Is there a name for the adults who go to the store and buy up all the Pokemon cards

Spritanium
I'm finding that 2010s brony behavior has infected other franchises, and some dude with a $5000 paycheck will just go to walmart and buy all the pokemon cards, keeping/reselling the rare cards and unceremoniously packing away the rest. Then they'll go on reddit and post about their "haul" as if scalping children's toys is normal and acceptable behavior

Personally I used to go to Toys R Us as a kid, there would be a huge pokemon aisle and a distinct lack of 30 year olds competing with my allowance. Is this a new thing where people think that once they have a career, they are now an upgraded Mega Child with fully maxxed perks? Because in my mind it's actually fucked up to steal a child's opportunity at experiencing the same magic that you experienced, the magic that now functions as a high for you to chase as a directionless adult. Most of the appeal of a thing like trading cards is that each pack costs the same amount and you might get lucky. To just throw a bunch of money at that experience like it's a slot machine strikes me as chillingly cynical

Anyway I'm just wondering if there's already a slur for these people, and if not let's make one Peeved
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
yes, it's f--
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
Shadow admins strike again. Let Draku speak
Fun With Despair
as with any scalper, the term is probably "total cunt"

there's an organized crime ring here that approaches and offers like 13 year olds a couple hundred dollars to go into stores and steal pokemon cards and deliver the rare ones, which of course they'll do because $200 seems like a lot to a kid (three video games!). I don't think any store here even keeps trading cards on the shelf anymore because they're so frequently taken en masse. You have to go to the front counter and request them, which probably turns off a lot of adults because jesus christ how embarrassing.
Logan Paul
Scalper

I don't know if there is a Pokemon specific term though.
Spritanium
Somehow it feels distinct from regular scalping, like a lot of these people don't even realize they're doing anything wrong, they can just afford to beat mathematical odds and then brag about how lucky they are

Someone scalping on purpose (like FWD's crime ring example) has definitely just abandoned all morality, but then you have these guys who just hoard the store's entire supply because they want the Cool Cards. There's an extra layer of immaturity and ignorance at play
Draku
(Aug 7, 2023 at 3:54 PM)Logan Paul Wrote: Scalper

Yeah, Spritey isn't talking about scalping specifically here. There are genuine losers who do it in all seriousness without the financial gain being the primary motivator.
Nightwheel
Technically, the term is Scalper

Cunt, asshole, asshat, fucker, motherfucker, dick and dickwad are also valid terms.
Yrrzy
HEROES buying up all the GAMBLING CARDS so children cant be tempted
Spritanium
I guess they are technically lootcrates. I think what makes it okay is that even if you have no good pulls, the pack is pretty much worth the price of admission
Emperor
I know a couple dudes who do this and post their hauls on Discord; they seem to just genuinely like Pokemon (and the TCG) and have lots of money to spend. They'll stream themselves opening packs and freaking out when they pull an ultra rare foil shiny Wooper EX. I don't condone it but I don't think there's any malice
Spritanium
Yeah I don't think there's malice, it just seems self-centered. It's like someone is selling pie and I love pie so I buy every single available slice. Like yeah you have the money, but it sucks that other pie lovers get left out, and it makes the pie hobby less enjoyable for the majority
Vertette
id call them "virgins"
Spritanium
(Aug 7, 2023 at 6:35 PM)Vertette Wrote: id call them "virgins"
I think we have a winner
Emperor
(Aug 7, 2023 at 6:34 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Yeah I don't think there's malice, it just seems self-centered. It's like someone is selling pie and I love pie so I buy every single available slice. Like yeah you have the money, but it sucks that other pie lovers get left out, and it makes the pie hobby less enjoyable for the majority

Yea I feel this way when someone else buys up all of the best flavor of my favorite cereal and I have to get almond crunch or some shit instead
Yrrzy
when someone buys up all of the toilet paper and i have to walk out of the bathroom with a wet ass
Spritanium
There's nothing wrong with a wet ass, Cardi B wrote a whole song about it. I don't like the part where she calls me a pussy though
Sakuya
Whales. Although we could come up for a new term for someone who is scalper and whale. Whale shark! Sunfish! For Pokémon cards... wailord!
T-man

Team Rocket
Draku
(Aug 8, 2023 at 1:55 AM)T-man Wrote:

Team Rocket
more like team pocket