T-man

it looks so good you guys, its all the best elements of the new paper mario art style while simultaneously being incredibly faithful. i like how in lieu of paper outlines they gave the individual pieces depth with a white edge

the only problem is that it wasnt a shadow drop
Draku
I sincerely hope the worst parts of the padding are fixed.

Personally I like 64 over TTYD but TTYD would gain a lot more points with me if it wasn't so painful to replay.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
partners have backsprites now
[Image: 20230914-122752.jpg]
[Image: Screenshot-20230914-122705.jpg]
anything is possible
Dude
i hate pretty much all the art style changes but i'm an old fart now that hates change
this better do numbers over origami king somehow
Briraka
it's been 20 years, but we finally have good mario content again
Draku
the hyper reflective floors are distracting and the lighting in the ms mowz scene is REALLY bad (this appears to be an isolated incident) but otherwise it looks pretty damn good to me
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
Very happy about this

Everyone buy 5 copies so Nintendo starts making new Paper Marios like this again
Spritanium
It is kinda weird that they didn't remake 64 first. But I definitely like TTYD better, it doesn't really become a slog halfway through like 64 does (imo)
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
(Sep 14, 2023 at 4:53 PM)Spritanium Wrote: It is kinda weird that they didn't remake 64 first. But I definitely like TTYD better, it doesn't really become a slog halfway through like 64 does (imo)
It kind of makes sense from the perspective that Paper Mario 64 has been accessible for three generations of consoles now while The Thousand Year Door has never left its original platform, and people were pretty vocal about this game in particular
Spritanium
Ah yeah I forgot they had it on the virtual console
Spritanium
Do you think future entries in the series will go back to the white-outline style? I've noticed that style is actually closer to PM64 since it's just sprites rendered on a flat plane. The TTYD characters are more like paper marionettes (pun not intended but I love it)
T-man
I hope not, I always thought the paper marionette style looked much more sophisticated. I liked catching a glimpse of how the pieces were layered when characters turned in the original game. Although I do think it's cute when they bend and twist the models like paper in the newer games and would like if they still utilized opportunities to do that
King Piranha Plant
Duuuude I'm just so happy to see Nintendo allowing and acknowledging the unique character designs that go against their new concrete branding bullshit
Spritanium
It really looks so much better with unique characters and I've never seen a single person claim otherwise. It's crazy that in newer PM games your partners just look like dudes you should be stomping to death.
Spritanium
I'm watching this trailer again, and I think the reason it's so impressive is that it looks the way the original TTYD looks in my memory. Maybe that's a weird way to put it? I guess it looks the way I thought the original looked back when I was playing it on a shitty TV. It's interesting because they look very different side-by-side, but the same essence is there.