T-man
reddit world,

i built this pc like 8 years ago and i haven't fucked with any computer shit since, but i finally received the call to action when i booted up a game and my psu started grinding then subsequently powered off

these fuckers haven't gotten any bigger in 8 years have they? i can replace the one I have with the same (albiet clearly newer) model of psu and be fine right?
Yrrzy
i think so, the thing that matters is matching the voltage(?) of the old one
Draku
Yes, you can just buy the same wattage of one you previously had and be fine, they haven't changed significantly at all.

I'd argue for a better one so that you can use it in a future build though, if you haven't touched your PC's specs in 8 years.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Aug 19, 2022 at 4:23 PM)Draku Wrote: Yes, you can just buy the same wattage of one you previously had and be fine, they haven't changed significantly at all.

I'd argue for a better one so that you can use it in a future build though, if you haven't touched your PC's specs in 8 years.
I wanna say my current PSU is 750w, how high do they go? I'd like to one day have a computer strong enough to comfortably emulate 7th generation consoles plus Wii U/Switch. What do you think would best power such a machine?
Draku
in that case, my current computer is also running on a 750W PSU and it does just fine with a 3080 and 5800X in it. just i know a lot of people coast off of 500W-600W ones as they work for their current use cases so i was making sure.

HOWEVER, the next gen of nvidia stuff is apparently going to be power hungry as fuck, so I would aim for an 850W one just because it isn't a terribly large extra expense.

EVGA currently has the prices on their PSUs slashed pretty nicely on amazon/their own site and they have a crazy 10 year warranty, also
Pea
whatever you do, make sure you buy something that's rated 80+ Bronze or higher.

don't ever cheap out on PSUs
T-man
thanks everyone, I thought it might be an easy swap but I always second guess myself on this kinda stuff
Spritanium
Yeah PSUs have been the same size since before we were born, just get an 80+ one (I think the vast majority of them are these days). Corsair's always been a good brand
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pea
not even an 80+, buddy.
T-man
Alright everyone, the surgery was a success. There were more plugs than I remembered, but I'm probably the best at unplugging things so it was no sweat for a master like myself. To celebrate, I'm hosting a PC Part Death Pool and I'm starting the pot at $20.00 USD; Guess which of my computer parts is going to die next and you could win it all!*

*PC Part Death Pool probably not real. Entrants must be 18 years or older to be eligible to win.
Pea
a storage drive. $1 000 000
Spritanium
If you have a mechanical hard drive then it's probably on the way out yeah. SSD is probably fine

Apart from that, I guess the most likely thing to fail would be a fan. It's usually the stuff with moving parts that goes bad. If you get unlucky your CPU fan could die and then overheat the CPU itself
Yrrzy
headphones
T-man
(Aug 31, 2022 at 8:10 AM)Yrrzy Wrote: headphones
I used to have to replace my headset every other year or so just from how many trips it took to the floor, so this is probably the best guess so far.
Draku
(Aug 31, 2022 at 11:07 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Aug 31, 2022 at 8:10 AM)Yrrzy Wrote: headphones
I used to have to replace my headset every other year or so just from how many trips it took to the floor, so this is probably the best guess so far.
having only recently invested in a headphone stand:
please for the love of god everyone buy one of those. the curved kind. it will save you so much grief of headphones falling off of whatever shit you're improvising. unless you have a cat i guess in which case you're just fucked

not applicable for headsets (honestly it's a better idea to just have a dedicated mic, both your headphones and mic quality will be better than trying to work with the two cheaply slapped together) but a 3.5mm extension cord is also incredibly handy and will result in a lot less bullshit from caught wires and strain your headphone cord so much less.

those two items will increase the lifetime of your headphones immensely. the money spent on them is nothing compared to the rate of outright replacement otherwise
Yrrzy
i simply buy some £1 earbuds every time they die
Hearts
Every "gaming" headset I ever bought lasted a year at most until I finally bought a pair of cheap Sennheisers that made it 10 years until the cord wore down
T-man
(Aug 31, 2022 at 12:10 PM)Draku Wrote: not applicable for headsets (honestly it's a better idea to just have a dedicated mic, both your headphones and mic quality will be better than trying to work with the two cheaply slapped together) but a 3.5mm extension cord is also incredibly handy and will result in a lot less bullshit from caught wires and strain your headphone cord so much less.
I was adamant for years about having headphones and microphone be an all-in-one device but I've finally got with the program and realized how shit it is. Once my current headset dies I'm gonna get a Blue Snowball or Yeti and some nice headphones instead.

As for headphone holders, I once repurposed a curtain holdback for that and it was pretty sweet. I really ought to get the real deal.
Spritanium
Objection: headphones don't count as a part of your PC. But once you get a Blue Snowball you can finally join the SnucklesCast
Spritanium
(Aug 31, 2022 at 12:36 PM)Hearts Wrote: Every "gaming" headset I ever bought lasted a year at most until I finally bought a pair of cheap Sennheisers that made it 10 years until the cord wore down

The only "gaming" branded products I like are mice, because they actually have some features that come in handy like DPI switching. For everything else, the "gaming" label is just an excuse to sell a piece of crap with RGB LEDs for 150% the price of better alternatives. It's especially true for headsets; you get a shitty pair of headphones and a shitty mic all in one. A jack of all trades is a master of none