Draku
(Aug 9, 2023 at 5:32 PM)T-man Wrote: too bad all of that is completely invalidated by the fact that you can spray a path of water in front of you and slide on it really fast
THE ONLY FUN THING IN THE ENTIRE GAME
Draku
IMAGINE FINE TUNING MARIO'S MOVESET IN MARIO 64 AND SPENDING TONS OF THE DEV TIME SOLELY TO MAKE HIM AS FUN AND INTERESTING TO CONTROL AS POSSIBLE

THEN THROW ALLLLLLL OF THAT SHIT OUT AND MAKE HIM BORING AS HELL TO PLAY AS AND SLAP ON THE FLUDD WITH THE HOVER NOZZLE THAT KILLS ALL MOMENTUM AND BECAUSE YOU HAVE THAT GARBAGE OH FUCK I GUESS WE CANT HAVE THE LONG JUMP ANYMORE HUH????

OH YOU CAN SPRAY WATER AND KILL THINGS VERY SLOWLY WITH THAT SO WHY SHOULD HE BE ABLE TO PUNCH EITHER NO ONE LIKED THAT AFTER ALL

ITS A MIRACLE THEY DIDNT CHOP OFF MARIO'S LEGS BECAUSE HE CAN TECHNICALLY SLIDE AROUND ON WATER NOW HONESTLY
Draku
mario odyssey is also nowhere near as fun to play inherently as mario 64 because of how momentum-based analog movement is kneecapped just like in sunshine because i guess everyone forgot how to use an analog stick after the n64's lifespan was over

but at least mario's cappy-based moveset in that game is pretty varied/snappy with the transformations offering interesting shit i suppose
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
I think you're a bit glass-half-empty on Mario Sunshine. I agree with all the good things you see in it and all the bad things you see in it. The good parts are enough to win me over. The best part by far is the fact that I played it when I was 8, which makes it into a neverending supply of dopamine
Spritanium
Also I legitimately want to play a game where Mario broke his leg
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Aug 9, 2023 at 6:30 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I think you're a bit glass-half-empty on Mario Sunshine. I agree with all the good things you see in it and all the bad things you see in it. The good parts are enough to win me over. The best part by far is the fact that I played it when I was 8, which makes it into a neverending supply of dopamine
I played it after Mario 64 on a console I had to wait years to get. It was the most disappointing experience imaginable.

I would have thought returning to it years and years later after the fact with the trilogy collection would let me look at it under a fresh lens but it only made me more angry at the game than ever considering that they put Mario 64 in the same collection so I once again immediately saw just how terrible it was by comparison.

It's just so difficult to find even a single redeeming factor about the game honestly. In order to make the game good you would essentially have to completely overhaul most of the stages. It's just so much to fix. Ricco Harbor is by far the best stage but even that has the hilariously awful Yoshi shine in it, pointless extra or not.

Bianco Hills has potential but it's so aimless. Their goal of trying to fit the village stuff in and make it a rEaL eNvIrOnMeNt made it feel cluttered and messy. There isn't a unified direction to the level's design and there's so many competing ideas. It feels like multiple mediocre levels fighting over territory and I don't want any of them to win.

Gelato Beach is, uh, okay I guess. I don't think the Sand Bird is anywhere near what it's memed up to be but it's still super janky. The actual level doesn't have that much wrong with it, it's just not particularly memorable.

Pinna Park has that whole weird spectacle with the minigame star and you'd think with its theming it'd be pretty fun but it's such a small area. If I recall it was meant to be another hub world section and not an actual level and getting the shines here reflects this, they do not feel like getting the shines in a normal stage. Hell, two of the stars have you go off to the side to an area they had to sneak in to try to put more content into.

[Image: RmA7A03.png]
Also it has this in it so fuck it.

Sirena Beach is one of the worst Mario levels ever made, flat out. And even then Pianta Village blows it out of the water there which is downright impressive really. It opens with a tedious sludge cleanup mission and only gets worse from there once you go into the hotel. Nothing about the hotel is conducive to a fun Mario level experience. Again, them trying to make it feel REEL just made it not fun at all. How the hell did they get that design philosophy so right with Ricco Harbor (i.e. nothing has to actually make sense and just give it a themed tileset then make a mario 64 level) and fail at it so bad with all of the others?!

Noki Bay is trying to be a new form of Tall Tall Mountain or Tick Tock Clock but it just doesn't really have it. I don't hate it because they certainly tried with the main path, but the big pool of water in the middle is anti-fun and it has those underwater shines about teeth cleaning and red coins that control abysmally because no one had time to playtest them.

I don't think I need to say anything about Pianta Village. That shit feels like it came out of someone's first romhack. Even one glance over the full layout would make anyone scratch their head at what the hell the devs were thinking.

Corona Mountain is not a stage, much less a final one. It's an embarrassment. The Bowser levels in 64 are all incredible bouts of straight up platforming challenges that still take on the core aspects of 64's level design where you can craftily work up and past said challenges if you experiment and know what you're doing with Mario's moves. Corona Mountain has, uh, a janky boat. It's not actually hard to navigate with or anything unlike the usual complaint, it just sucks and isn't fun even when you know how it works. It's no substitute for a real level. And the final boss? A laughingstock to literally everyone. Also FLUDD dies suddenly because...

