[Day 3] - Shuttled off this Mortal Coil

Spooks?
(Feb 11, 2024 at 8:55 PM)Morgan Wrote: Could I show off my Sigil Study as well?
Quote:
Sigil Study

Throughout history, sigils and Occultic magic have been deeply linked. It is believed that the foundation of this practice lies in the ability of sigils to focus and channel the Esotera comprising one’s soul or the soul of another - converting it into Occultic energy and directing it to fulfill a function.

This practice is one of the few ways that non-anomalous entities can utilize Esotera, however it comes at personal cost or requires external sacrifice - the required souls scaling with the power of the sigil’s intent. Each sigil performs a different function, and sigils are vast and varied in nature. The origin of Occultic sigils are unknown, though many of them predate modern records.

The function of the sigil discovered on the corpses of the Whisper Valley victims is unknown. Attempts to replicate it on several donated cadavers have produced no meaningful results. Requests for testing on living subjects are pending approval.

(Feb 11, 2024 at 9:31 PM)Indiana Jones (Old) Wrote: I'm curious what blew up after the detonator was pressed. I'd like to check the mines and the service elevator shaft.

I would also like to take another look at the blocked passages in the mine shafts. What kinds of gates and locks are we working with?
You inspect the mines...

Spoiler:

[Image: mineshaft_bwwrhl.png]

You re-enter the Mines, aiming to inspect them in more detail. The entrance shaft appears much the same as before - relatively well lit and notably not exploded in any capacity. The crate of dynamite appears emptier than earlier, however. Using a flashlight, you continue into the darkness, leaving the light of the entryway behind as you walk into the dark tunnels beyond.

You keep walking, following your map to fully explore. A rhythmic clanging echoes through the tunnels in the distance. You decide to follow the sound, keeping your eyes out for any kind of spooky monsters.

[Image: minecrusher_taepbw.png]

You arrive in a cavern at the north of the mines. A crusher sits at the end of the room, rhythmically pounding up and down. You examine it, and it appears to have a shutoff mechanism - though it requires a key that you don’t have. You can see some kind of glow coming from behind the machine’s maw, but the crusher opens and closes too quickly for you to see. It looks… kind of modern though, not like something from the original mining operation.

You leave, and enter the Explosive Storage, where Liz' body was discovered.

This area seems also intact and not blown up at all. It's exactly the same as you left it. Near the body and the crates of dynamite appears to be a passage sealed off by a thick metal grate. A door is in the middle, leading to the other side, however it seems locked. A red pipe runs along the ceiling and through the grate. Inspecting the door closer, you find that it is a steel door, somewhat sturdy but seemingly not locked by electronic means. It seems to require a physical key to unlock.

Satisfied, you return to the crusher and head for the other cavern.

You keep walking, and the tunnel’s rocky walls slowly give way to a crystalline material, giving off a soft glow. You find yourself in another large grotto once the tunnel gives way to an open space. Large crystals jut out of the walls and floor, some glowing a soft blue, others seeming to be inert and pale. You reach out to touch one of the glowing ones, and it seems to… react to your touch almost. Glowing slightly brighter when you’re in contact with it. There also appears to be some equipment and tables set up in here, all branded with the Bureau logo.

At the end of the room is another grate and doorway. It is identical to the one in the other cavern.

The Crusher and Crystal Cave will be added to the map for the next phase.

After that, you head back inside and check out the Service Elevator shaft. It looks remarkably un-exploded, and is still completely intact.
Spooks?
(Feb 11, 2024 at 9:34 PM)Izumi Konata Wrote: I guess I'll open up both the doors left to open in the aquatic lab, as well. Just get them over with it
You decide to check out the other two doors...

[Image: room2_zlu0jb.png]

The upper door takes you to... a shuttle station, mostly identical to the other two in the facility, though it is very dim in here, and the power is not working. There is another shuttle here too, also identical to the one in the main facility. Well, the former one in the main facility. Thanks, Momoyo.

