Spritanium
I'm at level 3 right now, and that's my real calculated score. Do you think that with the amount of activity I've had (around 60 posts and 10 threads) level 3 is appropriate?

We don't have any way to consume EXP apart from donating yet, so that's something to keep in mind - but I'm thinking it might be a little bit too easy to move through the levels with our current breakpoints.

Check out https://minus.moe/newpoints.php to see the amount of EXP we're giving for each action. Do any of these values seem too high to you?

Edit: Another way to combat this would be to just make spells more expensive than we were planning. The ones in the spreadsheet start at 10EXP I believe, which is an entirely trivial amount of EXP to collect. Seems like considering how many actions we give points for, a fair starting point for the weakest spells would be closer to 25 EXP.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yoshin
I would say change the spells, not the EXP gained
T-man
(May 16, 2016 at 5:19 PM)Yoshin Wrote: I would say change the spells, not the EXP gained

Me too, I think that having the fruits of your posting be immediately tangible is a good thing. Spells just ought to cost a bit more.
Spritanium
Alright good, that's what I was leaning toward as well

Another thing to keep in mind is that the scale isn't linear, but instead each level takes more EXP than the last to level up. So we'll probably see a lot of people around level 2-4, but the higher levels will be more rare and hard to achieve.
T-man
(May 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Another thing to keep in mind is that the scale isn't linear, but instead each level takes more EXP than the last to level up. So we'll probably see a lot of people around level 2-4, but the higher levels will be more rare and hard to achieve.
I was thinking the same thing, especially since the XP you need to level up increases but the XP payout does not.
Draku
XP needed per level should increase, as should spell costs.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
(May 16, 2016 at 8:05 PM)Draku Wrote: XP needed per level should increase, as should spell costs.

What do you think some good level breakpoints would be? The current values can be found in the admin CP Newpoints tab, under Level EXP Breakpoints.

Oh also I'll have to add a "max EXP" field on that page, since right now the highest possible value for level 10 is just hardcoded
Spritanium
What I like about the current breakpoints is that you need 100 to get past level 1, 200 more to get past level 2, 300 more to get past level 3, and so on
Draku
I would say multiplying all current levelling requirements by 1.5x would make an all right quick solution to start off from and somewhat retain the current logic to the breakpoints. We can alter "balance patches" once the new MW gets off the ground anyways. If requirements are too low/high once the forum is actually running and people start gaining legitimate levels stocked up we can alter things.

You also have to keep in mind the system of XP being granted in reparation when a spell is cast upon a user -- this will almost certainly make levelling go far faster than what we're seeing right now without the casting system in place, ESPECIALLY with the high cost spells.

Maybe it's just me, but I also think that casting should be (somewhat of) a special occurrence. It would be kind of dumb to be able to go ahead and start off with the ability to cast even low level spells without end for little cost. A bit of the charm wears off once you've seen the same thing cast for the 50th time, and putting some weight behind even low level spells sounds like the way to go in my opinion.
fucker5
I support increasing level costs and spell costs. There needs to be a balance though; spells have to be rare enough that's it's like "holy shit" when they're used effectively but still inexpensive enough that people aren't deterred from casting them.

Is level 10 as the max level the final decided-upon amount?
fucker5
also woo level 2 \o/

"finally level _" is the new "edit: YAY 69420 POSTS"
fucker5
(May 17, 2016 at 12:26 AM)Draku Wrote: "balance patches"
once everybody's adjusted to the new meta we should have TF2-style update packs, would work well with hat mechanics too
Mario
[deleted]
Spritanium
If we could eventually have some sort of algorithm to determine spell cost based on forum activity, that would be awesome (and incredibly complicated)
Draku
(May 17, 2016 at 4:20 AM)wtl Wrote: on the other hand though the real numbers that matter are how active the forum is. if it's a dead forum no one can get spells so the costs of things should shrink, if its booming and way active then it should cost more. so balance adjusting is unavoidable even if we hit the sweet spot now
yeah what i want to have happen is look at the data collected from how spells are used and every month have a balance patch where costs are adjusted based on what's been used a lot, what isn't getting used, general activity, etc
Spritanium
I still feel weird about being at level 3 just from making test posts for a little over a month
Draku
(May 17, 2016 at 5:00 AM)Spritanium Wrote: I still feel weird about being at level 3 just from making test posts for a little over a month
yeah thats the thing, im level 2 and i barely did anything on this forum. it doesn't feel Right
Spritanium
(May 17, 2016 at 5:02 AM)Draku Wrote:
(May 17, 2016 at 5:00 AM)Spritanium Wrote: I still feel weird about being at level 3 just from making test posts for a little over a month
yeah thats the thing, im level 2 and i barely did anything on this forum. it doesn't feel Right
Yep. Increasing the lower levels' breakpoints is probably the only fix for that
Spritanium
Maybe keeping level 1 at 100 is fine just so people can level up for the first time before too long
fucker5
yeah. then it can become fucking 2004 maple story