Is it true SMWCentral is full of crazy toxic drama? (pls spill the tea to me)

King Piranha Plant
I've heard SMWCentral is full of drama and I really want to know why or what happens there. Like don't they just hack roms n stuff?

Pls if anyone can spill the (condensed) teaI'm srsly on a rom hack kick right now and you have no idea how morbidly curious I am

Also---> maybe more touchy, but... I actually was not around for the Split (I disappeared after 2003-2006 for a long while) and know nothing about most of MFGG's drama either. I'm picturing political disagreements and homo/transphobia or something but I've literally never asked anyone what happened. Apologies if this is sensitive for anyone but man I've always felt the urge to ask. I remember MFGG was pretty cruel and toxic (plenty of vivid memories) always but I was such a dumb lil kid I never looked deep into it or I merely found it entertaining not knowing any better.
Draku
the split was entirely over the fact that MFGG had managed to gather a significant forum userbase that did not actually care that much about fangames and was there for the community, so the staff was tired of dealing with them (read: us) and wanted us to move to another offshoot site. that is, here.

there wasn't any nasty drama about it just disagreements in what the site/community should be like and about.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
King Piranha Plant
I do know it got all strict, rule-heavy and weirdly fangame-obsessed which caused divide, and remember how boring and depressing the mfgg forums became afterward. I just always had heard people talk about the split era as if wayyy more heated drama happened than merely that.
Draku
i mean there was a lot of dumb stuff that went down and the mfgg admins tried very hard to kill their own site and shoo off "unwanted" users (they repeatedly made up new rules and threw people into a new usergroup to restrict PPP/CCC access if they didn't like them, "trial member" i think it was ). not that i didn't act like an ass myself at the time in turn

but no one did anything like, grave or whatever. it was a literal split between the site staff and the people who used said site where neither side liked the other and the end result had both ends simply happy to not have to deal with the other again
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
sealelement
this thread wouldve been improved if pea had posted hentai in it like i told him to.
100% pure gamer 100%
King Piranha Plant
(Apr 26, 2024 at 1:29 AM)sealelement Wrote: this thread wouldve been improved if pea had posted hentai in it like i told him to.

if you post boobs and tentacles please also include spilling the tea
Spritanium
The Split was only a dramatic event because the mfgg admins spent the previous few months checking off a bucket list of pseudo-fascist power fantasies in an attempt to deal with the problem of "people are enjoying their time here too much"
[Image: supercorrect.png]
King Piranha Plant
(Apr 26, 2024 at 1:10 PM)Spritanium Wrote: The Split was only a dramatic event because the mfgg admins spent the previous few months checking off a bucket list of pseudo-fascist power fantasies in an attempt to deal with the problem of "people are enjoying their time here too much"

I remember just how weird it was to come back and be like, what the hel are all these new overly technical named forums, wtf is "Development Discussion"

"Please ONLY discuss fangame development, STOP talking about OTHER THINGS"

I've ranted about this before but it has to be 100% the reason (way beyond simply Discord) forums like SMWCentral or Newgrounds are still alive and still resemble their past 90's-era state, while MFGG is officially a total graveyard

(I say this out of love and compassion for plenty of its users, not hating on them or anything, more just like... amazed at the shockingly stupid outcome)
Vertette
the mfgg drama has been discussed to death so im not gonna add to it ANYWAY ABOUT SMWC. here are four fun events in the order of how much i remember about them

- a somewhat unknown hacker named yanama posted a message in the general discussion forum that he was dying of leukemia and joked in his goodbye message that his biggest regret was that his latest hack, notte luminosa, didn't get any lets plays. some notable smw lets players from the time like raocow ended up playing it out of sympathy but then it turned out he lied about the leukemia thing and just wanted people to play his hacks. he got banned
- during development of smwcp2, one of the site's big collaborative rom hacks, one of the asm coders inserted an easter egg into the credits where if you pressed certain buttons during a part where an anime girl in a skirt showed up, her panties would drop. this was very controversial when discovered and caused very heated arguments that caused the coder in question to eventually leave the project, and considering how few coders the site has it was at least part of the reason smwcp2 eventually had to release in such an unfinished state
- one of the most prominent coders on the site who eventually became staff, leodddd, was infamous for his heavy liberal leanings and being very opinionated, think someone like stir. in certain circles he was also known for being a sex pest who creepily hit on guys all the time and tried to get nudes from them, insert your own obligatory joke about how often that happens to internet liberals here. it took years until staff found out, there were a lot of talks behind the scenes and it eventually turned out one of the guys he tried to extract nude pics from was underage at the time it happened, he was quickly banned from the community. i think he was 1-up world staff at one point too but im banned from there despite never talking on the server, so idk what they did to him there but im pretty sure hes disappeared from the internet entirely now :V
- an anonymous smwc member started a collaborative hack on 4chan called super mario /v/orld which ended up becoming quite big on /v/. said member tried to release the hack on smwc but got in trouble due to its edgy content and reluctance to change its content and so the site owner, idol, found out who said member was and blacklisted him from ever releasing hacks on the site. he is now persona non grata among idol and her social group despite it being an open secret that several smwc staff members worked on the hack and its sequels. it probably doesnt help that the /v/orld director used to work with a certain coder from smwc who eventually became infamous for going off the deep end into far-right rhetoric and eventually released a smw hack mocking the george floyd situation. apparently even the code for that hack had slurs in it. that anonymous smwc member dropped that crazy dude and his code like a bag of hot potatoes, but from what i heard in idols mind anyone associated with 4chan is hitler so this only reinforced her bias further

tldr; asm coders are insane. maybe i got more tea, a lot happened on smwc over the years, but im an old fart so ill have to ask others what they remember
Vertette
oh my god i forgot about the off-site stalking

so heres the most bizarre thing i know about smwc: there's a lot of harassment and distrust going on in the community recently. ever since they implemented a rule for off-site behavior, quite a few members have grown fond of stalking members off-site that they don't like. if they catch you doing anything unsavory anywhere, theyll gladly snitch on you not only to smwc staff but also every smw streamer they know so you can get banned from the site and a whole bunch of smw streamer channels. even one of the kaizo mods admitted its become a big problem. so thats not creepy or anything
King Piranha Plant
Vert is the first person to ever truly spill the tea and it was everything I hoped for

Also that's nuts that they stalk each other. Although overall I can't tell if MFGG or SMWCentral is more drama chaotic, considering one of them is... at least still around

I'm not surprised they're crazy, because the more rom hacks I've been playing, the more I'll rage and curse these sadistic asinine design choices, I've decided everyone who designs these has to be a weird person who enjoys anger and suffering
Vertette
id definitely say smwc is worse considering the stalking and what not. also, a lot of people still hold a grudge over that notte luminosa thing to the point where idol says she wouldnt even think of unbanning the guy because itd be too upsetting to the community. its been literally twelve years lmao, imagine holding onto an internet grudge that long
Vertette
why the blank
King Piranha Plant
(May 2, 2024 at 5:50 PM)Vertette Wrote: why the blank

12 year grudge = :|