Draku
With how heated this subject apparently is I'm going to suggest a potential line of changes we could make easily that would hopefully appease people for the time being until things could get looked at and tweaked in greater detail as we head into Season 1 (We're on Season 0 right now, the Testbed. There's a reason why everything changes at the drop of a hat right now. Season 1 proper will begin in January of 2017 with a full EXP reset being likely.)

Rally:
Higher level users no longer go below 1x Rally. Instead, the same general formula used for determining how low below 1x one's Rally can go is used to see how high a low levelled user's Rally can be above 1x as the bottom line.

This solves the issue of members feeling bad because their rally is below 1x, though it doesn't change how level and Rally interaction works much.

Spells:
Feelin' Fab:
Extended to 1 week duration. 100 EXP

Size Matters:
Extended to 1 week duration. 100 EXP

Autocorreect:
100 EXP

Great Sh*t:
150 EXP

Frame That Sh*t:
450 EXP

Normalizes the lowest tier and brings the 24 hour spells more in line with other spells. Some price increases due to the increase in ease of building XP as a result of altering Rally as well as how often Spells get used.

Spell Knockback:
Up to 100% Spell Cost depending on Rally, up from static 50%

With the advent of Rally no longer affecting Spell Knockback, the nice feeling as well as one of the primary benefits of having your Rally increased in the first place has been lost. This allows users to use Rally as a mechanic more effectively while not creating more EXP out of thin air as per what was fun but unfortunately exploited before.

What do people make of this, and are there any suggestions for other potential quick changes that could be made to make members happier with the system for the moment?
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
i honestly don't care if you reset my exp, but a full reset really fucks over people who got all of theirs legitimately without exploits like Yrr
Mario
Couldn't we recalculate exp? every spell cast, every post made, every reaction given is stored in the database. all we'd need to do is make an (expensive) function to recalculate it. This fucks over lotto stuff I guess and Gato's xgoff quest but it might be worth it.
Draku
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:21 PM)wtl64 Wrote: Couldn't we recalculate exp? every spell cast, every post made, every reaction given is stored in the database. all we'd need to do is make an (expensive) function to recalculate it. This fucks over lotto stuff I guess and Gato's xgoff quest but it might be worth it.
If people are really against the idea of EXP resetting in some form between Seasons I guess this would be okay, but it's not entirely just because of the exploit.
Mario
I'm not talking about in-between seasons, just a patch for right now. season resetting is fair to me (though the people who want to watch numbers go up aren't going to be happy with any reset)
Yrrzy
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:21 PM)wtl64 Wrote: Couldn't we recalculate exp? every spell cast, every post made, every reaction given is stored in the database. all we'd need to do is make an (expensive) function to recalculate it. This fucks over lotto stuff I guess and Gato's xgoff quest but it might be worth it.

you can't calculate exp based on spells cast because rally exists
Mario
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:27 PM)Yrr Wrote:

you can't calculate exp based on spells cast because rally exists

rally is based on spells cast + time, so it's definitely possible to calculate it
Draku
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:27 PM)wtl64 Wrote: I'm not talking about in-between seasons, just a patch for right now. season resetting is fair to me (though the people who want to watch numbers go up aren't going to be happy with any reset)
If we're going to do a reset anyways I don't see why we would need to recalculate anything at the moment. We're still in the testing season, people having goofy EXP is fine for now given it's like a month before Season 1 will begin
Mario
yeah idc about a reset either way, just pointing out the possibility is there if people want it
Agastya
do i get my pre-launch lottery exp again at the start of season 1 :V
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Draku
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:37 PM)Agastya Wrote: do i get my pre-launch lottery exp again at the start of season 1 :V
If we go for a full XP reset, no.
Fun With Despair
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:38 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:37 PM)Agastya Wrote: do i get my pre-launch lottery exp again at the start of season 1 :V
then why even hold the lotteries this close to a reset?

or the mmrs?