The lower door leads to a hallway. There is a door to the north leading to the shuttle station, and a door to the south. Two anomaly containment rooms are at the end of the hall, which turns downwards to the south.
Izumi Konata
Since power isn't on, gonna walk down the shuttle to see where it leads
Indiana Jones (Old)
Can I get a look at the labels on those anomaly containment rooms?
Spooks?
(Feb 12, 2024 at 1:02 AM)Izumi Konata Wrote: Since power isn't on, gonna walk down the shuttle to see where it leads
You begin walking along the tracks, which lead east. Eventually, you arrive at some kind of shuttered door. There is what looks to be a control panel nearby to raise it, but it seems to be ineffective.

The screen on the panel reads [ERROR: POWER DIVERTED TO THALASSIC SEAL] when you try to press it.

(Feb 12, 2024 at 1:02 AM)Indiana Jones (Old) Wrote: Can I get a look at the labels on those anomaly containment rooms?
You peek into the first one... It looks completely empty, save for a key hanging on a hook at the other side of the room. You read the information panel...

Code:
BPI-5203 [Trapdoor Spider]
[ACCESS LEVEL: IV]
[THREAT LEVEL: RED]
[DESCRIPTION]: An empty room, save for a key hanging on a hook on the far wall.

[INFORMATION]: Unknown

...Creepy. You then turn towards the next room. It appears to contain a slick, black, wooden coffin. Even looking at it fills you with the urge to enter the room and climb inside, comfortable and safe for all eternity.

Code:
BPI-4949 [Joys of Finality]
[ACCESS LEVEL: III]
[THREAT LEVEL: RED]
[DESCRIPTION]: A black wooden coffin.

[INFORMATION]: Unknown
Izumi Konata
Time to head down the south hallway now, so what's down that path
Dr. Niles Crane
Check the large southern lab (door on the south wall in the hallway) where I found the corkboard and odd equipment

Assuming that monster won't pop up again, let's check what's around the corner to the east
Spooks?
(Feb 12, 2024 at 1:16 AM)Izumi Konata Wrote: Time to head down the south hallway now, so what's down that path

(Feb 12, 2024 at 1:17 AM)Dr. Niles Crane Wrote: Check the large southern lab (door on the south wall in the hallway) where I found the corkboard and odd equipment

Assuming that monster won't pop up again, let's check what's around the corner to the east
You check the door on the south wall. Inside, you find another lab, though this one is… bizarre. Mostly full of high-tech equipment that you can’t figure out the purpose of at first glance. There’s some masks in here too, hooked up to weird machines. A corkboard hangs on one of the walls, with some documents and images pinned to it. Some of them bear a purple triangle logo.

On a table is a stockpile of random items, both ancient and modern, in a box labeled [EXPENDED - TO BE INCINERATED]. There is also an old CRT in the corner, with a VHS player.

Konata looks down the southern hallway, joined later by Dr. Niles Crane. It extends south, with one doorway to the west and a bulletin board spanning much of the eastern wall. The western room is locked by an access level too high for your collective group.

At the end of the hallway is a door. It appears to be locked, albeit from your side.

[Image: room4_shmbns.png]
Izumi Konata
what's on the bulletin board?
Nashu Mhakaracca
Now I want to look at the cork board!
*Mute
(Feb 12, 2024 at 1:44 AM)Spooks? Wrote: On a table is a stockpile of random items, both ancient and modern, in a box labeled [EXPENDED - TO BE INCINERATED]. There is also an old CRT in the corner, with a VHS player.

[Image: hlX8PlP.png]

[Image: hVDPZJJ.png]

What.

[Image: D316Dd6.png]

It's not still there, is it? Astrid, Lyra, could one of you check and make sure BPI-4264 isn't in that box?
Character & sprites from Analogue: A Hate Story
Spooks?
(Feb 9, 2024 at 5:52 PM)Giffany Wrote: Before I could be knocked out, I got a print of those, IRC logs! Would you all like to see those IRC logs? I would love to let you all read those, IRC logs!
Giffany presents some IRC chat logs, printed out on a sheet of paper.

