Spooks?
File Repository

Documents publicly revealed in the game will be posted here. They will be linked to in this original post as more are posted, sorted by category. Anomaly Files can be found in the Anomaly Record thread.

Bureau Files

Whisper Valley

Whisper Valley Murder Investigation

Traveler's Journal

Misc. Documents
Spooks?

Quote:
Traveler’s Journal [ENGLISH TRANSLATION] - pg. 1

I depart today, from my village in this frozen corner of the earth, to understand what we have lost - our knowledge of this world’s magic. As a people, we persist through our hardships, yet the old stories tell of bountiful life, even in the tundra in which we reside.

I have studied what I could from the small village I called my home, but I have reached a stalling point, our people too fearful of the Plague's return to preserve records of our mythology. Yet, we are not the only denizens of this world, and so… I shall seek them out. Perhaps in their cultures, in their stories, I may find my answers.

We are not permitted to return upon leaving. Knowledge of the old magics, even gained incidentally, they say, is too dangerous. To depart is to be exiled as those who bore the tome..

…Today, I have gathered my crucial belongings. I have no family, no ties to this place, but when I return, they will greet me not as an exile but as a savior.

Today… I begin my journey.
Spooks?
You present the Geology Memo

Quote:ATTENTION:

Samples 9-C, 4-S, and 2-B have been transported to the ______ ___ for further analysis and ________ readings.

If determined to be successful candidates for [REDACTED], samples will not be returned. Please adjust inventory accordingly.

You are doing good work
Spooks?
[Image: mineshaftmap_zi7kxp.png]
Spooks?
[Image: spooksposter3_hl5sxb.png]
Spooks?
Quote:
Whisper Valley Times - “Letters to the Editor” (August 14th, 2008)

Mayor disappoints again
Mayor Stephens was voted in only one year ago, and yet he's already managed to turn our little town into a joke. His soft-on-crime stance has completely ruined the safe home we once had. I mean really, a serial killer of all things? Ask anyone - such a thing was so far in the realms of fantasy before a few months ago that we'd never have even thought it possible. What are we supposed to do if this mess isn't cleaned up by October? The Halloween Festival is the main thing that drives our businesses - the lifeblood of our town! Get him out of here, I say, and bring in someone willing to empower our own police force, not weaken it to the point of needing the FBI to take over for them.

- H. Nelman

Competition desperately needed in the Hotel space
My brother and I have been in town for a few months now, dealing with personal affairs. While I must admit, I'm used to far more upscale vacationing spots than this, the fact that there's only two miserable motels in the entire town is unacceptable. Is this not supposed to be a tourist destination? Are they expected to spend their stay in the campground, or perhaps sleep in the streets with the stray dogs? Both would surely be preferable options to the Whisper Valley Inn, and even that is leagues about the glorified shack they call the Midnight Motel. It's no wonder this town is slowly rotting away, anyone with a dollar to their name would have a more comfortable vacation if they died in the ditch on the highway in.

-R. Wexlyn

Reopen the mines!
My grandfather worked these mines, day in and day out. He was able to build a family off the backs of these mines, and our younger generations don't have that same opportunity. The mines have been sitting closed for damn near a century, and they'll stay closed for damn near another if the town council has anything to say about it. We can't survive off glorified trick-or-treating and urban legends forever - reopen the mines!

- G. Elm
Spooks?

Quote:
Whisper Valley Times - “Serial Killer Still At Large” (September 9th, 2008)

Yesterday, the fourth body since the killings began in June of this year was discovered in the bathroom stall at Rusty's Pub & Grill, a popular establishment in the southeast quadrant of Whisper Valley. While details have not been released on the identity of the victim, authorities have mentioned that it is indeed connected to the rest of the killings that have occurred over the past several months, citing a recurring symbol that appears to have been carved into several of the bodies with a blade.

