T-man
No need to ask Spritey, since it's plastered on our user profiles.

Mine has got to be the original LittleBigPlanet, it's basically comfy incarnate. I love the other entries in the series, but the first one really commit to the handcrafted aesthetic that was more or less compromised to add more features in later games.

I hear the Gardens music and it takes me right back to 2008

The flute in this track gives me a nostalgia chub.

So tell me -w, What's your favorite video game?
Spritanium
(May 24, 2016 at 3:02 PM)T-man Wrote: No need to ask Spritey, since it's plastered on our user profiles.

LOL
Spritanium
Yep Super Mario Sunshine takes it for me

Nintendo did so much experimentation during the Gamecube era, I mean when else has there actually been an honest attempt at connecting storylines between first-party Mario games? It's kitchy as hell and I love it for that, but more importantly the controls are rock solid. Giving Mario a water jetpack was ridiculously risky and it paid off so well. Although the level design and the variety of environments could be better (and fuck blue coins), the execution is something really special.

#2 would probably be Super Mario World, I think I just like games where Mario goes on vacation
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
The simplification of Mario's move set is the worst thing about new 3D Mario games, Sunshine Mario was fluid as fuck. If you were a good player you had quite a few tricks in your arsenal to make the act of traversal fun.

I also really don't understand how someone could say Sunshine has inadequate level variety, all it's levels are contextualized within Isle Delfino, but what other Mario games have a theme park level, a harbor level, a haunted hotel level, and a village in the sky level?
Draku
i've always found myself having the most fun overall with jrpgs and simply letting myself get wrapped up in the enjoyment of combat and the charm of the overall character/setting design only to realize it's hours later. that's a large part of why i like neptunia so much, it fulfills that beautifully without ever making things too complex. it's an extremely basic series but i think it's better off for it, a lot of jrpgs try too hard to introduce a bunch of gimmicks to their dungeons, make you run around areas to activate all of the various cutscenes to pad out the hours, and what have you.

neptunia knows that the cutscenes are a main attraction and since the games are too low budget to have non-dungeon areas they can't pad the game out with those either and thus simply hand them to you. so there's a great pacing where you can enjoy the whimsical nature of the characters and plot, have it end before it gets old, go into a dungeon and have fun simply playing the game with no huge gimmicks for a while (such a fun battle system too, holy shit. it's not too complex but it has just the right amount of interaction and requiring attention while still being relaxing to play), and then right before that might become stale for the moment, you're given a breather in the form of more fun scenes. it's a formula that works and it has almost no bells or whistles that might get in the way.

the harder part would be choosing which one i like the most. if i had to be objective it'd end up being v-ii easily, but mk2 has the advantage in my particular case for being the first one i played and thus the one i went into with zero expectations and came out having the most pure enjoyment i'd had in a game in years or possibly ever, so i have an extremely positive tint upon how i view it in particular. i suppose you could also make the point that mk2 was the one that set the series on the current track it's on (after what i learned was one of the most horrendous starts to a series ever) and thus deserves more praise for being more original gameplay-wise than the others which simply build off of its example.

it's definitely not a series for everyone but it hits everything i like about jrpgs, my favorite genre, in just the right spots. i could not at all claim that they're masterpieces or anything. plus the re;births kind of made people who started on PC/vita have a weird view of the series thanks to the laziness of how they were made by a different developer who managed to make already somewhat similar games nearly identical feeling and also made a whole "new" game out of recycled content from the other entries in r;b1. at least i still managed to have fun with those.

(May 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM)T-man Wrote: The simplification of Mario's move set is the worst thing about new 3D Mario games, Sunshine Mario was fluid as fuck. If you were a good player you had quite a few tricks in your arsenal to make the act of traversal fun.
3d mario has only lost control options since 64 and it baffles the FUCK out of me. i mean super mario 3d world is a very different style of game but there's no excuse in galaxy's case at all. sunshine at least substituted for what it removed from mario's arsenal with the fludd.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
(May 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM)T-man Wrote: I also really don't understand how someone could say Sunshine has inadequate level variety, all it's levels are contextualized within Isle Delfino, but what other Mario games have a theme park level, a harbor level, a haunted hotel level, and a village in the sky level?