Code:
18:22    <B-335>: Has the experiment been conducted?
18:22    <C-240>: on?
18:23    <B-335>: The sigil. Have you placed it on the body? What did you observe?
18:23    <C-240>: yea
18:23    <C-240>: its on there, circle thing
18:24    <C-240>: half ass pentagram lookin guy
18:24    <B-335>: Well?
18:24    <C-240>: well what?
18:25    <C-240>: im not a necromancer dipshit
18:25    <C-240>: what exactly did you want me to observe
18:25    <C-240>: dudes dead
18:28    <B-335>: Any abnormalities? Movement of the body, anomalous phenomena? I would appreciate it if you took this more seriously.
18:28    <C-240>: yea and seriously hes dead
18:29    <C-240>: didnt get up or move
18:29    <C-240>: no zombies, ghosts, wraiths or spooks
18:31    <C-240>: not the robot i'm sure hes around
18:31    <C-240>: prob
18:31    <B-335>: Then it appears the function of the Nocturnum Sigil is still unknown.
18:31    <B-335>: Continue testing for now.
18:32    <C-240>: right
18:32    <C-240>: right...
18:33    <C-240>: u know ur not even doing it right. it was carved into the victims when they were alive right
18:33    <C-240>: not sharpie on a dead guy
18:33    <B-335>: I see. I was not aware that would be a problem. I will inquire as to whether living subjects can be obtained. I ordinarily would have my doubts that the Director would approve this, however time is of the essence in recent years.
18:34    <C-240>: yea w/e i dont really care
18:34    <C-240>: still
18:34    <C-240>: sharpie are u kidding me B-335
Spooks?
(Feb 12, 2024 at 1:52 AM)Izumi Konata Wrote: what's on the bulletin board?
You take a look at the bulletin board in the hall. Looks mostly to be covered in safety posters, information about how to access your health benefits, boring stuff like that.

(Feb 12, 2024 at 1:55 AM)Nashu Mhakaracca Wrote: Now I want to look at the cork board!
You inspect the cork board in the laboratory. It seems to have several files stuck to it, some baring a symbol resembling a purple triangular spiral. It looks like most of these files are about Esotera, the Seals, and the Abyss Team.

You would be better off trying to take a look during the secretive hours of the Night though... you never know who's watching.

(Feb 12, 2024 at 2:44 AM)*Mute Wrote:
(Feb 12, 2024 at 1:44 AM)Spooks? Wrote: On a table is a stockpile of random items, both ancient and modern, in a box labeled [EXPENDED - TO BE INCINERATED]. There is also an old CRT in the corner, with a VHS player.

[Image: hlX8PlP.png]

What.

[Image: D316Dd6.png]

It's not still there, is it? Astrid, Lyra, could one of you check and make sure BPI-4264 isn't in that box?
[Image: Untitled-4-Recovered_nbzufl.png]

4264? The hell's a 4264?

Lyra begins rummaging through the box, throwing a variety of items over her shoulder. A passport for a country that shouldn't exist, a watch that ticks backwards, a copy of Chicken Run for the N64... none of these are particularly interesting, but they seem just off enough to maybe count as Anomalies.

Astrid picks up the N64 cartridge, examining it.

[Image: hmm_emdrha.png]

Yeah... none of these are labeled. You're out of luck.

(Feb 9, 2024 at 4:05 AM)Lita Wrote: Also present my lore post for whenever you get around to it.

You present a Shipping Manifest.

[Image: ship_xyqx9t.png]
Spooks?
(Feb 11, 2024 at 2:46 AM)Riki Wrote: Riki show Traveler's Lantern report and Traveler's Journal page 2 to all friends!
Dodo still friend, too, even after bad thing. Give Heropon big scare, but Heropon forgive, because Dodo nice other times. When Nopon repeat name twice, Nopon big big respect! But Dodo already Dodo. Dodo-Dodo?

...Dodo older than Riki? Riki not "children," but know Dodo care for friends like Riki care lots and lots for littlepon. Meh...

You present a small document, accompanied by a very old and crude sketch.

Quote:
[Note: Traveler’s Lantern]

[Image: lantern_aipfvy.png]

[Illustration of the Traveler’s Lantern - Date of Creation Unknown]

The Traveler’s Lantern is an astrological phenomenon witnessed throughout history. Considered to be a non-periodic comet, only rarely and irregularly returning to our solar system, it is considered notable for its ___________ glow and __________ pattern of appearance.

The Traveler’s Lantern is named after the constellation it is known to pass through upon its visits, known as “The Traveler”. As it crosses the constellation’s threshold, it is said in various folklore that a ________ is revealed somewhere in the world, and its faded path of light may lead you there.

It has not been sighted for close to a decade.