Agent Simon Sinclair of the FBI Special Investigations Unit has given the following statement on the murder investigation as the body count continues to rise, despite the best efforts of the authorities:

"While we haven't yet identified the killer, we've managed to de-confirm several key suspects, and track a consistent pattern across the murders. The killer doesn't seem to be choosing their victims based on any notable traits or personal connections or location, with the murders occurring across the town at large. We believe there may be an occult aspect to the murders, with the killer's signature carvings resembling an unknown sigil or esoteric icon of some sort. Currently, we are working with a civilian consultant to determine the origin and significance of this symbol.

Citizens are urged to be cautious when alone in public places after the hour of 6 PM, and stay alert regardless of their perceived safety. I promise you, we WILL bring this criminal to justice, and we WILL restore light to this town, that has so far spent the last several months in the deepest darkness because of this individual's actions."

Rusty's Pub & Grill will remain open to the public, though hours of operation have been reduced to 11 AM - 10 PM.

There is text written on the back as well, though in what looks to be permanent marker...

SYMBOL FILE REFERENCE NUMBER: 37-B [RESTRICTED FILES]
Spooks?

Quote:
[Traveler’s Journal - English Translation (pg. 3)]

This sweltering heat… I had not thought such a thing was possible back in my home. I am ill adapted to this climate indeed. Yet, as I sit by their life-giving river and write these pages, I see my journey has not brought me here for no reason - beneath these sands, there is much to learn. The culture of this place spans dynasties, the distant _________ a testament to fallen kings, and fallen empires with them.

The people speak of gods of equal parts animal and man, representing different aspects of our world. It is different, yet in some regards, not unlike the surviving lore of my land. They speak of a great ________ beneath the earth, beaten back by the light of the heavens upon each dawn. They speak of a traitor God, midnight-black in form and resembling no animal - not unlike the ruinous Black _______ that betrayed our ancient people.

Of course, the lost dynasties… the consuming sands… They obfuscate the truth. Each account, a different tale. Some details mismatched, some lost to time itself. Yet despite the blistering condition of their home - the polar opposite to my own - they prosper nonetheless. Perhaps their worship has merit yet.
Spooks?
Quote:
Boatkeeper’s Journal

In my years since working here, I can’t say I’ve seen as much activity out on the lake as I have recently. I don’t typically keep journals, but with how much I’ve been lending out the key, I figure I should write this down in case it gets lost.

The Director’s been going out there a lot, mostly - along with one of his _______, a _____ in a ___. Can’t remember her name, she’s never given it. Doesn’t talk much at all, actually.. There’s a small building out there - been there myself, of course, but whatever’s going on in there, it’s been locked up tight. “Under Construction” signs everywhere - until recently.

Checked it out myself after it opened up too - seems to be some kind of elevator, heading deep beneath the lake. Didn’t have a keycard, of course… but I’d wager both of them did. I don’t much like going out there anymore though

Mirror Lake used to be calm, peaceful. Lately though… this strange white glow… I catch glimpses of it in the night. Something big down there, something that wasn’t there before. Don’t like it. Not one bit.
Spooks?

Quote:
Autopsy Report - Whisper Valley Murder Investigation

Autopsy Report
September 8th, 2008
Overseeing Agent: S. Sinclair

Description of Scene: Body was discovered in the wheelchair accessible stall in the Men’s washroom at “Rusty’s Pub & Grill”. The door remained locked with the body inside, indicating that the killer left via the gap under the bottom. A common serrated was located in the stall itself next to the victim’s body, matching the wounds on the victim’s body and imprints left by the blade on their bones underneath wounded areas. Origin of the weapon is unknown. DNA evidence difficult to recover due to the nature of the scene and abundance of DNA from multiple patrons.

Examination Results: Victim has been identified as _______________, 41. Toxicology reports indicate a high level of _________ consumption, though not fatal levels. Victim’s body is bruised, with the bruises having been caused pre-mortem. Patterns of bruising are consistent with blunt force trauma from the toilet, pipes, and walls inside the bathroom stall.

