T-man
who ever decided that we should censor foul language on television with a volume defying bleep?

and isn't it weird how the bleep itself seemed to become offensive to older audiences despite it serving to omit offensive content?

the first person who was like, "we should just cut the audio instead" was a genius, it just feels classier somehow

not that any of this matters anymore because you can say shit on cable television and streaming has removed even more barriers

post your own insanity
Draku
the loud bleep seems like it'd be convenient to apply, it's loud as fuck so it'd be easy to slap on in an instant and it'd make the curse hard to hear with minimal effort

that SEEMS to be the thought process, i'm not actually going to look it up and find out the real story is completely different
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
yeah that makes a lot of sense, for live events every soundboard must be equipped with an OH FUCK button for when someone goes off script, im just wondering why this was carried over to reruns. must have just been tradition at that point. I just wish I could live in the universe where we censored swears with cartoon sound effects and animal noises
Pea
i have an alternate universe version of myself who's a successful mass murderer
Pea
that version of me keeps saying slurs and has fans who defend it because i'd say them sexy-like
Yrrzy
After being used for live shows I think it just became what people Expected, and so became audio shorthand for "they said a swear"
Two_Finger
easiest way to convey "there is an omission here" and reduce confusion to the masses in an understandable way
just cutting the audio really isn't good enough for those purposes. most of the time it's used it jut sounds like a fuck up or half warps the dialogue into gibberish
Draku
(Jul 17, 2022 at 12:47 PM)Two_Finger Wrote: easiest way to convey "there is an omission here" and reduce confusion to the masses in an understandable way
just cutting the audio really isn't good enough for those purposes. most of the time it's used it jut sounds like a fuck up or half warps the dialogue into gibberish
yeah i agree with this as well, cutting the audio sounds nonsensical and glitched. any time i've heard, or, well, not heard, this censor method it sounds utterly bizarre. a sound effect of any variety gives you SOMETHING in place of what was removed which i think the brain deals with a lot better
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Aidan
they had a perfect chance about 20 years ago to replace the censor bleep with a dolphin cry but the moment has passed
Spritanium
I've always heard the bleep was originally used because it could drown out the profanity even during a live recording, but that doesn't make any sense because it's not like the soundboard guy is a clairvoyant who can perfectly know when someone's about to drop an F bomb

Googling for 5 seconds I can't find a good reason for why the bleep sound in particular is used. I guess it's just because 1000hz noise is an easy arbitrary sound to produce electronically.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
i think it was on a delay so that sound and camera guys could interrupt that feed with censors
Spritanium
A delay makes perfect sense, idk why I didn't think of that. So yeah I guess it was just a matter of convenience, 1000hz is a dead simple waveform so they can just patch it in real quick
[Image: supercorrect.png]