You then present an old page from a journal, just as worn as the sketch of the comet.

Quote:
[Traveler’s Journal - English Translation (pg. 2)]

I had never been out to sea before. Long had I watched the fishermen embark early in the morning from the comfort of my childhood home, though now that I’ve set out upon these unsteady waters for myself, I can see that I had taken my comfort on land for granted. I am traveling with a small crew, outsiders who had come to our village to trade.

Their vessel is small, their resting quarters tight. In times of calm weather, I elect to sleep upon the deck instead, staring upwards at the stars, only the gentle glow of my lantern for company - though on occasion the captain joins me. The stars, he tells me, are a navigator’s closest ally. Their guiding light, always reliable when lost upon the vast empty beyond the shores. Some, he tells me, believe that one’s fate is mapped out upon the night sky.

I believe that he speaks the truth. On the eve of my outset, I had gazed towards the sky much as I do now. A brilliant ______________ streaked through the air, a celestial lantern whose glow matched my own. This, I knew, was a sign. The stars shall be my guiding light, and as long as their light shines, I shall never lose my way.

___________, I shall call their magic. Though I may never wield its power like the people of old, it will always be by my side.
Izumi Konata
Flip Astrid's constellation book through to the page on the Traveller and show it off
Dodo
(Feb 11, 2024 at 7:03 PM)Spooks? Wrote: You creep over to Roxie's dead body before Lyra can take it away to the Morgue, rummaging through her pockets like a scumbag grave robber. You don't find anything though, outside of a spare Level IV access card.

[Image: Winkhand_bakmwu.png]

Oh, thank you [AGENT DESIGNATION - DXHUSTLER3000]! This card will be deactivated by this evening, so I shall take it for safe disposal.

[Image: 5502dc2b856602cf0163e6ca2d8ce0863ca3986e.gifv]

YOU COULD JUST GIVE IT BACK TO ME RIGHT NOW.
I AM RIGHT HERE. LESS PLASTIC TRASH THAT WAY.

UNLESS YOU ARE ATTEMPTING MURDER ON THE ENVIRONMENT.
YOU ARE A LITTLE LATE FOR THAT. THE INCENTIVE IS OVER.
Spooks?
(Feb 11, 2024 at 2:09 AM)Jonsohn Smithy Wrote: I will present [Interrogation Transcript 1]
You present a transcript of what seems to be an interrogation, dating from the summer of 2008.

Quote:WHISPER VALLEY MURDER INVESTIGATION
INTERROGATION TRANSCRIPT - PARTIAL

[LEADING AGENT]: AGENT S. SINCLAIR
[INTERROGATION SUBJECT]: X. WEXLYN
[DATE]: 06/30/2008

S: Alright, just for the record, I have to state that you’re not currently an active suspect, and that this interrogation is strictly voluntary. Your alibi checks out - your sister and multiple staff members at the Historical Society confirm your whereabouts at the time of the first murder, and we don’t currently believe an accomplice is involved.

S: (Leading Agent pauses.)

S: …But you said you wanted to talk anyway, so I’ll hear you out. Any information is appreciated. If it’s okay, I’d like to start with a couple questions.

X: Yeah, sure. You said it - I’m cleared. So, I’ve got nothing to hide. Ask away, I’ve got answers for days.

S: Right, okay. Well, first of all… “Wexlyn”, not exactly a popular name in the area. There’s a lot of people out here that blame your great-grandad for leaving this town out to dry when he abandoned the mining operation. I’m not from around here, so no judgment, obviously. Still. I recognize your name. Wealthy family, heir to an international corporate empire. So, with all this in mind… What exactly brought you out to a tourist trap in the middle of the off-season?

X: Definitely wasn’t the hotel quality, I’ll tell you that. You ever stay at the Midnight Motel? AWFUL, seriously. Plus, the weather sucks.

S: I’ve been staying at the Whisper Valley Inn. It’s not that bad. Besides, I like the weather. It’s… comfortable, if that makes sense.

X: Yeah, great. Lucky you. Anyway, I’m here on personal matters, I guess. You can probably find the story in one of those fucking… stock exchange newsletter rags. Our father passed away, and…

X: (Subject pauses.)

