T-man
Congratulations to Spritey for winning the death pool

As established in the previous thread, I am not super confident with my computer diagnostic and repair skills but I'm pretty sure this old girl is out to pasture. I powered up my computer one day to see Windows wanting to run a disk check, I let that run and everything seemed to be running fine for a couple days until I restarted my computer. I left it to run check disk again but this time I came back to a computer that was powered off and could no longer boot Windows. I wanted to try some command prompt shenanigans in safe mode but the command prompt told me the C drive was in read only mode.

What do you think MW, is it a goner? As my go-to tech support forum I trust you to check my homework. My read of the situation is that I'm gonna need to swap out the hard drive and reinstall Windows, right? Should I get a SSD instead? Most importantly, should I even bother when any other component is liable to die any day now?
Draku
it's dead jim, windows trying to do a disk check is the mark of death even if it seems ok otherwise and you're well past that point.

buy an ssd and reinstall windows

hard drives are far more prone to failure than other parts, your cmos battery will probably give at some point but that's an easy fix. though if you really wanted to you could use this as an excuse to get a new build going, even though it's not necessary.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Aidan
did it died
Spritanium
Have you tried just getting it new legs? The rest of it might be fine
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Apr 15, 2023 at 12:31 AM)Spritanium Wrote: Have you tried just getting it new legs? The rest of it might be fine
He said it was its LAST legs idiot. You can't add any more after that
[Image: s2n7oi.png]