That afternoon, for humor's sake, the Board for Beef was born

It should go without saying that we didn't meet his vision
Derailing poor old Puddin's plan with meat-focused derision
We had some fun, we shared some laughs, the puns were uncontrolled,
But sure enough, before too long, the joke had gotten old

So ends the tale of how we cluttered up our index page
A gimmick which was fun at first has left its golden age
And so, to my Minusian friends, I come with one request
Please come up with other jokes, and let the Beef Board rest.
Spritanium
Well that was fast
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Fun With Despair
still better than the pointless garrison
Spritanium
Really I dunno how many different ways I can explain the point of the GG before you guys get it

You all seem extremely hung up on the "green" aspect which actually has nothing to do with it
DrTapeworm
it's the weed/luigi board and you know it
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Spritanium
It literally isn't, the entire reason it's still there is to have a board where periodically-elected members can come up with their own gimmick

Believe me, I hate truly pointless boards. Enough to write a poem about it
Yrrzy
literally every issue people have with the site ends with "no you guys just dont get it, its [thing nobody will ever see it as]"
Spritanium
This is going to be an unpopular post for some reason:

We listen to every suggestion, and when they're constructive they usually are implemented. But at the end of the day we built (and continue to build) the site with a specific goal in mind, so we're not really keen on ideas that suggest dismantling fundamental aspects of what we've created. I feel like some people here are incredibly pampered by our lax environment, to the point where they forget how difficult it is to have influence on basically any other similar website. MW is a place for all of us, but it's still primarily oriented toward the goals of the group of people who decided to get off their asses and put hours and hours into its resurrection. Do you disagree with those goals? That's unfortunate. Everybody is free to make suggestions, but just because your suggestion doesn't get implemented doesn't mean the staff is ignorant to your concerns.

Honestly, does anyone see a real problem with that? It's not like MW costs money, not for anybody except Draku. I'm really curious what makes the MW staff a bunch of bad guys when all we're doing is offering a free product that we've created the way we want it. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want everyone to be here and have a good time, but it's not like anybody is being forced to remain in an environment they have a problem with. I feel really bad that some people apparently feel grandfathered in to the new MW, but it is just that: a new MW.

Anyway, with the GG, it seems like several people really just don't have a full idea of what the board is supposed to be. Keeping the "green" gimmick was our mistake, because it was never supposed to actually mean anything. The entire reason the board survived to launch day was the "Mod for a Month" concept. Again, it was our fault for not making the purpose of the board more clear - but if everybody can agree that gimmick boards are fun, and that regular members should have as much influence as possible, then why are we still having this discussion? Please just try to realize that we don't give a shit about the board being green, we only want a cyclical gimmick board controlled by an elected moderator.
Spritanium
I hope I don't have to get out WTL's Hey Arnold vacant lot metaphor
Yrrzy
i agree w/ your points and all and the situation seems to be resolved now, its just missing the root of the issue again

if people dont see things the way you envisioned them or if things dont land the way you intended, the problem isnt with the audience, you dont need to force them to see it the way you did

instead you gotta acknowledge that thats what happened and figure out how u can better convey shit or adapt it
Spritanium
(Dec 6, 2016 at 6:59 PM)Yrr Wrote: i agree w/ your points and all and the situation seems to be resolved now, its just missing the root of the issue again

if people dont see things the way you envisioned them or if things dont land the way you intended, the problem isnt with the audience, you dont need to force them to see it the way you did

instead you gotta acknowledge that thats what happened and figure out how u can better convey shit or adapt it
This I agree with, and I'm very thankful that we have a bunch of members who are willing to be guinea pigs while we figure things out. This is what I meant by constructive suggestions - for me, the problem starts when people start saying things like "the metagame is retarded", because that's not constructive and it just makes it seem like someone wants to leave but isn't for whatever reason.
Spritanium

> nobody liked my poem

[Image: 1313162598561.jpg]
Mario
(Dec 6, 2016 at 6:21 PM)Yrr Wrote: literally every issue people have with the site ends with "no you guys just dont get it, its [thing nobody will ever see it as]"

It's fair criticism. A lot of things are done without too much thought beyond 'thats funny' or interesting or whatever and we think to just throw it out there as an experiment. The Green Garrison was kept around because it was a quirky enough thing to just have a board about the color green that someone moved it over here and Spritey even made a green skin for it. If it's overstayed its welcome, that's fine.

The 'member hosts a board' thing is something new to add additional character to the green garrison because obv its Not Enough. but it doesn't have to be part of the green garrison (could even be the ppp or another new board).

idk why we're so passionate about it. im sure even if removed the green garrison will return to us when we need it most. it's just not the hero we need right now
Two_Finger
(Dec 6, 2016 at 7:02 PM)Spritanium Wrote: for me, the problem starts when people start saying things like "the metagame is retarded", because that's not constructive and it just makes it seem like someone wants to leave but isn't for whatever reason.

Spoiler:
anyways, on topic
personally I don't think the GG should go
the gimmick is neat and interesting and I don't think it's been fully explored/used to warrant getting rid of it
[Image: GrFo47K.jpg]
T-man
(Dec 6, 2016 at 11:04 PM)Mario Wrote: It's fair criticism. A lot of things are done without too much thought beyond 'thats funny' or interesting or whatever and we think to just throw it out there as an experiment. The Green Garrison was kept around because it was a quirky enough thing to just have a board about the color green that someone moved it over here and Spritey even made a green skin for it. If it's overstayed its welcome, that's fine.

The 'member hosts a board' thing is something new to add additional character to the green garrison because obv its Not Enough. but it doesn't have to be part of the green garrison (could even be the ppp or another new board).

idk why we're so passionate about it. im sure even if removed the green garrison will return to us when we need it most. it's just not the hero we need right now

This sums up my feelings exactly. Good Sh*t

Even if the Green Garrison isn't working out, it's concept can live on just by listening to the community. Like Spritey said, we had a beef board because Puddin made a thread. If someone has a concept for a forum they can just speak up and get one.
Shroomguy
How dare you strip me of yet another position of power Spritey...

The Beef Baron has some [b]BEEF ALRIGHT[/b[
The Beef Baron
Beako
I have a beef with the Beef Board not existing anymore. Since every[Image: teehee_i_tricked_you.png] apparently got tired of Green Garrison why don't we do that one thing some[Image: teehee_i_tricked_you.png] suggested where we have a themed board that changes themes once every[Image: teehee_i_tricked_you.png] is tired of the existing theme.
kaZaam
(Dec 8, 2016 at 3:21 AM)Beako Wrote: I have a beef with the Beef Board not existing anymore. Since every[Image: teehee_i_tricked_you.png] apparently got tired of Green Garrison why don't we do that one thing some[Image: teehee_i_tricked_you.png] suggested where we have a themed board that changes themes once every[Image: teehee_i_tricked_you.png] is tired of the existing theme.
ya beef board shoulda stuck around for another week or so. decisions like this shouldnt be left up to one person anyway

also thats fuckin meta dude
Beako
(Dec 8, 2016 at 3:25 AM)SonicProject Wrote: why does everyone have a problem with additional boards on the index

it's not like it's the 90s and we're on tiny monitors and it takes ages to scroll past forums you're not interested in

well... it's not like all of us are on tiny monitors
Because people who wanted the themed boards removed hate fun. It reminds me of Trump supporters, totally gross. (Surely this amount of epic shame will persuade the staff to bring back the themed boards.)
Beako
(I'm actually not that invested in it I just personally prefer the idea of having a themed board that changes once in a while than having nothing at all.)