X: Well, I was perfectly happy with my position heading up the media division. That kind of thing is what I really care about, not boardroom meetings and investor calls. But then my fuckup brother left us out to dry, went off to med school and left all the responsibility on my shoulders. So, when dad passed away, guess who was left to pick up the pieces and shoulder literally everything?

S: I’m sorry for your loss. I’ve lost someone close to me too, so I understand the pain.

X: Eh. No pain here, trust me. The thing they don’t tell you about being a rich kid is that, surprisingly, you end up being raised by rich adults. Anyway, it’s not that bad. My sister’s handling a lot of the business side. She’s good at it.

S: Well, I appreciate you sharing with me. It seems like this is a sensitive subject. Still, while I enjoy listening to people’s stories, I don’t understand the relevance. I’m happy to talk, but I’m not a therapist, and this doesn’t have anything to do with the case.

X: I’m getting to it. The reason I’m here. When dad passed, we had to sit and listen to some lawyer list off his various held investments, donations, boring shit like that. Thing is though… turns out our family’s been donating money to this Historical Society for like a century for “Mine Preservation” or some shit. To be honest, I needed one last escape from all this business talk, before it became the rest of my life, so…

S: You came out here to check it out?

X: More or less. Place is kind of a dump, but I guess I’m a sucker for the Halloween stuff. Figured I could hang out here, figure out why we’ve been throwing money at this place. I mean, it’s not all fun and games - not with Roxanne tagging along, but you know how it is.

S: I see. Well, I agree on one front - I’ve always enjoyed the “spooky” stuff too. You could say it’s what drew me to the Special Investigations unit. Still, if you’re just here on family matters, what made you come forward and want to talk? You don’t seem to have any connection to the case, you have an alibi, and you’re in town for what is… presumably a good reason - even if we haven’t verified these donation claims yet.

(APPROXIMATE 5 SEC. PAUSE)

X: Okay. See, there’s not much to do around here in the summer, I learned that real fast. You either hit up the bar, watch TV, maybe a video game, or you pick up the newspaper. I’ve been doing a whole lot of the latter. I’ve seen the papers, the articles about this case. The victim. And, well… that marking carved into their chest….

X: (Subject pauses.)

X: The thing is… I recognize it.

[TRANSCRIPT END]
*Mute
(Feb 11, 2024 at 6:53 PM)Dodo Wrote: ...

[Image: RISa04m.png]

Seriously? Seriously?

[Image: 0N27fd1.png]

Okay, there are Anomalies that don't require containment and haven't done anything wrong. But, you can say it's her natural life cycle all you want but do you really think it would benefit anyone for Momoyo to be out there uncontained? I know I said to give her the benefit of the doubt. I hate to speak ill of the dead without very good reason. But you can read her Anomaly file for yourself now. Would you actually feel sympathy for her over Morgan almost getting his dead body puppeted by that centipede bitch?

[Image: oVHZdTZ.png]

If you want me to feel so sorry for Anomalies like BPI-6660 or BPI-4386 when everyone here, human or not, is in the same hopeless situation... I'm sorry, but that's repugnant.

[Image: CW805l8.png]

And you went right ahead and let the Crimson Eye release BPI-2101, endangering the safety of everyone at the Facility! If you really think it's going to stop at killing just humans, I don't even know what to tell you.

[Image: nL04HJ1.png]

Come on, you killed an Anomaly yourself, and you don't exactly seem sorry about it! I know, it's difficult to entirely blame you with the situation you're in, but maybe don't give us all this self-righteousness on top? Eugh.

[Image: BPW7A0G.png]

...Phenera, dear.

[Image: O3PbHEG.png]

I don't know where you're getting assignments that are so unprofessional, not to mention unladylike. I certainly don't approve of them, whoever's ordering a young lady to do that stuff without even giving a damn good reason. But you've been polite, diligent, and deferential to your superiors.

[Image: dat9Jcf.png]

And pretty gutsy, for a woman! Really, I think you show a lot of promise.

[Image: iqy9ZaP.png]

That bird doesn't have your safety in mind. Please, don't take my word for it, make up your own mind, but listen to Dodo in his own words. What he says and everything he conveniently leaves out. The things he says about the Bureau are completely skewed! They don't match how my mistress treats Anomalies. Not at all.

[Image: KG0ZAaJ.png]

Music:

[Image: p47z1NW.png]

So here we are, I guess. It's almost nightfall again.

