the cropping on tall avatars into the circle view is so funny

Draku
bikkie

bikkie what's wrong
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
rtsmarty
would be nice to have a way to move where the circle goes i guess
Spritanium
(May 17, 2016 at 9:31 PM)rtsmarty Wrote: would be nice to have a way to move where the circle goes i guess

Pretty easy I think

Use a JS draggable plugin on the avatar change page, store the position X and Y, and set the background-position on all the img-circle avatars
[Image: supercorrect.png]
kaZaam
fuck circle cropping entirely tbh
kaZaam
like eberything else on the forum is square and then there's just this one uglyass circle. phuck it
T-man
(May 22, 2016 at 9:29 PM)McPhresh Wrote: like eberything else on the forum is square and then there's just this one uglyass circle. phuck it

Yeah I too thought that was a bit weird but it doesn't bother me much
kaZaam
looks ugly af to me. i mean its not important but like it doesn't really add anything to keep it that way and like drak said it fucks up the look of some people's avas too.
Draku
(May 22, 2016 at 9:29 PM)McPhresh Wrote: like eberything else on the forum is square and then there's just this one uglyass circle. phuck it
yeah i agree
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
[deleted]
Spritanium
We have to crop avatars to a 1:1 ratio for like 99% of the areas they're displayed , and a circle looks incredibly better than a square would

Basically it's a preview for your avatar, then in the postbits and member profiles you get to see the full one. It's not weird, it's how literally every social network works lol
Spritanium
So I think I'll change the welcome block up top to use the full size avatar. The ratio isn't very important there.

For places where the avatars must be 1:1, would everyone prefer a circle or a rounded square? (Non-rounded square would just look like a mistake imo)
kaZaam
well eberything else is a rounded square anyway
Spritanium
(May 23, 2016 at 12:31 AM)McPhresh Wrote: well eberything else is a rounded square anyway

Yeah that's why I went with circles for cropped avatars in the first place. Helps them stick out

Circle cropping is pretty standard for profile pictures and profile pictures alone, maybe it's something to do with those round frames people used to use for portraits
T-man
(May 23, 2016 at 12:34 AM)Spritanium Wrote: Circle cropping is pretty standard for profile pictures and profile pictures alone, maybe it's something to do with those round frames people used to use for portraits
Circles are the way to go when everyone is conforming to this standard
[Image: no-image-icon-hi.png]
But on message boards people like to exploit the fact that they can use transparencies and shit like that and circles just kind of ruin the whole avatar.
rtsmarty
i quite like the circle ... or i would if you could move it and stuff

not too attached or anything though
T-man
(May 23, 2016 at 6:30 PM)rtsmarty Wrote: i quite like the circle ... or i would if you could move it and stuff

not too attached or anything though

Yeah, I think being unable to position the circle is the crux of the problem
Two_Finger
would it be possible if we could choose to use either a circle or a square while choosing the area it crops? I don't mind the circle personally
kaZaam
the circle's funny af w this ava
kaZaam
fuc i'm actually kind of ok w it now
Spritanium
Yeah I do like the circles, I'm hoping with the cropping tool they'll be acceptable