That's true. I think the main complaint people have is that nearly every level has the same blue sky/palm trees/water

But I mean, it's a goddamn tropical island, what do they expect

The blue coins are the only thing fundamentally wrong with that game (and the fact that 120 shines gives you nothing but an extra cliffhanger that will never be resolved because nintendo)
kaZaam
(May 24, 2016 at 5:10 PM)Draku Wrote: 3d mario has only lost control options since 64 and it baffles the FUCK out of me. i mean super mario 3d world is a very different style of game but there's no excuse in galaxy's case at all. sunshine at least substituted for what it removed from mario's arsenal with the fludd.
thinking that's why i don't like galaxy much. w/ all the little level gimmicks it has it still feels really limiting and the motion controls don't add anything and feel forced af.

anyway i'll have to think about this. i prob can't say an all-time fav so mayb i'll just go by genre or some shit
kaZaam
idk link to the past was my alltime when i was like ten lmao. not a bad choice but ehhhh just not sure anymore
Yoshin
Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii. The combination of a rich story plus all the exploration just does something to me.
Also the killer music
Mario
[deleted]
T-man
(May 25, 2016 at 1:06 AM)wtl Wrote: pack man
[Image: abXxY6q.png]
kaZaam
doom1 & 2 are p fantastic but that might just be because of the dickton of mods for 2

i guess on their own doom1's the better game really. like yea doom2's got the xtra enemies and the db shotgun but goddang the level designers mustve given up midway and just methbinged til release or something cause seriousl what's w/ like half those lebels
Elyk
There are so many good games that I've played that I don't think I could ever pick an all time favorite. The best I could do is favorites by genre but even then it would take me a while to narrow it down and choose the best.

Off the top of my head a few would be Super Mario 64, Dark Souls, Portal, Elite Beat Agents, Banjo-Kazooie, and Wario Land 3.
Draku
(May 25, 2016 at 3:32 AM)Elyk Wrote: Portal
having replayed portal 1/2 multiple times, i just can't get behind portal 1 anymore. it has more difficult puzzles but the guidance for them is questionable at best and the polish is nonexistent. (also the electro-ball puzzles are fucking garbage, there's advantages to them over the laser but THE TRAVEL TIME IS INFURIATING) 2 has simpler puzzles and a lot of shit where you simply find the places you can put a portal, but the design behind leading the player to solving them is a lot better. plus portal 2's writing is fucking golden.

(May 25, 2016 at 3:32 AM)Elyk Wrote: Elite Beat Agents
this is really close to the top for me and i almost picked it. -the- best rhythm game ever made and one of the only ones i think truly makes sense design-wise. the ouendan games are absolutely fantastic too of course, considering they're nearly identical. it's too bad osu is complete shit and no one knows how to make beatmaps properly, i have been wanting a new proper EBA/ouendan game for years on end.

EDIT: mere hours after posting this i learn that it's apparently old news that osu spies on you via taking screencaps of your PC and sending them to the dev. wow.
kaZaam
wario land 2-4 are fuckin tremendous. theyre so surreal and creative
kaZaam
yea portal's kinda ehhh to me. like i feel i would've liked it more if i just got to experience it myself w/o knowing what i was in for instead of the internet telling me how perf it is because valve and it's funny or something
Spritanium
(May 25, 2016 at 3:48 AM)Draku Wrote:
(May 25, 2016 at 3:32 AM)Elyk Wrote: Portal
having replayed portal 1/2 multiple times, i just can't get behind portal 1 anymore. it has more difficult puzzles but the guidance for them is questionable at best and the polish is nonexistent. (also the electro-ball puzzles are fucking garbage, there's advantages to them over the laser but THE TRAVEL TIME IS INFURIATING) 2 has simpler puzzles and a lot of shit where you simply find the places you can put a portal, but the design behind leading the player to solving them is a lot better. plus portal 2's writing is fucking golden.

Yeah the first is skippable. It basically feels like a tech demo for the sequel, which is well-written enough that it explains everything from #1 anyway.
T-man

>yfw portal 2 came out 5 years ago

>valve has not made a single game since then

Draku
(May 25, 2016 at 4:43 PM)T-man Wrote: >yfw portal 2 came out 5 years ago

>valve has not made a single game since then

well, no -singleplayer- games anyways

and the multiplayer ones are a fucking disaster
rtsmarty
(May 25, 2016 at 3:48 AM)Draku Wrote: EDIT: mere hours after posting this i learn that it's apparently old news that osu spies on you via taking screencaps of your PC and sending them to the dev. wow.
wait what lmao who thought that was a good idea