What actual games coming out in the next 12 months are you excited for?

Nightwheel
As the title asks, what games are you excited about that are coming out in the next 12 months?
Yrrzy
damn they still make those?
Jetamo
tears of the kingdom is pretty much the headliner

otherwise im very much a "hopefully that'll be good but im not holding my breath" mood with most upcoming games atm
[Image: ybpjq8e.png]
Aidan
i want china nioh but i don't have a playstation quintuple so idk
Spritanium
Super Mario Sunshine 2
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pea
yakuza ishin
Pea
a game without roguelike elements
Yrrzy
i started making a game with roguelike elements and then everyone started putting out thinkpieces and twitter posts about how roguelike elements are killing gaming and i dont think its a coincidence
Pea
im sure the 9000 other devs who were about to make a game with roguelike elements thought the same thing
Pea
devs trying to make the same game where every run is different... curious!
Yrrzy
Sniff...
sealelement
that warhammer 40k doom-style shooter is coming out next year and i'm into it
100% pure gamer 100%
Elyk
best of luck to sonic fans tomorrow
Aidan
(Nov 7, 2022 at 7:40 PM)Elyk Wrote: best of luck to sonic fans tomorrow

T-man
(Nov 7, 2022 at 7:40 PM)Elyk Wrote: best of luck to sonic fans tomorrow
got it preloaded and ready for two and a half hours from now
(Nov 8, 2022 at 2:05 AM)Aidan Wrote:
i haven't listened to more than a few seconds of any of the songs because i cant handle it, i wish this game came out when i was 12
Elyk
Please update us with your review once you've played it, T-Man.
Draku
(Nov 8, 2022 at 4:45 AM)Elyk Wrote: Please update us with your review once you've played it, T-Man.
my review of the first while of it is that sonic team needs to stop making half of sonic's actions completely remove all of his momentum and stop him dead in his tracks in midair or wherever else he may be

the combat is shockingly kind of fun with some skills unlocked but movement is fairly finnicky even when you mess with the options to make it as tight as possible. plus with how the game expects you to predict when you need to hit the homing attack within tight intervals sometimes, the fact that it's bound to the "punch in midair and lose all of your momentum" button gets really annoying. plus i'm just plain used to being able to shoot forward with no target using that input, which is now reserved as a function for the boost button.

sonic's speed is bizarre, he's way slower than in basically any other game and boosting is only reaching normal speed. this is... okay on the overworld, but in the proper levels it's really noticeable and bad. you can upgrade his top speed by grinding not-korok-seeds and it seems to get a little better even with only a few levels of doing so but it's a fuckin sonic game you shouldn't need to do that. the platforming and more careful movement in the overworld is best if you have the starting speed set to a bit lower than the cap but you want it as fast as possible for the actual levels so i kinda wish you could have a default setup for each. i do appreciate the amount of customization you're given over how sonic handles at least, granted if it was kept to the defaults the game would be basically unplayable lol.

they made the ground pound deadstop have a proper bounce at the end which is good in some ways and awful in others because that was genuinely a super useful input from colors-on for making precision landings, something you want to do a lot in this game... and now they're anything but precise because sonic bounces afterwards and you'll have to wait a while for him to fall back down again before you can safely move without flinging yourself somewhere.

EDIT: i figured out that if you hold it down it essentially acts like the old one did eventually with sonic doing a bunch of false bounces before properly halting in place. that's... one way to do it i guess. it's not really practical to use due to time constraints in stages but it does help some for weird open world movement.

a bit of this is just getting used to the differences between this game and the others, but i feel like i'm gonna be fighting with the control stuff up to the end credits. the moment to moment gameplay beats are solid though, they definitely DID make it fun to just get around and explore shit. they ripped off botw a bit TOO hard and stole even the ideas that make no sense for sonic like the korok seeds though. i also don't like how you have to turn in your items that boost your stats to an NPC, even with a fast travel option available. why wouldn't it just inherently add to your experience when you get one? such a weird extra step. someone please tell sonic team that the items enemies drop should just fly over to you in such a game too, having to run back and pick up the EXP on the ground from the enemies you killed is so weird when you're meant to be breezing through everything moment to moment.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Elyk
Thanks T-Man
T-man
I've only played for about two hours so far and I think it's pretty okay. I got it on Switch since that's mostly where I find myself playing these days, and this is one of the few instances where I've found the visual cutbacks to be detrimental to my enjoyment of the game. Maintaining a consistent 30fps by any means necessary was clearly their focus with the Switch version, and they've met that target for better and for worse. The grass in the open zone in particular is so ugly they might have been better served not including it at all.

That said, I'm still enjoying my time with it so far. I was expecting a relatively mindless open world littered with bite sized interactive segments and the game has delivered. It's easy to get in the rhythm of completing objectives, zooming across the level, beating up robots, rinse and repeat. I haven't played too many of the Cyber Space levels yet, but I was expecting a lot worse based on early impressions. Maybe they get worse, but the only one I've actively disliked so far is one that was entirely in 2D. Modern Sonic feels so bad in 2D I don't know why they keep doing it.

This game is going to be a playground for modders on PC and I can't wait to see what comes of that
Draku
(Nov 8, 2022 at 3:22 PM)T-man Wrote: I've only played for about two hours so far and I think it's pretty okay. I got it on Switch since that's mostly where I find myself playing these days, and this is one of the few instances where I've found the visual cutbacks to be detrimental to my enjoyment of the game. Maintaining a consistent 30fps by any means necessary was clearly their focus with the Switch version, and they've met that target for better and for worse. The grass in the open zone in particular is so ugly they might have been better served not including it at all.
don't worry -- the ps5 version's grass also looks horrendous. i'm pretty sure they built the other platforms' takes on the switch version because there is none of the visual fidelity you would expect, it's really appalling lmao. sonic's shadow goes away when he's on certain floors... including the ones the cutscenes are constantly focusing on in front of level entrances. they also have it so that unlike something like bayonetta where the loading screens that let you practice are seamless, the training room has to be loaded in and out so i recommend turning that feature off because it creates LONGER load times and more waiting overall even on the PS5 of all things. loadtimes went away almost completely as expected once i disabled that shit

Quote:That said, I'm still enjoying my time with it so far. I was expecting a relatively mindless open world littered with bite sized interactive segments and the game has delivered. It's easy to get in the rhythm of completing objectives, zooming across the level, beating up robots, rinse and repeat. I haven't played too many of the Cyber Space levels yet, but I was expecting a lot worse based on early impressions.
i agree with this. i actually love the open world of the game, it's technically a lot of nothing but they did well on the various little setpieces and platforming challenges. the enemies are repetitive but fun to fight and the combat is actually kinda neat, if simple, once you get some of the skills. i expected sonic heroes garbage and got... a sonic game where i like the enemy engagement. don't believe it

Quote:Maybe they get worse, but the only one I've actively disliked so far is one that was entirely in 2D. Modern Sonic feels so bad in 2D I don't know why they keep doing it.
as far as i've played i agree with this, the 3d ones are actually quite fun and better designed than the past few games even if they're really short. the 2d segments are... actually technically better than they were in the past couple of games as well, BUT stuff like the way the homing attack and boost interaction works creates some really weird jank. you can only boost once in the air so if you're gonna have to homing attack something you better have foreseen that you shouldn't be boosting beforehand otherwise you'll lose all your momentum. the bitesizedness does make them prime time attack material though, just as intended.

Quote:This game is going to be a playground for modders on PC and I can't wait to see what comes of that
whoops all denuvo
[Image: s2n7oi.png]