Spritanium
Has anyone picked this game up? I never played the original WarioWare games for the GBA or DS, but I had the Wii one (Smooth Moves) growing up, and it was always one of my favorite games. I loved how it really leaned into the gimmicky nature of the wiimote/nunchuck and built a quality, funny game around that.

When I picked up the latest entry for the Switch, honestly I had no idea that it was a direct sequel to Smooth Moves. I was so fucking stoked when I saw they brought back the zen instructor guy teaching me yoga poses for my joycons.

So far this is a 10/10 party game and, surprisingly, a decent workout compared to just sitting on the couch. It really makes you want to stand up and play, in a way that doesn't feel as condescending as an actual workout game. I guess it's a workout game for fat people (as depicted on the cover)

[Image: Wario-Ware-Move-It-Review.webp]
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Fun With Despair
I have double joycon drift so I can't play this without spending over a hundred dollars so despite liking WarioWare I probably won't ever really get to try this one
T-man
Smooth Moves was a favorite of mine growing up too and I was very excited to see this game pop up in a direct. Unfortunately I think I'm probably gonna give it a miss until it goes on sale, I just don't get much value out of Wii-style party games these days. I did watch all the cutscenes on YouTube like I did with WarioWare Gold and they were just as delightful

I really liked the previous WarioWare on Switch and am a little bummed to see how divisive it was. I'd be lying if I said I didn't see where people were coming from considering the story mode is basically a giant tutorial for all the characters, if you played with someone who didn't get a chance to learn each character one by one they would be totally lost. Still a fun single player entry, though
Draku
(Nov 6, 2023 at 4:48 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: I have double joycon drift so I can't play this without spending over a hundred dollars so despite liking WarioWare I probably won't ever really get to try this one
It doesn't really use the analog sticks at all, it's almost entirely motion and button based. You could enjoy this fine with drift.

As far as this game goes though, Smooth Moves was better. This gets REALLY creative with the Joycon use down to even utilizing the straps for gameplay effectively, but it tries to be TOO precise and gimmicky with what it does at times and winds up missing the mark of playabilty as a result. With Smooth Moves you never worried too much about the motion controls messing you up because the games were made with the Wii's impreciseness in mind. This, they expect you to be fucking laser accurate and if you even slightly deviate from what they want you to do you'll fail. The microgame timers are tighter than ever in this one too making the problem worse, which is especially annoying because they got so damn cutesy with the microgames this go around so you have to actually spend a moment trying to figure out what the actual hell they even want you to do half the time when you only have 3 or 4 seconds max to actually do the game. (Further not helped by them introducing more extra fail states than ever that you may or may not realize are coming when playing. Also, it feels like all of the super simple microgames that work correctly every time have super long timers but the ones that are like STOP THE NUCLEAR REACTOR FROM GOING CRITICAL! with no elaboration and have multiple steps to finish have the bomb timer already about to explode by the time you've read the text. Makes me wonder what the hell was going on during playtesting.)

I'm sure I'll like it more once I've learned all the microgames and gotten used to the varying levels of jank per microgame, but jesus christ this one is just ridiculous the first time through, and I usually blaze through these games no trouble. I feel like they put the revive mechanic in for your first story mode run of the main stages because they knew they fucked up and that you'd have to learn a fair number of the microgames rather than intuitively clear them unlike every other game in the series.

I was very happy that the Dance Final Boss was back from Smooth Moves and played perfectly. Incredibly based.

It's not a bad game at all and had tons of heart put into it, but man. I fucking LOVE WarioWare but this one is gonna have to grow on me.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
I loved the revive mechanic, felt like I didn't have to worry too much about getting it right the first time around. With 2 players there's also a mechanic that lets you retry a game the other person failed to avoid losing a point
Draku
(Nov 6, 2023 at 9:12 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I loved the revive mechanic, felt like I didn't have to worry too much about getting it right the first time around. With 2 players there's also a mechanic that lets you retry a game the other person failed to avoid losing a point
That's kind of interesting, I haven't gotten a chance to do the co-op yet.

And yes, it is basically impossible to fail the first time through thanks to the revive mechanic, but I don't like that it almost feels like they added it because of how ill-suited the microgames are to blind play this time. The other games were always a blast to go through and figure everything out the first time, this one it feels like it takes like 2-3 runs of some games to finally get what exactly is going on or figure out a weird hidden fail state.

As I said I think once I play it more I'll like it because it seems excellent for challenging and fast-paced replays where you know the games. If it's anything like Smooth Moves the versus multiplayer stuff has gotta be awesome too, that was one of the best party games out there back in the day.
Draku
Update: I have played through the main campaign in co-op.

That was a much better experience. The game is WAY better when you know all of its tricks and are more used to the jankiness of how some of the stuff works. Still had a number of failed games from when I or the person I was playing with simply had our Joycons freak out on us, but it's a lot nicer when you have the safety net of the other person being able to do the microgame for a save. Hell, that by itself "fixes" the way the games work the first time in a sense -- the other person is watching you fail and can see the intended way of play to nail it the next time. Still would be better if the games were designed better like in past titles, but I mean, it works well enough once you DO know how the games go so whatever. I feel vindicated because the person I played it with screwed up in all the same ways I did the first time and expressed a lot of my same complaints without me bringing them up myself.

Super fucking fun co-op experience all around though. I like how many of the games were actually intended for co-op the entire time and the fast flow of the game gets even more smooth with the way turns are handled. P1 > P2 > Co-op Game > Repeat is excellent and you feel like you're through a stage in no time flat.
Spritanium
Yeah it's a great party game. I can imagine it being a bit less fun to play single-player
King Piranha Plant
It's a freaking blast and reminds me of Smooth Moves but seems more rushed. I miss having incentive to get high scores with the replay value in order to unlock stuff. Even when it was for arbitrary little toys like in Wario Ware Touched. So as much as I'm digging it, Move It has been making me really want to purchase and play older titles in the series. I never actually tried Get It Together so might have to pick that one up soon.

Overall though I'm glad they made this and have been having a lot of fun with it :)
Draku
(Dec 8, 2023 at 8:24 PM)King Piranha Plant Wrote: It's a freaking blast and reminds me of Smooth Moves but seems more rushed. I miss having incentive to get high scores with the replay value in order to unlock stuff. Even when it was for arbitrary little toys like in Wario Ware Touched. So as much as I'm digging it, Move It has been making me really want to purchase and play older titles in the series. I never actually tried Get It Together so might have to pick that one up soon.

Overall though I'm glad they made this and have been having a lot of fun with it :)
Twisted's huge catalogue of extra toys and such (As you mention, Touched had the same sort of thing but scaled down) was THE greatest feature and it pains me immensely that it'll never return. It just ain't quite Warioware without all of the little stupid doodads. At least they still included a few minigames for this one like always.