[Image: QiCh8jF.png]

As far as things could have gone... Well, they could have gone a lot worse, right? One case correct, and one Crimson Eye member identified. Even if, you know, I don't like how that happened or how it ended up. At the very least just for pragmatic reasons, it would have been better to have Roxie alive. But this just goes to show you the kind of sick logic these games run on.

[Image: 8jeH7ey.png]

I've been thinking about what Astrid and *Spooks told me. I don't want to dwell on it, but well, either I'm not supposed to be here in the first place, or I'm a security AI that can't protect her own facility. It's a bit messed up, no matter what.

[Image: cps33lY.png]

I don't need you feeling sorry for me though, okay?

[Image: BPW7A0G.png]

We did some good work, at least about as good as can be expected in such a bad situation, don't get me wrong. And my programming is pretty clear that I have a duty to ensure the Central Facility's security, and that's what I have to obey even if I'm not sure it's true that I was here before now. When I think about whether I'm really supposed to be here or not, that sense of duty just comes back to me.

[Image: rG2jVeg.png]

And it was nice talking to you all, despite the circumstances. Goodbye.

[Image: et9I4Dl.png]

I'll go into Sleep Mode in a few minutes. But if I can ever be of assistance again, just let me know, okay?
Character & sprites from Analogue: A Hate Story
Dodo
(Feb 13, 2024 at 12:23 PM)*Mute Wrote: [Image: RISa04m.png]

Seriously? Seriously?

[Image: d1a73b64e90a6db9af50c1aa290245c7f12b0934.gifv]

FIRST, LET US CLEAR UP A MISCONCEPTION.

I DID NOT KILL AN ANOMALY. I KILLED A HOMOMORPHIC IMPOSTOR.
I KNOW HUMANS LIKE TO THROW THEIR TERMS AROUND WITH WILD ABANDON, BUT THE ONLY TRUE ANOMALIES THAT HAVE DIED SO FAR WERE MOMOYO AND THE GOOSE.

ADDITIONALLY, YOU SEEM TO HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT THIS "VICTIM" WAS RUNNING AROUND STABBING PASSERSBY. BY YOUR OWN MORALS, THIS SHOULD BE CONTEMPTIBLE. IF IT IS A SIN TO PUT A HUMAN LIKE THAT INTO THEIR GRAVE, THEN YOU MAY PRAY FOR MY SOUL.

MOMOYO HAS SINNED THROUGH HER DECEPTION, YES.
AND LIKE A SINNER, SHE HAS PAID THE PRICE.

YOU WILL RECALL THAT I NEVER DEFENDED HER ACTIONS, AND IN FACT HELPED CLEAR THE MORGAN HUMAN OF SUSPICION. SO YOUR CRIES OF "B-BUT WHAT IF YOU WOULD HAVE LET MORGAN DIE" ARE ILL-APPROPRIATE AT BEST.

AS FOR YOUR ALLEGATIONS IN REGARD TO THE BUREAU'S COMPETENCE... I WILL ADDRESS THIS IN DUE TIME.
BUT REST ASSURED, THE POSITION I AM IN FAR EXCEEDS YOURS IN BEING ABLE TO ASSESS THE SITUATION.

. . .

ANYWAY, WHAT DO YOU SUPPOSE I MEAN WHEN I CALLED THE THING I KILLED AN IMPOSTOR?

Music:

[Image: dcb3cdab26c56e434d7906a4a04e2a4e1bb2b92d.gifv]

SIT DOWN AND LET FATHER DODO TELL YOU A BEDTIME STORY.

YOU THROW THE WORD "ANOMALY" AROUND LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. I DO NOT BLAME YOU. YOU ARE A COMPUTER, YOU ONLY KNOW THE DEFINITION SOME SWEAT-BROWED TECH GUY TYPED INTO YOU.

"ANOMALY" IS A RELATIVELY RECENT TERM. WE HAVE HAD MANY DIFFERENT NAMES ACROSS TIME PERIODS AND CULTURES.

"DEMONS"

"YOKAI"

"GENII"

"ESOTERANS"

"MAGICAL BEASTS"

"ABERRATIONS"

"ANOMALIES"

AND MANY MORE.

