CHESHIRE ☯
(Nov 27, 2016 at 8:42 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Nov 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Nov 27, 2016 at 3:51 AM)Spritanium Wrote: Oh here's one

Freemium is a brilliant pricing model and the proof is in the pudding. If developers would make their base games suck less by default, then the idea of paying extra for new features is completely reasonable.

Freemium is actually bullshit. Most developers can't stop themselves from making what is essentially a money milking machine instead of a game. Microtransactions in paid titles are a much more worthwhile endeavor because the people who are actually dumb kind enough buy polygonal goodies are footing the bill for the continued development of the game for everyone. It's far better than map packs or whatever fracturing the playerbase.
Best pricing model for online multiplayer is monthy subscriptions assuming they add enough content regularly to to keep every month feeling fresh.

If a game is free, costs $10 a month to play, but as a result gets a constant content flow that gives me 10+ hours every month, i'll fuckin pay

Phantasy Star Online 2. Amazingly well-built game, graphically impressive, no pay-to-win, F2P and Subscription respectively, constant updating, both unprecedentedly popular.

*mic drop*
Fun With Despair
(Nov 29, 2016 at 3:57 PM)Cheshire Ω Wrote: -Kingdom Hearts makes perfect sense, and at times can even be predictable in it's narrative.
-Chrono Cross is leaps and bounds superior to Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross is a coherent and faithful sequel.
-Final Fantasy VII is the worst Final Fantasy game, despite having a solid cast of characters
-Einhänder was the best game Square ever made.
-EX-Troopers will forever be the last good CAPCOM game.
-VMUs need to come back.

I agree with PO2 being a great example of a payment model but holy fuck FFVII is nowhere near my favorite but FFII is objectively the worst one.
CHESHIRE ☯
(Nov 29, 2016 at 5:33 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Nov 29, 2016 at 3:57 PM)Cheshire Ω Wrote: -Kingdom Hearts makes perfect sense, and at times can even be predictable in it's narrative.
-Chrono Cross is leaps and bounds superior to Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross is a coherent and faithful sequel.
-Final Fantasy VII is the worst Final Fantasy game, despite having a solid cast of characters
-VMUs need to come back.

I agree with PO2 being a great example of a payment model but holy fuck FFVII is nowhere near my favorite but FFII is objectively the worst one.

I'm at work right now, but when I get back home there's going to be a VERY analytical discussion about this.
Fun With Despair
(Nov 29, 2016 at 5:42 PM)Cheshire Ω Wrote:
(Nov 29, 2016 at 5:33 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
-VMUs need to come back.

I'm at work right now, but when I get back home there's going to be a VERY analytical discussion about this.

bring it on greenboy
Draku
(Nov 29, 2016 at 5:33 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: I agree with PO2 being a great example of a payment model but holy fuck FFVII is nowhere near my favorite but FFII is objectively the worst one.
yeah holy crap FF2 is beyond awful.

as for unpopular opinions rather than universally agreed upon ones:
tales of symphonia is honestly not that great of a game. the narrative's okay but the combat is obscenely dated and boring plus half the dungeons are tedious as hell
additionally, tales of zestiria has the best tales combat of the localized games by far.

mildly related: MP/TP/whatever are bullshit and failed attempts to transfer the system from DnD to a format where it doesn't work. casting should be balanced around something else that works for the game in question
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
rtsmarty
(Nov 29, 2016 at 6:21 PM)Draku Wrote: additionally, tales of zestiria has the best tales combat of the localized games by far.
it was good but i'd say that title goes to graces (i don't know if this is a popular opinion)
Draku
(Nov 29, 2016 at 7:08 PM)rtsmarty Wrote:
(Nov 29, 2016 at 6:21 PM)Draku Wrote: additionally, tales of zestiria has the best tales combat of the localized games by far.
it was good but i'd say that title goes to graces (i don't know if this is a popular opinion)
there's a huge fanbase divide between people who like stuff along the lines of vesperia's combat and people who like graces' combat

i personally think vesperia's a clunky mess and that graces' combat is pretty damn fun but having replayed graces recently zestiria definitely improved upon the ideas graces had

i do miss the eleth mixer though
Spritanium
New unpopular opinion: the average Sonic fan character is actually more creative than like 90% of mfgger OCs
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Fun With Despair
(Nov 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM)Spritanium Wrote: New unpopular opinion: the average Sonic fan character is actually more creative than like 90% of mfgger OCs

[Image: Pjama.png]

say that to my face not online
T-man
(Nov 29, 2016 at 7:47 PM)Spritanium Wrote: New unpopular opinion: the average Sonic fan character is actually more creative than like 90% of mfgger OCs

[Image: keith_the_hedgehog_by_soulhedgehog.png]

[Image: tyler_the_hedgehog_by_blazethecat859-d4tm2on.png]
T-man
Oh, and how could I forget

[Image: a_very_snuckles_christmas_by_spritanium-d35m693.jpg]
DrTapeworm
glover is widely considered a video game
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Yoshin
Here's one: Terraria is the perfect game.
It has a rough story outline, allowing the imagination to take over. As a sandbox game most things are player choice, even down to how the game is played(more RPG based, more building based, more PvP based etc). Instead of DLC the devs instead make all new content part of the base game, meaning one only has to pay the base game fee. It's also constantly being updated and goes on sale for under 5$ quite often.
Again this is just my opinion
T-man
@Yoshin I don't think that's an unpopular opinion at all. Terraria is pretty based. I sunk hundreds of hours into the PC version and was eyeballing the PS4 version for a long time, finally dropped to $2.99 during the PSN Anniversary sale so I snatched it up in a heartbeat. Despite it being a lot of fun I could not bring myself to pay 20 bucks for it.
Yoshin
Most people I've talked to about Terraria just call it "That 2D Minecraft Clone"
A lot of people like it, but I'm fairly certain most of them wouldn't call it the perfect game
Yrrzy
i will fight you to prove Hyper Light Drifter is the perfect game
Spritanium
This is now a Snuckles thread:
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
Spritey, why did you have to use your talents for evil?
(Nov 29, 2016 at 7:10 PM)Draku Wrote:
(Nov 29, 2016 at 7:08 PM)rtsmarty Wrote:
there's a huge fanbase divide between people who like stuff along the lines of vesperia's combat and people who like graces' combat

i personally think vesperia's a clunky mess and that graces' combat is pretty damn fun but having replayed graces recently zestiria definitely improved upon the ideas graces had

i do miss the eleth mixer though

Going thru Zesteria right now and I can defintely say the battle system is very smooth and fun; but better than graces though? Idk. The whole seraphim thing kind of brings it down a little in my personal opinion, a long with a in my opinion kind of confusing skill system compared to graces "level up this title and you're good".

@GreatDAZE what the fuck are you smoking though fam? FFVII is probably the most solid(not the best) FF; i'm curious to see your reasoning. and to add to that, why the fuck dont people think FFI is the worst ff??? FFII actually has a pretty decent story, the best soundtrack out the original 3 and maria waifu so it cant be the worse one, yes the battle system is ass but it's so exploitable. i do not understand the hate
Draku
(Nov 30, 2016 at 9:52 PM)zelma Wrote: Going thru Zesteria right now and I can defintely say the battle system is very smooth and fun; but better than graces though? Idk. The whole seraphim thing kind of brings it down a little in my personal opinion, a long with a in my opinion kind of confusing skill system compared to graces "level up this title and you're good".
See the thing is I fucking loved the Seraphim stuff, and Armatize is super fun. I can get why some people may not enjoy Armatization too much though. Skill system is way more complex than Graces but also more interesting and rewarding, you can do some batshit stuff with how it works.