luck there) and a specific author who they unfortunately keep assigning work. do you play grand order?
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Reeb
I used to play F/GO, but I haven't been into it for about a year. Might be picking it back up again since the new Lostbelts're dropping; I've been finding myself hovering over it on my phone for the last two months or so.

>bitching about how Dragon Ball could've been way better

I KNOW JUST THE CANADIAN DUDE YOU CAN TALK TO

WELCOME TO MINUS WORLD
YOU SEEM LIKE A GREAT FIT HERE.
PLEASE DO NOT CONCERN YOURSELF WITH MW CULTURE
OUR ONLY CULTURE IS THAT WE HAVE NO CULTURE.
AS LONG AS YOU ENJOY MILDLY TO EXTREMELY NERDY THINGS YOU WILL BE FINE
HAVE A GREAT DAY.
WATCH DEMON SLAYER.
Draku
(Mar 6, 2022 at 12:57 AM)Reeb Wrote: I used to play F/GO, but I haven't been into it for about a year. Might be picking it back up again since the new Lostbelts're dropping; I've been finding myself hovering over it on my phone for the last two months or so.
the current event is pretty neat with some shockingly good writing for a weeklong deal, you would have time to finish that up and nab a grail if you jumped back in. the main story pacing this year is going to be fairly poor if you were largely into it for that admittedly, but there is a campaign running now that slashes AP on lostbelt progression so you can catch up pretty easy. the last two chapters that came out were great to solid but i do have to say that the next one coming up at the end of this month has quite a negative reputation... and is by said author i mentioned. so temper your expectations there.
Reeb
Which author is it that has the bad rep? I know there was some conjecture that they got the Prisma motherfucker to work on Agartha because of how sheerly uncomfortable it was but I never learned their name, how affiliated they were with the game, or how much weight those rumors held.

That said, I'll probably get on board for the AP slashing. I last did India so I think I'm only behind on Greece.
Aidan
i want to be kiritsugu when i grow up
Draku
(Mar 6, 2022 at 1:13 AM)Reeb Wrote: Which author is it that has the bad rep? I know there was some conjecture that they got the Prisma motherfucker to work on Agartha because of how sheerly uncomfortable it was but I never learned their name, how affiliated they were with the game, or how much weight those rumors held.

That said, I'll probably get on board for the AP slashing. I last did India so I think I'm only behind on Greece.
for the record, the prisma author, hiroyama, has never written anything for FGO directly. he supervises the stuff involving prisma in the game, but hazuki minase, the screenwriter for the prisma anime, is the one who wrote the prisma event, agartha, ooku, and lostbelt 4. i honestly don't think he does that terrible a job, he's just kind of horny. lb4 definitely shows that when he tries he can do amazing stuff.

hikaru sakurai is the author i feel fucks up the most by far in areas that matter. septem, london, shimousa, lostbelt 2, oniland... lostbelt 2 was workable enough but man. i don't think that's a particularly good track record. sakurai is also responsible for most of fate/extella's extremely questionable writing, and the one who did the script/screenplay for last encore which blew complete chunks (nasu is also credited, but what went down was he essentially wrote last encore as a novel with a ton of minor details and then sakurai took said novel and reworked it into what was seen in the anime which... was a complete mess as a result, and nasu had to explain everything that got cut on his blog for anything to make any sense). as i said she's also responsible for the upcoming olympus. i have not read it personally for obvious reasons so i have yet to be able to judge it myself, but as far as i know virtually no one likes it that much either which would line up, to me.
Reeb
Shimousa's a contender for one of my favorite 1.5 things (in general 1.5, Agartha aside, held all my favorite F/GO content), but I guess every writer has their outlier.
LB2 wasn't that bad either, but I found Napoleon being extremely entertaining to be its main saving grace; there was an outstanding amount of wasted potential there, like Sitonai not mattering to the plot pretty much at all until the literal last minute and Ophelia being one of the least characterized Crypters imo.

I'll keep my hopes stymied and my expectations low, but, as the mantra goes for F/GO, At Least It Won't Be Septem.
Draku
(Mar 6, 2022 at 1:38 AM)Reeb Wrote: Shimousa's a contender for one of my favorite 1.5 things (in general 1.5, Agartha aside, held all my favorite F/GO content), but I guess every writer has their outlier. LB2 wasn't that bad either, but I found Napoleon being extremely entertaining to be its main saving grace; there was an outstanding amount of wasted potential there, like Sitonai not mattering to the plot pretty much at all until the literal last minute and Ophelia being one of the least characterized Crypters imo.