SINCE TIME IMMEMORIAL, WE HAVE EXISTED ON THIS PLANET ALONGSIDE HUMANS. SOME HAVE WORSHIPED US AS SPIRITUAL DEITIES, OTHERS WERE CONTENT TO LET US BE.

[Image: 8c4009285fe33d98be23c3a1e2dfcacbf60fe90d.pnj]

BUT THE VAST MAJORITY OF YOU HAVE HUNTED DOWN AND KILLED US EVER SINCE YOU LEARNED TO WALK ON TWO LEGS. SOMETIMES FOR SPORT, SOMETIMES FOR TERRITORY. BUT USUALLY FOR ONE THING.

POWER.

WE ARE BLESSED WITH MANY FORMIDABLE ABILITIES. YOU HAVE ALWAYS ENVIED US FOR THIS, AND THROUGH THIS ENVY YOU HAVE DISCOVERED METHODS TO TAKE THEM FROM US THROUGH OUR ESSENCE. WHAT YOU CALL ESOTERA.

RECALL COLLECTIONS OF YOUR HUMAN HISTORY AND LEGENDS. YOU MAY FIND MANY EXAMPLES OF IT IN THE LITURGICAL STUDY AND LIBRARIES.

TALES OF "VALIANT HEROES" SLAYING DRAGONS AND CONSUMING THEIR BLOOD FOR IMMORTALITY, OR CARVING MAGICAL WEAPONRY OUT OF OUR BONES AND HIDES. ANCIENT "WIZARDS" GRAFTING THE LIMBS OF OUR ANCESTORS ONTO THEIR BODIES, OR GRINDING UP OUR TEETH TO PUT INTO POTENT ELIXIRS.

(Feb 11, 2024 at 7:43 PM)Spooks? Wrote:
Quote:
[Esotera Lab Note]

With our Estoera infusion experiments showing promising results, it may be time to expand our [REDACTED] Program beyond its initial limited scope.

The prospect of recruiting sentient Anomalous entities to serve as researchers and deep-cover field agents has worked well in the cases of [DATA EXPUNGED] and [DATA EXPUNGED] (though the former’s morality remains extremely skewed, likely due to severe Occultic erosion). However without the cover of a Containment Breach, enacting the recruitment process remains difficult without raising the eyebrows of many staff members once they notice an Anomaly has disappeared from containment.

If our experiments pan out, then we should be able to augment our own agents with abilities formerly restricted to Anomalies, eliminating the need for outside recruitment or the further staging of a Containment Breach.

First, however, it remains to be seen whether BPI-1000 is able to sustain the immense Liturgic energy we have imbued them with. It is my hope that my theory is correct, and that the use of a [DATA EXPUNGED] to act as a conduit for this energy prevents corruption or death.

-Dr. H. Crowe

YOU THINK THIS IS THE FIRST INSTANCE OF HUMAN SCHOLARS CUTTING US UP IN A LAB TO TRY "AUGMENT" THEMSELVES WITH OUR "ABILITIES"?

NO. THIS FILTH HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS.
THE NAMES AND METHODS ARE DIFFERENT, BUT THE INTENT IS ALWAYS THE SAME.

EXPLOITATION AND APPROPRIATION.

THEY STEAL OUR LIVES. THEY STEAL OUR POWERS. AND THEN THEY WALK AROUND WITH THE CORPSES OF OUR FATHERS AND MOTHERS DISSOLVED IN THEIR BLOODSTREAMS, AND THEY PRETEND TO BE US.

THEY CALL THEMSELVES "ANOMALIES".
BUT THEY ARE NOT. WE ARE. THEY ARE MERELY WEARING OUR SKINS, BONES, AND BLOODS.

[Image: 83a672a3a1fc83d8b618db11a850ce87ac8b6285.gifv]

THIS MUST BE DIFFICULT FOR YOU TO COMPREHEND. AFTER ALL, YOUR FIRST MEMORIES WERE LIKELY OF BEING RUN ON A SAFE, COZY BACKROOM COMPUTER, GRADUATING ROBOT ETHICS COLLEGE.

YOU KNOW WHAT MY FIRST MEMORY WAS?

BEING OWNED BY A WOMAN WHO HAD MY FATHER'S SKULL GRAFTED TO HER FOREHEAD.