or anything if the exp is just going to get reset?
Agastya
pre-launch lottery carried over to launch, this lottery will still give off enough for a full month of TOP META PLAYS which is plenty of time
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Mario
here's how I would patch things:
  • Rally can't go below 1
  • exp is renamed EX
  • All ex gains are halved but rounded up. (no decimals for gains)
  • All levels are 100 ex each (level up messages should probably be thrown out, maybe the entire alert itself)
  • Either no maximum level or max out at 50 or 100 (5000 or 10000 ex) if we have a max, the bar colors shouldn't cycle lik ethey do now, but start at purple and progressively go to red. barely tell the difference in color between individual levels, but its clear between larger level differences
  • All spells cost at minimum 100xp
  • Min Rally for levels <= 10 is 2, min rally for levels > 10 & <= 20 is 1.5, everything else is 1
  • Spell knockback maxes out at 90%, minimum at 50%, based on rally. Since max rally is 5, if 5 rally, you get 90% knockback, and 1 rally you get 50% knockback. figure out the math inbetween i guess lol. Spells should always cost SOMETHING otherwise they're just a donation + a free spell and that's not fair
  • rally gain is tougher at higher levels, but should be consistent in decay

this requires no additional features, makes levels actually mean something, gives the 'no rally below 1' crowd something but still makes it tougher to gain exp at higher levels
Draku
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:45 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:38 PM)Draku Wrote:
then why even hold the lotteries this close to a reset?

or the mmrs?

or anything if the exp is just going to get reset?
Think of this last Season 0 Lotto as a way to get a lot of last min EXP. You can still use it and there will be reasons to in the final month.

How does this affect MMRs?

>or anything

What did he mean by this?

(Nov 25, 2016 at 9:49 PM)wtl64 Wrote: post
Yeah, I want us to try going for this with Season 1's start and was going to discuss an EXP - > EX Meter transition with Spritey, but I don't think we need to do it right this second. Fantastic other ideas as well.
God
The idea behind negative Rally was to punish players who never cast spells. Clearly, it isn't working the way it should be right now, because even if you do cast Spells at Old Money levels, you're still likely to be at <RD1.00. I think if we are going to keep negative Rallys (which I think we should), we need to change how RD works again.

• RD at <R1.00 decreases 75% slower ({Your Rally} × 0.005 per hour).
  • RD at <R1.00 is frozen if you have cast a spell in the past 48 hours.
  • Minimum RD is recalculated so that 0.7 is the minimum at Level 19.

This should make it impossible to ever have an RD that feels really bad. It will also be reeeally easy to recover to R1.00 with very little work done.

Also, I would like to suggest the following change to RG

• In addition to EX knockback, Spells now give a Rally knockback equal to RG/2.

This makes it possible to stay above R1.00 even if you don't cast Spells. It rewards skilled players who contribute high quality posts and allows them to increase their damage from combos.

I think the base Spell cost of all Spells should increase, and probably increased even higher than suggested in the OP.

Totally agree that Spell Knockback should be capped at 100%.

I'd also like to add that for as long as Rally and EX are perceived to be the main components of the meta, they will always be unsatisfactory. They are only meant to, and can only ever be, supplements to the meta and not its focal point. I'll echo @Draku and say that Rally will only reach its full potential once we start implementing better ways to influence gameplay, mainly through classes and actually powerful Spells (of which I have suggested dozens but none get taken seriously).
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Two_Finger
considering as it is now negative has the possibility of some exp gaining actions being reduced to 0 or 1 is very real with negative rally, which is the reason I don't like it
it not just a psychological "I like bigger numbers" thing

anyways other than that being mentioned, I think draku's proposed changes are cool
God
(Nov 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote:
  • RD is frozen if you have cast a spell in the past 48 hours.

just to clarify, this only applies to <R1.00. if we want a similar rule for >R1.00, we could do it like this but RD would have to increase sharply.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Draku
(Nov 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: The idea behind negative Rally was to punish players who never cast spells. Clearly, it isn't working the way it should be right now, because even if you do cast Spells at Old Money levels, you're still likely to be at <RD1.00. I think if we are going to keep negative Rallys (which I think we should), we need to change how RD works again.

• RD at <R1.00 decreases 75% slower ({Your Rally} × 0.005 per hour).
  • RD is frozen if you have cast a spell in the past 48 hours.
  • Minimum RD is recalculated so that 0.7 is the minimum at Level 19.
This is good with the new information from your latest post. I like it

(Nov 25, 2016 at 10:38 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: I think the base Spell cost of all Spells should increase, and probably increased even higher than suggested in the OP.
I don't know about this. They are a little low for many users right now but I don't want it to be prohibitively expensive to cast basic stuff for newer members or members who don't show up often.
God
yeah i guess it's been a long time since i've playtested lower levels

brb donating to MetagameBot