im Drunk rn so ill say what i cant say when im sobre

God
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:18 PM)T-man Wrote: I honestly don't know why rally can be less than 1.00x anyway.

interesting idea. this needs further consideration.

what are your thoughts?
God
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:19 PM)Spritanium Wrote: In any case we have a cleaner decay formula now, like i said we just need to adjust the divisor if anything

do you have access to the previous RD?
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Spritanium
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:18 PM)T-man Wrote: I honestly don't know why rally can be less than 1.00x anyway.
It's a penalty for higher levels, otherwise they're pretty OP as you can just keep gaining exp at a normal rate while sitting on a huge stockpile
[Image: supercorrect.png]
God
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:14 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: it should be possible to maintain a rally of 2+ at level 6. level 6 isn't even Old Money any more.

the recent change has just nerfed everyone in order to prevent one unintended playstyle. a good patch is meant to target just the problem area, without affecting other parts of the meta.

this is a good post.

The solution to preventing our exploit from last night isn't just nerfing everyone and gutting high levels. Either cap the amount of spells you can sling at one user in a short amount of time to at least spread it out, or keep the system as-is and scale spell limits with level, giving high levels more spells per day so they can actually get past the rally nerfs at the expense of more potential exp

as it is, universal nerfs seem weird. You have to balance it. Being high level just fucking sucks at this point, and even if you weren't using it to shitpost (or having some dumbfuck funnel you exp like xgoff), and instead just using level as a badge of honor, the current decay rate punishes high level users for casting at all with no chance of regaining it.

you and i could build the perfect Rally meta
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Spritanium
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:19 PM)Spritanium Wrote: In any case we have a cleaner decay formula now, like i said we just need to adjust the divisor if anything

`( (0.06 + ($level/250)) / 24)*$rally`
God
you know there's something wrong with Rally when @T-man has negative Rally
Draku
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:23 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
It's a penalty for higher levels, otherwise they're pretty OP as you can just keep gaining exp at a normal rate while sitting on a huge stockpile
yeah i'm not sure what's not to get about this. you have a huge amount to sling at spells, even the "high cost" spells are only high cost to lower levels. i considered asking for a bump to spell cost to combat this but there's no way to really do that without ruining everything for lower levels or make changing it pointless (having it scale with levels for example would make everything only different on the surface rather than mechanically)
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:25 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: you know there's something wrong with Rally when @T-man has negative Rally
This is true. Really active members with a rally of <1.5 should be pretty rare
Fun With Despair
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:23 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:21 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:14 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: it should be possible to maintain a rally of 2+ at level 6. level 6 isn't even Old Money any more.

the recent change has just nerfed everyone in order to prevent one unintended playstyle. a good patch is meant to target just the problem area, without affecting other parts of the meta.

this is a good post.

The solution to preventing our exploit from last night isn't just nerfing everyone and gutting high levels. Either cap the amount of spells you can sling at one user in a short amount of time to at least spread it out, or keep the system as-is and scale spell limits with level, giving high levels more spells per day so they can actually get past the rally nerfs at the expense of more potential exp

as it is, universal nerfs seem weird. You have to balance it. Being high level just fucking sucks at this point, and even if you weren't using it to shitpost (or having some dumbfuck funnel you exp like xgoff), and instead just using level as a badge of honor, the current decay rate punishes high level users for casting at all with no chance of regaining it.

you and i could build the perfect Rally meta

Probably.

Ultimately after analyzing the system, there is actually no real issue with fast rally degrade on highlevels. The issue is that leveling does fuck all and it's so impossible to proceed past a certain point. The thread about raising the spell cap kind of gave me this idea. Levels SHOULD raise spell cap, not by a lot, but they should, because there is zero reward for it besides numbers, which punish you anyway by limiting rally gain and therefore for spells anyway.

it's just unbalanced as fuck and I'm saying firsthand as the one dude ever at this level that something's gotta happen to achieve real balance without dicking everyone.
Spritanium
I also want to stress that none of the changes we make are permanent, we're pretty much still alpha testing in terms of the actual metagame parameters. It'll probably be a year or two of observing activity and behavior before we settle on something perfect. Ideally I think we should have a global "activity index" for the forum that can be used as a multiplier in these formulas as well.
God
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:24 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote:

try this

`0.04*$rally`

the whole ($level/250))/24) bit was changing the value by several magnitudes less than the 0.06, so it's pretty much irrelevant.
Draku
there are plans for high level rewards like level-locked spells and higher cost spells that affect shit like members themselves but they're not there yet because Spritey is Only Human
Spritanium
And yeah high levels definitely need some perks. They are still literally pointless. I'm in support of a higher cap for daily spells (maybe it should start around 5 for level 1) as well as certain spells that are only accessible at levels 5, 10, and 20 respectively (Old Money, Older Money, and The 1%)
God
btw, has the RG been changed recently?
Draku
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:34 PM)Spritanium Wrote: And yeah high levels definitely need some perks. They are still literally pointless. I'm in support of a higher cap for daily spells (maybe it should start around 5 for level 1) as well as certain spells that are only accessible at levels 5, 10, and 20 respectively (Old Money, Older Money, and The 1%)
This sounds fine to me.
Fun With Despair
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:34 PM)Spritanium Wrote: And yeah high levels definitely need some perks. They are still literally pointless. I'm in support of a higher cap for daily spells (maybe it should start around 5 for level 1) as well as certain spells that are only accessible at levels 5, 10, and 20 respectively (Old Money, Older Money, and The 1%)

I wouldn't start the cap and 5 and go up from there. That doesn't solve the Rally issue. Even with the 10 base spells, which is probably what I would be getting now, the Rally degrades so fast that even with all of them it's near pointless to even try and use it. You would likely have to, at the same time, raise rally returns for higher levels still if you wish to keep the current degrade rate. Either that or buff the degrade rate. This solution, new spells aside (which is cool) doesn't fix the problem and continually nerfs lower levels even more
Spritanium
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:32 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:24 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:22 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: do you have access to the previous RD?

try this

`0.04*$rally`

the whole ($level/250))/24) bit was changing the value by several magnitudes less than the 0.06, so it's pretty much irrelevant.
This is interesting. You don't think it's useful to take the level into account?

(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:33 PM)Draku Wrote: there are plans for high level rewards like level-locked spells and higher cost spells that affect shit like members themselves but they're not there yet because Spritey is Only Human
Honestly with the amount of work we have to do, it would be nice if we could find some other developers to add to the team. It's just difficult to find people to work for free - maybe if we accepted donations and/or added that "mine Bitcoins for exp" page, we could use some of the funds to distribute amongst developers. I don't need to be paid by MW since it's a hobby project for me, but I feel like people would be more willing to come on board if we could provide meager monetary rewards for fixing bugs and adding features? Idunno
Draku
if The People really want a feature faster and there was someone willing to do it for a reasonable fee i would not be against paying them myself
Fun With Despair
there needs to be a dedicated balance team, thead, or guy or something, and not have it spread around everyone in general discussion topics or be kneejerk buffed/nerfed just to counteract something in the moment without looking at longterm results for everyone
T-man
(Nov 17, 2016 at 8:23 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
>penalty

>for being a high level

There's really no need for it. You should help lower level players, not punish high level players for being high level otherwise what's the fucking point of having levels at all?