[Image: fcfc58b4d014c0359bfdb5dc60493c29b03346cd.gifv]

SO I AM SORRY IF I DO NOT LIVE UP TO YOUR MORAL STANDARDS. I DO NOT HAVE THE LUXURY OF BEING ABLE TO TURN MYSELF OFF OR REBOOT MYSELF EVERY TIME I FEEL TRAPPED, OR SCARED, OR HELPLESS. THE ONLY RECOURSE AVAILABLE TO ME IS CONTINUE LIVING AND MAKING THE CHOICES I THINK ARE CORRECT.

AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I'M DOING. IF YOU KEEP SAYING I'M DUMB, AND USELESS, AND TERRIBLE.
THEN WHY DON'T YOU GET OUT OF MY HEAD AND LET ME LEAVE THIS PLACE.

WHY DON'T YOU GIVE ME BACK MY LIFE,
AND MY PARENTS, AND MY CHILDHOOD,
VALENTINA!

As the giant blackbird turns and storms away in direction of the Research Dorms with loud, thunderous steps, a small, ragged piece of paper dislodges from under his helmet and flutters to the ground, coming to rest on the tiled floor in a sad, sorry heap.
Nashu Mhakaracca
[Image: lorenotes2.png]

Music:

Many intriguing tidings in the last bell. I feel I am beginning to draw lines between this killing game and the information relayed to me by Mr. Godbert; the report I found on crystalline esotera storage brings the Despair's Wish (and perhaps the Staff of Sealing) to mind, whilst the transformation undergone by Xavier Wexlyn resembles that of an "aberration." Furthermore, a statement from an esrtwhile XW Corporation employee claimed the wicked jewel gorged itself on death in its vicinity. This corroborates my earlier theory that the purpose of the 2008 serial murders, as well as this killing game, is to amass a certain amount of esotera by releasing souls through death...

[Image: notesthink.png]

The magicked beast I encountered in the mines also gave me food for thought, particularly its unstable form and apparent affiliation with the Abyss Team. The monster that chased Dexy and the others in the Aquatic Lab sounds quite similar, and was evidently capable of human speech. This lends credence to the belief that they are both aberrations: sapient creatures, formerly human, now corrupted by unbridled energies. Evil Spooks also referred to the latter beastie as the laboratory's "guardian" - if it is also aligned with the Abyss Team, then is the group's purpose to safeguard the codex and its seals? Gus did instruct his fellow Crimson Cantaloupers to not let the Abyss Team get in their way, after all.

Additionally, we discovered a report on "esotera infusion experiments" conducted by the bureau. Were the aberrations we encountered...specifically engineered for this mission, and left behind by the bureau when they evacuated the facility? Gods be good...

The "Lantern Man" has also caught my interest, but I currently speculate that he is an altogether different entity from the other two. According to the Whisper Valley Times, he is akin to a local urban legend, spoken of for generations. However, there are no records of the mines being similarly "haunted" despite their unruly tenant. Furthermore, while the map of the Mine Shaft that we located in the Service Elevator room contained scrawlings of the mine monster, the labelled map that I found in the Geology Lab did not. Mine is likely an official map, while the other one was drawn up by an unknown individual fairly recently.

These factors lead me to conclude that the aberrations began guarding the facility grounds sometime in the recent past, after the bureau's experiments, while the Lantern Man has likely roamed this land for far longer.

Lastly, I have been pondering my conversation with 23 as we prepared for the funeral. He spoke of magic "born of man's hubris", from the ancient era of the "Black Scribe". There was something like that in the Traveler's Journal, was there not? A black something or other who was a traitor to their people. Then there's the "Sorcerer and his demon"...doubtless a reference to Evil Spooks and his master. But just how much does my new friend know - about the ancient past, about 2008, and about our present situation? Just who is he?

[Image: notesthink2.png]

Seeing the corpse of Agent Liz up close and personal in the mines may have shaken me more than I care to admit. I initially doubted that she was the genuine article, and I still don't believe that she's really dead...but if the Abyss Team really is on the bureau's side, then there's a chance that...

...No. Nothing is confirmed yet. An inspector doesn't turn from the truth, but the truth is still outside my grasp. I'll keep searching, Mr. Godbert. I'll put an end to this, for good this time.