Elyk
I get that rally was added to reward posters for casting more spells, but I don't really think that it should be also used to punish those that cast few spells. At higher levels rally decay and min is kind of ridiculous. Even if you cast lots of spells it's hard to get yourself over 1.00x and sustain that long enough to make a profit (especially with the spell cap). It also isn't really fair for high level players to have a huge amount of exp required to reach the next level, but then nerf the incoming exp they get effectively doubling or even tripling the already large amount required. Something else to consider is that if the inventory/shop system is coming and we want to use exp as a currency for it then you would be reducing the incoming exp for high levels.

tl;dr: In the interest of fun have the rally min cap at 1.00x and allow high level play styles to become viable again.
Draku
Something I've been considering is the idea of instead of high levels going below 1x with Rally, lower levels would have their lowest possible Rally above 1x.

This keeps high levels from being particularly fucked over despite their high level up caps but keeps low levels in the game against high levels.

It also helps out strategy: Do you want to stay at a lower level and consistently keep a decent Rally for little upkeep so you have higher returns but much lower EXP in the bank to cast with, or stockpile it all as a high level to dump spells all you want when the time comes?
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
I have no idea why people want high amounts of EXP if they don't cast spells

Spells are the game; they are what EXP is for. You can't even spend it on anything else lol
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Fun With Despair
(Nov 25, 2016 at 7:56 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I have no idea why people want high amounts of EXP if they don't cast spells

Spells are the game; they are what EXP is for. You can't even spend it on anything else lol
then remove the level system if it has no purpose
Draku
(Nov 25, 2016 at 7:56 PM)Spritanium Wrote: I have no idea why people want high amounts of EXP if they don't cast spells

i don't really get it myself though there is a valid enough point about how you have to spend a certain amount to get your rally up and then sometimes not be able to recuperate what you spent, and given MW's erratic activity rally decay can fuck you into this situation somewhat often

the suggestion that decay rates should be based on amount of people online would fix this
Yrrzy
imo gaining XP is the game and this spell-centric meta is lame

i spent 300XP on a spell to get my rally up above 1.00 last night and its back at 0.76 already
Yrrzy
its like trying to do a stealth/pacifism run of a game but being prevented from progressing and people keep just telling you how great all the weapons are and how you should just be using them to win

like no i wanna play stealth and still have a shot at winning
Mario
It's fine the way it is. (overall conceptually anyway, numbers can be tweaked as needed though). There is no reason to hoard exp and exp should be harder to gain the more you have.

(Nov 25, 2016 at 8:16 PM)Yrr Wrote: imo gaining XP is the game and this spell-centric meta is lame

i spent 300XP on a spell to get my rally up above 1.00 last night and its back at 0.76 already

it's supposed to go down, rally above the minimum is a temporary boost to your incoming exp.
Yrrzy
+ why even have XP and levels, and a level cap above 15 if you dont want people building XP

why not just put spells on a cooldown or smth instead?

the fact theres an XP system makes some people wanna build XP, but focusing solely on XP as a means to use spells and punishing anyone who tries to do anything else is just lame

embrace alternate playstyles dont just gimp them into uselessness to make sure people play in the narrow way you want
Mario
exp is currently only for spells. you can feel free to do whatever you want with it, but ultimately the rules around it are going to be built around spells as that's what it's for.

That will change in the future, and we will introduce alternate playstyles, but for now it is what it is.

If you just want to watch a number go up we can add post counts back to the thread view lol
kaZaam
i agree that lebels rn are p dumb and confusing but like if you understand that then why hoard
Mario
i dont like levels as they are, yeah
kaZaam
i dont see how rally is a punishment if you dont want to do anything w your xp
Agastya
John Goodposter has a job posting good sh*t. His first few weeks on the job, he gets paid the standard wages and goes out and spends it on stuff like bread and water.

After a few weeks at work, he starts saving up his wages to build a vacation fund. After his employer finds out that he's got a fair amount saved up, he starts getting paid slightly less every day, meaning he has to work harder for the same wages.

Soon, John Goodposter's new coworker Anessa Funpostson sees he made a mistake in one of his daily chores, so she autocorrects his mistake. He has so much in his bank account now that he's effectively getting paid half, but because Anessa spends her wages frivolously on correcting people, she's getting paid nearly triple at the cost of not having anything saved up in order to pay for her hospital bills when Gary Vertigo brings a gun to work next month.

Next month, Gary begins his tragic spree of violence because Anessa stole his stapler. Anessa barely survives, but is forced to live a life of begging and being hounded by the Salt Mine Enforcement in order to pay her bills. Meanwhile, John was able to pay for his bills handily, but because he spent so much on it his employer decides to start paying him his starting wage again.

Wait, what were we talking about? Rally?

Fuck.

This has nothing to do with rally.

What the fuck did I even type this all up for? God damn it.
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
kaZaam
idk i guess since just raw numbers are such a commodity here, maybe that low decimal just makes users Feel Bad
Draku
I'm fairly certain the whole issue is that seeing a sub-1x multiplier is seen as overly negative by someone who doesn't get the idea behind why it works the way it does.

The idea suggested in my post of keeping all lowest possible rallies above 1x but the lowest possible multiplier for lower levels being higher keeps a positive number visible for everyone which fixes the psychological effect
Mario
maybe we shouldn't display rally in as many places as we do
Yrrzy
idk building XP is something that a bunch of members have demonstrated they find fun, and spells are something that a bunch of members have demonstrated they don't, why you gotta enforce one kind of fun and ban another
kaZaam
i would get the desire for xp just as a number if it was just like a representation of your post count, how youve interacted etc. but as it is now with all the weird trade/expolits involved it just feels like a vague number. idg the attachment
Yrrzy
XP builds when people react to /interact with your posts, it feels a lot more important than a postcount because it represents your involvement in the community in a way that isn't just "how much you posted", and seeing that involvement considered less and less important once you've reached a certain amount its just a shame

if you wanna please both parties while keeping spells balanced just switch rally into a multiplier that affects spell costs, so xp still builds fine but spells cost more or smth at higher levels

spell users will be happy cause it means using spells leads to spells being cheaper (its essentially the same system but the multiplier is on the spells not on the xp gain), and xp hoarders will be happy cause their xp (and therefore community involvement) is represented properly