Puddin mentioned you in "you all destroyed my mind forever i hope you're happy".

kaZaam
huh. p weird then that its rampant usage til a few years ago did absolutely nothing in doing away with homophobic ideology
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
To chime in; I do think it's kind of a stretch but I see what Spritey means/ he has good intentions.

To use the n-word as an example again it's like a white guy saying it and when pressed about it stating "I'm only saying it because it gives the word less power" or "nah it means friend bro" which, i mean, cool but not everyone is with that, nigga is still nigga and it still has it's history. now replace that word with faggot etc.

It kind of goes against the unfiltered narrative but there probably should be levels to ths type of thing
BUT that's just my opinion as a gundam.
Spritanium
Oh yeah unfiltered was an exaggeration. I just didn't like how it was on old MW, where you had to self-censor when using a slur in any context. I feel we should wait to see if people are hurt by something before acting on it, at least (which is p much what we're doing already)

For the record I'm not like salivating at the idea of using the word faggot, I just think all need open minds
Spritanium
(Jan 4, 2017 at 9:08 PM)Kazaam Wrote: huh. p weird then that its rampant usage til a few years ago did absolutely nothing in doing away with homophobic ideology
Thing is, homophobic ideology will always exist, it's up to us if we attach a word to it.

If anything this example serves to prove that the word isn't what's important, but the feeling itself. People being afraid to say faggot hasn't made anyone less homophobic.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
kaZaam
my point was people not being afraid to say it hasn't made anyone less homophobic either
Spritanium
Let's not go comparing a determiner to a noun, that's not really fair
Spritanium
(Jan 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM)Kazaam Wrote: my point was people not being afraid to say it hasn't made anyone less homophobic either
i.e. it makes no difference, so people just attach evil mana to a word because they don't like hearing it
kaZaam
and you attach good mana to a word so you can take an ideological stance against the people who attach bad mana to it while pretending it isn't about ideology
Spritanium
I mean if the data says that shaming people for using slurs in non-slur contexts doesn't do anything to decrease the actual marginalization, why do we do it

If someone gets called a faggot/retard and they're insulted, that's totally different and action should be taken

But if someone uses the word in passing, not referring to a user of this board, not expressing hatred toward a marginalized group, idk why anyone would still be hurt by it
kaZaam
im js it doesnt have the revolutionary potential youre making up abt it
Spritanium
(Jan 4, 2017 at 9:53 PM)Kazaam Wrote: and you attach good mana to a word so you can take an ideological stance against the people who attach bad mana to it while pretending it isn't about ideology
Whoa what?

Making the case that a word isn't inherently evil !== attaching good mana to it

Faggot and retard are ugly words, that's why they work so well as insults. The words are still hateful, but they don't have to be bigoted
Spritanium
Over generations, yes, yes it would have revolutionary potential

What if in the 60s people started using "nigga" to refer to their friends regardless of race? It wouldn't be such a polarizing term today
Spritanium
You can lock away Scary Words in a box never to be seen again but it doesn't change what they mean and it doesn't keep people from using them
kaZaam
youre making the case for its usage despite how it p obviously has nothing to do with phasing out homophobia. like are you just pretending that wasn't a thing you just said
kaZaam
(Jan 4, 2017 at 10:01 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Over generations, yes, yes it would have revolutionary potential
hoe do you figure that
(Jan 4, 2017 at 10:01 PM)Spritanium Wrote: What if in the 60s people started using "nigga" to refer to their friends regardless of race? It wouldn't be such a polarizing term today
the only reason youre so attached to it is because of its polarization in the first place
(Jan 4, 2017 at 10:03 PM)Spritanium Wrote: but it doesn't change what they mean
changing what it means isnt the point of discouraging these words
(Jan 4, 2017 at 10:03 PM)Spritanium Wrote: and it doesn't keep people from using them
p sure thats exactly what it does lol
Beako
(Jan 4, 2017 at 8:28 PM)zelma Wrote: You missed nothing of importance; just more confirmation that the only thing you can really say for sure about Mason is he's legitimately crazy and probably not fun to be around drunk
yep

i mean nope, mentally ill people don't exist! we're all just epic trolls XDDD
Beako
oops i mean "neurodivergent" fun story: one time IRL i got shamed by an authority figure for calling myself mentally ill instead of "neorodivergent"

neurotypicals telling me what i'm supposed to call myself

LOL
Beako
and i don't think neurotypicals are scum; i envy them
Beako
neurotypical is actually a stupid word too. it's a post modern critical theory bullshit version of the word "sane"