I don't know...?
Spritanium
Honestly I'm relieved that somebody else finally feels passionately about this game
Dude
(Aug 9, 2023 at 5:30 PM)Draku Wrote: you don't have to mod dk64 to fix anything about it though, it's just a flat out good game that's actually finished
somebody's about to get beaver bother'd

i know this is supposed to be a shot at a shit game but dk64 is so backloaded with minigames that i'm pretty sure it's not actually finished properly
rushed out the door at least
Yrrzy
(Aug 9, 2023 at 6:31 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also I legitimately want to play a game where Mario broke his leg

Draku
(Aug 9, 2023 at 9:59 PM)Dude Wrote:
(Aug 9, 2023 at 5:30 PM)Draku Wrote: you don't have to mod dk64 to fix anything about it though, it's just a flat out good game that's actually finished
somebody's about to get beaver bother'd

i know this is supposed to be a shot at a shit game but dk64 is so backloaded with minigames that i'm pretty sure it's not actually finished properly
rushed out the door at least
That's fair enough, but with the amount of heart put into stuff like the bosses and all and just how much there is to everything in the game regardless, I never really got the sense that it was sorely lacking in any way.

Certainly not anywhere near the level of fucking Sunshine of all games where it's practically held together with glue and plays like a Beta build at best.
Spritanium
My special ability is that I can derail any thread to make it be about Mario Sunshine
sealelement
(Aug 9, 2023 at 9:44 AM)Vertette Wrote:
(Aug 9, 2023 at 1:47 AM)sealelement Wrote: i can't not ask for as many details as possible here. so he's this guy that you guys all know that just pretends to be a girl online to date other women... but purely for the thrill of the hunt, instead of a trans or kink thing?

no no, let me explain better

back when i was 13, so about 14 years ago, me and dj coco met through this chick from mfgg, let's call her aspergirl. our sense of humor was similar so the three of us quickly became good friends. our social circle included some other obscure mfgg members and some others im pretty sure nobody remembers. anyway, aspergirl was a lesbian but still dated dj coco for a brief time for some reason, they broke up, and a few years later when i was 18 or so she got a new girlfriend, some obscure indie dev. anyway aspergirl, her "girlfriend" and dj coco planned to make an indie game together so girlfriend makes a skype account and added coco as a friend so they could all communicate. "she" put up a fucking photo of himself, beard and all, as his skype profile pic and dj coco got confused and asked who it was, and it turns out that was "her". aspergirl's "girlfriend" was actually a dude, but pretended to be a woman online for some reason (again, he wasn't trans or a crossdresser or whatever, we asked) and he apparently didn't realize other people could see his avatar so oops the secret was out now

so dj coco told everyone in our social group and we were all surprised and confused. i tried to offer aspergirl my sympathy, saying "im sorry to hear your boyfriend lied about being a girl", but she stayed in denial about the whole thing replying with "wdym im not dating a guy" so i was like ok sure whatever, if that's how you're gonna be about it. so next morning i check my friend list and found aspergirl removed me from her friend list and after checking with coco this extended to everyone else in our social circle as well (including mechasonic/raikyo). we were both pretty confused and ended up confronting her boyfriend on a public forum (where they were both moderators) for lying and manipulating aspergirl, only to get permabanned by her, at which point she added me back on skype to ask me what the fuck we were thinking. there i asked her what the hell was going on and she said "well i got mad at coco for telling everyone and you for insulting my girlfriend" and i was like "i never insulted her how did you even get that impression" and she just responded "oh well it happens". i was pretty pissed that she would throw away a close friendship over some dumb misunderstanding so she could keep pretending to be a lesbian, so i told her to fuck a rake and blocked her

and that's the whole story lmao

bruh

thank you for spilling this tea it gives me life.

shame on the rest of you for getting into your ten thousandth argument about super mario sunshine when THIS post exists in this thread.
100% pure gamer 100%
Logan Paul
(Aug 9, 2023 at 11:22 PM)Yrrzy Wrote:
(Aug 9, 2023 at 6:31 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Also I legitimately want to play a game where Mario broke his leg

Shoutouts to Simpleflips
Vertette
(Aug 10, 2023 at 3:28 AM)sealelement Wrote: thank you for spilling this tea it gives me life.
yw and super mario 64 and sunshine are both good games with some shitty flaws and it doesn't matter which one is better cause odyssey is the best 3d mario anyway, don't argue with this post
Spritanium
I don't like how they called it odyssey and there weren't even any lotus eaters. They should've called it Super Mario takes a trip around the world except for Isle Delfino which was destroyed by a nuclear bomb
Vertette
nah a chuckster threw the entire island upside down and it sank
Spritanium
[Image: atlaspianta.png]
Vertette
so where the fuck is the chuckster spell @Spritanium