Spritanium
Do we have a thread for this already? Oh well. It looks really good, I actually think they could've released this as a numbered entry in the Super Mario Bros. series but I guess they're done with that. It doesn't look or feel like NSMB at all. Motion is really excellent and almost disneylike, every animation is really a delight to look at.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Elyk
strand type game
Spritanium
Personally I can't enjoy a Mario game unless I have to retry every difficult part 100 times
Draku
it looks like they did a bunch of interesting things with it, i'm excited now actually despite not initially being so.

the badge system is especially cool, i love shit like that.

yoshi being a unique and interesting alternate playstyle is a great idea... but why did they make them the invulnerable easy mode too rather than that being a toggle?! absolutely ridiculous, there's even features like player riding that are locked behind someone playing yoshi but you have to disable fun to do it. fucking stupid
Draku
(Aug 31, 2023 at 3:31 PM)Elyk Wrote: strand type game
this aspect seems completely obnoxious, definitely never using the online. yeah here you go, a bunch of idiots running around on your screen making an already visually busy game filled with even more shit running around

JUST WHAT I WANTED IN A MARIO GAME, ANY TIME I DO SOMETHING CHALLENGING THERE IS A FREE REVIVE RIGHT THERE ON THE SCREEN

the standee thing would be cute, if that was like, the only feature and it was just leaving your mark on courses i would love it but having it be ANOTHER revive thing is really dumb, at least with it being so you have to touch active players it makes it a "hey what a coincidence" deal.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
King Piranha Plant
Personally I felt as if Wonder looked exactly like NSMB but like they finally put effort and personality into it. (like NSMB done correctly) It's like the thing NSMB was missing was any semblance of identity, the sorta randomness and unpredictability that made the series special was pretty absent

(Aug 31, 2023 at 3:33 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Personally I can't enjoy a Mario game unless I have to retry every difficult part 100 times

This 1000% though
Elyk
(Aug 31, 2023 at 7:21 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Aug 31, 2023 at 3:31 PM)Elyk Wrote: strand type game
this aspect seems completely obnoxious, definitely never using the online. yeah here you go, a bunch of idiots running around on your screen making an already visually busy game filled with even more shit running around

JUST WHAT I WANTED IN A MARIO GAME, ANY TIME I DO SOMETHING CHALLENGING THERE IS A FREE REVIVE RIGHT THERE ON THE SCREEN

the standee thing would be cute, if that was like, the only feature and it was just leaving your mark on courses i would love it but having it be ANOTHER revive thing is really dumb, at least with it being so you have to touch active players it makes it a "hey what a coincidence" deal.

enjoy having 0 likes on your account
Draku
(Aug 31, 2023 at 7:49 PM)King Piranha Plant Wrote: Personally I felt as if Wonder looked exactly like NSMB but like they finally put effort and personality into it. (like NSMB done correctly) It's like the thing NSMB was missing was any semblance of identity, the sorta randomness and unpredictability that made the series special was pretty absent
The graphical style still feels really lifeless and sterile but at least it has some personality in the ideas yeah.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
I really like games with light socialization elements so I thought the weird online ghost mode looked cool. Kind of reminds me of the holograms in the lobby of Splatoon 3. I find a profound joy in trying to communicate solely through the movements of your player character, games of that nature have given me some of my favorite interactions online. I foresee a lot of people fucking around the first screen crouching repeatedly
King Piranha Plant
(Aug 31, 2023 at 10:53 PM)Draku Wrote: The graphical style still feels really lifeless and sterile but at least it has some personality in the ideas yeah.

Yeah it's still a confirmation that Nintendo is basically Disney now in terms of branding, everything looks like they're trying to sell it as a toy

(Aug 31, 2023 at 11:01 PM)T-man Wrote: I really like games with light socialization elements so I thought the weird online ghost mode looked cool. Kind of reminds me of the holograms in the lobby of Splatoon 3. I find a profound joy in trying to communicate solely through the movements of your player character, games of that nature have given me some of my favorite interactions online. I foresee a lot of people fucking around the first screen crouching repeatedly

This is slightly off the same point but I'd still love a Mario platformer that feels open world, like you could individually enter levels on your own online but meet up with each other. Or if in the same room, would even be cool just have this co-op adventure vibe similar to how Donkey Kong Country did it
Spritanium
I really like the art. They all look like clay figurines and they brought the 3/4 view back so it looks like Super Mario World
T-man
(Aug 31, 2023 at 11:59 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I really like the art. They all look like clay figurines and they brought the 3/4 view back so it looks like Super Mario World
The art is so fuckin good, it takes so many design cues from the 2D art, I love it

[Image: F43abK5akAAIniP.png]

Boos have their prominent upper lip and their brow is looking particularly curvy
Spritanium
Yeah that's what it is, you're right. It's like they had someone make 3D models using the 2D art as a reference without looking at the regular 3D versions
T-man

Gamescom footage, looks great. You can hear a bit of new Mario and Luigi, they sound okay. Shows some footage with the player ghosts and it's everything I hoped it would be from the direct. There's a moment where Luigi dies and a Mario player places a standee for him, shares a mushroom with him after he respawns and Luigi hits him with a ":D" I like that you can communicate with stickers, I wonder if you'll be able to unlock more and select which ones you can use. We saw players use a heart in the direct, but in the gamescom footage when Mario brings up a wheel of four choices the heart is nowhere to be seen.

The little animated flair when picking up a power up is awesome
Spritanium
Luigi actually sounds great. Martinet's voice in Luigi's Mansion 3 had gotten kinda weird, he sounds almost like Waluigi in that game
T-man
You can turn off the talking flower's voice, apparently

I'm not fond of modern video games' compulsion to fill the air at every possible moment so this is very welcome news. In Crash 4 there would be moments during levels where an off-screen character would talk to you via a speaker or something and you could break the speaker if you didn't want to hear it, I always thought that was a neat touch.
T-man
[Image: talking-flower.png]
Spritanium
I actually might try to leave the annoying flower voices on at first. I don't hate the idea of talking signs (which is all these are), but it does bug me that the actor performs all the lines like he's reading a bedtime story to a 3-year-old. It feels really saccharine, whereas if they hired actual voice actors from movies/cartoons to do some weird little gremlin voices it could've been really funny.
Yrrzy
https://twitter.com/MarioIsBroken/status...5251382345
how do i embed twitter videos
T-man
toad has much more defined legs like in the movie

[Image: 20230901-192502.jpg]