Cause of death appears to be blood loss and internal trauma, due to various stab wounds across the body and an unidentified symbol carved into the victim’s chest [SEE RESTRICTED FILE _____]. All injuries appear to have been sustained while the victim was still alive.
Spooks?
[Image: FBI_lgs02w.png]
Spooks?
Quote:
Anomalous Energy Report - Categorizing the Unknown

Through researching Anomalies across our various facilities, we have been able to isolate the source of their mysterious traits. Though some would refer to it as “Magic”, or simply “Supernatural power”, we have decided instead to label this energy as Esotera, a term devised by Director [REDACTED]

Esotera comes in various forms, occurring most commonly around instances of the ritualistic practice known as [REDACTED], though it occurs in nature as well, albeit with far less frequency with no clear origin in the latter case. An Anomaly is believed to occur when large amounts of Esotera are concentrated in a single place, object, or living being - though all creatures contain amounts of Esotera, commonly referred to as the “Soul”.

Currently, we have isolated seven forms of pure Esotera, each with unique traits, origins, and interactions - not unlike elements on the periodic table.

• Liturgic
  • Somatic
  • Thalassic
  • Stellaric
  • Chaotic
  • Telluric
  • Occultic

For more information, please reference [Anomalous Energy Report 65-B - Esotera Aspects and Interactions] and [Anomalous Energy Report 66-B - Historical Decline of Esotera Levels]
Spooks?
Quote:
[Archaeological Report - Mine Project]

Archaeological Report
Bureau of Paranormal Investigation
08/22/2010
Site Name: Whisper Valley Mines

The upper shafts do not appear to contain much of immediate notice, though they appear to still be rich in precious stones and metals. Large quantities of abandoned mining equipment are present. According to maps and signage, the leftmost shaft was converted into a storage area for a variety of abandoned __________, still potentially hazardous. Caution needed. The rightmost shaft opens into a large cavern, constructed of luminescent crystals. Further research needed, Team 3-B assigned for survey of the area.

Both shafts converge at a mine _________. Weight testing has been conducted, and the ________ has been deemed still operational despite the estimated age of approx. 110 years, most of which spent in disuse.

[DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED]
[DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED] [DATA EXPUNGED]

Architecture does not resemble anything known to historically exist in the region.
Spooks?
Quote:
Whisper Valley Times - “Arthur’s Weird Mysteries” (Jan 4th, 1999)
By Arthur Langley

Despite what you may think, there's more than meets the eye to our town. For generations, there's been talk about the woods over by the Historical Society. Impossible to navigate, they say. Haunted by the "Lantern Man". But after we asked for personal accounts last week, we've received all sorts of letters from our readers about their experiences in the so-called "Black Forest"- here's what we learned from our favorites:

Gary Elm, 44, wrote in with a story from his grandfather, who worked in the Whisper Valley Mining Project. Apparently, his ol' grandpa used to go for walks in those woods during his lunch break, and apparently came across a circle of mushrooms one time. After stepping into the middle... he found himself in the Historical Society! He tried it again, retracing his steps, and ended up back in the mines! Talk about wild, right? He would always tell little Gary: North, West, East, North, West, South, that's how you find the "fairy circle" - but watch out for the Lantern Man!

Dan Berrymore, 32, wrote in as well, but with a personal experience this time! He too, went out for a walk in the woods after having a little too much to drink, but instead of a magic fairy circle, he said he came across a great rift in the ground, extending god knows how deep. According to his story, he was hearing whispers from deep within, but he didn't dare approach. He ran back, as fast he could, and wound up right in the middle of a kid's birthday party right out the back of the Historical Society. I dunno about you guys, but I've seen Dan getting kicked outta every bar in town - so you can choose to believe what you will.

Just goes to show you though. There's a little bit of mystery around every corner, in this little town called Whisper Valley.