Poll: Should political discussion be allowed, period?

Yes
47.37%
No
52.63%
Total: 19 vote(s)

Political Discussion: Stay Or Go?

Draku
Decide.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yrrzy
politics channel was back less than a week and it already blew up
Money
It didn't blow up bc it was the politics channel, it blew up bc of a shitstorm domino effect.

That being said I'm not actually gonna argue feverently for a politics channel at this point. I think it's worthwhile bc politics talk is frankly unavoidable and the line of "what is politics" is impossible to draw bc Everything Is Political and the idea of what "political" is and isn't is shaped by the current status quo (which Isn't Good) but at this point do what you're gonna do.
Aidan
i already know all of your political opinions therefore political chat is unnecessary
There does not exist a person who says "Everything is Political, How do we stop talking about it?" that isn't insane.

I voted yes in fairness but do not for a second believe I'm happy about it
Hearts
Political discussion hardly ever achieves its intended goal here, people rarely change their minds or even disagree civilly, it's typically just begging for chaos and several members have left or gone inactive as a result of it. Politics is undeniably important and touches everything in our lives but we have to accept that this isn't the place for it.

Granted it's not always politics that causes arguments, sometimes it's anime titties or some shit. We just need to chill the fuck out in general.
sealelement
i think having a dedicated political chat instead of just allowing appropriate conversation about topics that might be considered "political" in their respective areas is the real problem. people are gonna talk about stuff that directly effects them or laugh at elon musk destroying twitter or whatever and that stuff is all political to some extent.

having a walled off and segregated political channel results in arguments or doomposting with no in between, it feels like, so consider me a political channel anti.
100% pure gamer 100%
Spritanium
It's a slippery slope and a chore to ban certain topics of discussion. Why leave MFGG in the first place if we're gonna end up doing the same thing but for anime girls instead of mario fangames
Spritanium
We're adults, and if we can't have a discussion without losing our minds it's less a problem with the topic at hand and more an attitude problem. I think we'll always find stupid things to yell at each other about, and it's always been more fun when we've leaned into that + made fun of ourselves for it. A discussion with people who see differently is invigorating; a discussion with people who are all holding their tongues is hell

Also think about how ridiculous it would be in practice to try and enforce this. If I say I believe healthcare is a human right, that's politics. I'd get a warning for that? The only politics-related thing we need to have banned is fascism and that's already covered by other rules
Spritanium
(Nov 14, 2022 at 8:55 PM)Zelma Wrote: There does not exist a person who says "Everything is Political, How do we stop talking about it?" that isn't insane.

I agree, the system that we use to inform commercial and sociological behavior throughout the entire world has pretty much nothing to do with anything
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Aidan
(Nov 15, 2022 at 4:53 PM)Spritanium Wrote: We're adults, and if we can't have a discussion without losing our minds it's less a problem with the topic at hand and more an attitude problem.

if they can't change the topic then they certainly can't change their attitude
(Nov 15, 2022 at 4:58 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Nov 14, 2022 at 8:55 PM)Zelma Wrote: There does not exist a person who says "Everything is Political, How do we stop talking about it?" that isn't insane.

I agree, the system that we use to inform commercial and sociological behavior throughout the entire world has pretty much nothing to do with anything
[Image: 9jj1lk.png]
Vertette
thats clearly political cause there are red and blue cataquacks and the red ones hurt you
Yrrzy
(Nov 15, 2022 at 6:19 PM)Zelma Wrote:
(Nov 15, 2022 at 4:58 PM)Spritanium Wrote:

[Image: 9jj1lk.png]

this is the exact self-moderation that shitty debates were able to perform when we had a single contro channel for political debates and anime boobs
Spritanium
I don't think Everything is Political; I think our attitudes and decisions are informed by the state of society at large, meaning any discussion can naturally gravitate toward politics

The discussions that make us frustrated can also get us to challenge ourselves and others. Even if nobody changes their mind, it's crucial to exercise your point of view. An unchallenged opinion is a lazy one. I think what people here need to work on is just chilling tf out and taking a break when necessary
Spritanium
(Nov 15, 2022 at 5:16 PM)Aidan Wrote: if they can't change the topic then they certainly can't change their attitude
Changing the topic shouldn't be necessary. This isn't thanksgiving dinner, we're specifically here to share thoughts, and there are probably thousands of other topics simultaneously available if you personally get tired of politics

I guess this is more of an issue on discord where there aren't thousands of threads? Either way I don't want to walk on eggshells, I feel like that goes against the spirit of MW. In beef we trust
Spritanium
Like I've personally had enlightening discussions here. I'm no longer a libertarian because of the supposedly-fruitless debates on this website. I believe in a world where one day nobody will be a libertarian lol
Spritanium
It also probably doesn't help that every political discussion I've seen on MW in the last 5 years has basically been a crash-course of the most basic "what is authority" stuff that was already argued to death in the 1870s. These arguments are just a recipe for people with fundamentally-different viewpoints on Power to get mad at each other. But that doesn't strike me as a reason to ban discussion of the unimaginably-huge umbrella that is Politics - we should work together on understanding each other, and acknowledging when we can't understand each other, and being OK with that
Spritanium
In the immortal words of Pokemon: The First Movie
[Image: p72DibI.jpeg]
[Image: supercorrect.png]
(Nov 15, 2022 at 7:13 PM)Spritanium Wrote: It also probably doesn't help that every political discussion I've seen on MW in the last 5 years has basically been a crash-course of the most basic "what is authority" stuff that was already argued to death in the 1870s. These arguments are just a recipe for people with fundamentally-different viewpoints on Power to get mad at each other. But that doesn't strike me as a reason to ban discussion of the unimaginably-huge umbrella that is Politics - we should work together on understanding each other, and acknowledging when we can't understand each other, and being OK with that

Your posts are very insightful and I agree with them fully;

they also go out the window when you realize people here are no longer capable of doing that. At least the regular political posters aren't. What instead happens is a dogpile, following a penny gallery and the eventual cease fire from both sides with mods questioning what the fuck happened the next day because they were either sleep or living their lives. I do not think we should ban political-posting when it comes up but it doesn't change my mind that people who make everything about politics are huge dorks and probably wall flowers at parties and wear scott pilgrim t-shirts.

Continue the meaningful conversations in your corner of the web spritey and I'll continue wishing some of our members deleted their twitter.