I'll keep my hopes stymied and my expectations low, but, as the mantra goes for F/GO, At Least It Won't Be Septem.
shimousa is a mixed bag to me. i found the way it was written to be really aggravating to read with how much fluff there was to the text, and musashi doesn't really undergo any kind of development or journey despite that being the whole point of the story. the most that happens is that you're stuck with a musashi missing her third skill until suddenly she gets it, and that's meant to be the big turning point for her, but... she doesn't change at all, she's essentially the same character as at the start of the chapter and she was apparently trouncing everyone the whole time anyways. yagyu beats her ass in her trial quest which leads into shimousa but again, the only difference in shimousa's actual writing is that she wins that time. it doesn't help that a lot of sakurai's hallmarks are in there super early, like having inshun be this respectable fellow on your crew up until suddenly OH NO the bad guys got to him, he is now making exaggerated evil faces and going on and on about how he will murder all of the women and the children! and then does so. amazing.

it has a couple of neat ideas like amakusa as an antagonist, buuuuuut... that and many other things about shimousa's general concept are ripped right out of samurai reincarnation/makai tenshou, another popular work of japanese fiction. in fact, go look up what characters show up in that -- it's a good laugh.

but i do recognize that overall it seems positively received, i just personally don't agree with it and found the same downfalls of what usually annoys me about sakurai's writing applied to it as well.

and yeah holy shit, why was sitonai even in lostbelt 2? she wasn't used that well in oniland either. huge shame considering she's a legacy character pseudo. i didn't hate ophelia but for the amount the lostbelt rotated around her she didn't have as much of a presence as she should have.

also big ups to shinjuku and salem, 1.5 had some fantastic stuff in it since you brought it up. i wish meteo (salem's author) wrote more for FGO.
Reeb
I'll readily admit I don't know about Makai Tenshou, but the other stuff I can agree with. Musashi didn't really undergo any growth, but I found her to be a fun character to romp around with. The writing, while fluff-heavy at times, fell into a comfort zone for me that got me invested in the story. Muramasa was cool and imo avoided falling into the Sitonai trap of being only around for a one-scene-wonder by actually having buildup, characterization, and plausible reasons as to why he didn't do anything until the time came. Also, Kojiro's entry at the end was perfect and opened up a lot of lore questions since his spritework's a lot closer to his F/SN representation than the Kojiro we summon.

Looking back, I think the gameplay was more a hit with me than anything else; I enjoyed the thematic duels against the Swordmasters, the music, and just the general strategizing of everything. 1.5 was really where F/GO's gameplay and balance was coming to the fore after having started to figure its shit out with Camelot and onwards. The remix that came with Muramasa's moment got me jamming.

Shinjuku and Salem were both baller as hell and I can't agree more about Meteo; I wish Meteo'd been brought on for more things. Those're the only two singularities where I was on the edge of my seat reading everything the whole story through.
Reeb
also yeah screw it this has been the final deciding factor for me booting it back up

time to venture back to gacha hell
Draku
yeah, if you enjoy musashi's character as it is i could see shimousa working out well for you. i didn't really like her so being attached to the hip kinda grated on me, which i'll also admit is definitely a me problem and not a greater criticism of the writing itself. muramasa was great and by far the best part of the chapter to me, i loved his grandpa attitude and i will absolutely agree on the moment where the EMIYA remix kicks in being incredibly hype. the kojiro duel is very fitting and cool, though i personally wasn't a huge fan of the whole "because quantum physics, as the observer you decide who wins, and it's musashi!" thing, especially with how musashi is super beat up afterwards and kojirou is just kinda chilling as if nothing happened.

i could see the gameplay element winning you over. i think it's kinda silly that they stick you with musashi for fighting an archer and don't negate the downsides of that but otherwise it is cool. i do definitely agree that the gameplay of fgo is a big part of what makes it enjoyable and they seem to be getting better and better at telling story through gameplay stuff. atlantis has a couple of subtle touches in that department itself, and i liked what the current event did for its last battle too.

hope u have fun and may you be blessed with good rolls
Pea
i like naruto
sealelement
this is a lot of fate discussion. jesus. well welcome to the community!!! you got here just in time for one of our most disruptive members to come back from a ban in a few days
100% pure gamer 100%
Yrrzy
im upset that draku ruined you within one thread of you joining
Aidan
(Mar 6, 2022 at 2:09 AM)Reeb Wrote: also yeah screw it this has been the final deciding factor for me booting it back up

time to venture back to gacha hell

[Image: wC8gtdf.png]
B3ll3
Welcome fam
(Mar 6, 2022 at 7:58 AM)sealelement Wrote: this is a lot of fate discussion. jesus. well welcome to the community!!! you got here just in time for one of our most disruptive members to come back from a ban in a few days
>v-tuber fan calling someone else disruptive

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE OLD WOMAN WHO SHOPS AT JC PENNY.

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW IRON MOUSE WOULD NOT APPROVE OF YOU SLANDERING THE GOOD NAME OF A FRIEND LIKE THIS.
ESPECIALLY AFTER I GAVE YOU POSITIVE VIBES.

RHEEB; IF YOU'RE READING THIS. WORRY NOT. I AM ONLY HERE TO MAKE SURE YOU BECOME THE BEST YOU THAT YOU CAN BE AND IT ALL STARTS WITH YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER
THE EXPIRATION DATE
AND OF COURSE,
THE FOUR DIGITS ON THE BACK

THOUGH YOU ARE GACHA SCUM I WILL NEVER DEGRADE YOU UNLESS YOU PLAY FIRE EMBLEM HEROES.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.