One of my GPU fans stopped spinning after fiddling with MSI Afterburner

T-man
It's time for another tech support thread for T-man's old ass computer

I downloaded Afterburner with the intention of setting a custom fan curve, I don't believe I made any adjustments beyond enabling the ability to set a custom fan curve and giving one of the nodes a slide to see if it worked before returning it to the way it was. I don't know when exactly it happened between then and now or if it's related but now one of my GPU fans no longer spins and I get half as many RPM on my GPU fan as I did prior to messing with Afterburner.

I've tried system restore, a clean install of my graphics card drivers, and fiddling with Afterburner again. Did one of my fans just happen to die and this is just a coincidence or is it a software issue? The only sign of life it has now is a weak little spin when the computer turns on, but there's no grinding or anything to indicate something is wrong with it.

Anyone have any ideas? Is she a goner? The GPU is 10 years old so that probably has a lot to do with it lol
Draku
No personal experience with Afterburner but I know that I accidentally managed to make my GPU fans completely disable themselves when I tried fucking around with EVGA Precision's custom fan curve settings and was able to fix that by uninstalling it fully and resetting my BIOS settings.

The age MIGHT have to do with it, but I had the issue I did on a brand new card, so it's probably more about overclocking software just sucking ass.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
Fans can start to go out after a few years. It's possible the software controller gave it more voltage than it was comfortable with and it's fully dead now. Another possibility is that the fan just isn't getting enough voltage to start spinning. You can try spinning it manually while it's powered to give it a head start. But if that works, it's not a permanent solution since it definitely means the fan is on its way out.

I'm not sure how to replace them since they're often nonstandard sizes (as opposed to case fans which are mostly 80/120/140mm). I do know there are aftermarket GPU coolers you can install, which these days is probably way cheaper than buying a new video card
[Image: supercorrect.png]