Yoshin
General thread for language related discussion. Learning a language? Got tips for someone learning a language you know? Post it in this thread.

Let me start by saying don't learn english via a poor school board's methods.
I'm also learning Russian atm by the suggestion of a friend, and I'm both enjoying it and hating it
T-man
I took French and Spanish in middle and high school. I retained exactly 0% of that information.
Yrrzy
I can read cyrillic but ive been really bad at actually learning a language enough to speak it

I'd like to learn german some day but i have no real need to so I just haven't
Draku
(Oct 3, 2016 at 12:30 AM)T-man Wrote: I took French and Spanish in middle and high school. I retained exactly 0% of that information.
i took german

i remember only snippets

die wildwasserbahn
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yoshin
(Oct 3, 2016 at 12:30 AM)T-man Wrote: I took French and Spanish in middle and high school. I retained exactly 0% of that information.

Yeah I took Latin and English in HS, only English stuck.

An alarming amount of my friends still know little to no English, despite all the warnings that most of the world will speak English over French
Two_Finger
yeah I was in french immersion (canada thing) up till grade 6 or so
about all I got out of it is it can bother me when certain words are pronounced wrong when used outside the actual language
I plan either sometime this year or next year to start studying Spanish because it actually seems like a very fun and useful language to learn and those hoes are bad
Spritanium
Took French in 9th grade and forgot most of it. Then I took ASL in college and forgot most of that too Dead
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Elyk
I took 4 years of Spanish between middle school and high school. I hardly remember any of it.

While I was in college I tried to teach myself Japanese but failed at it because I went about things the wrong way. I put too much of a focus into rote memorization of Kanji and not enough on grammar and vocab. I'd really love to pick it back up again but time is a restriction.
God
been studying Japanese for about 6 years. self-taught for the most part. it's a pursuit of mine that has given me boundless amounts of intrigue and joy. learning languages is a profoundly world-changing experience, i can't underestimate how useful it is at broadening your abilities to perceive the world.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Yoshin
(Oct 3, 2016 at 10:52 AM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: i can't underestimate how useful it is at broadening your abilities to perceive the world.
Yeah this right here. "My only disadvantage is my lack of languages"(or something like that) is very true, one of the main reasons I'm striving to learn more languages.
Shroomguy
I tried learning Spanish in high school. I remember bits and pieces but not enough to be terribly useful. I've wanted to learn Irish/Gaelic for a while now to get in touch with the roots a bit, but I've never really put the time in.
The Beef Baron
Shedinja
once i go full on neet mode i plan on learning all axis power languages for different reasons
[Image: vI6LrbC.gif]
Yoshin
So it seems Russian is very hard for my romance brain to comprehend, tho I learned english pretty decently(I guess I was younger)
Not gonna give up though, being multilingual is good for you or something