Yrrzy
i mean you wrote 2 essays based on the title of the thread alone
Spritanium
Sometimes people are able to write a lot without being overtaken by emotions
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
(Jan 2, 2017 at 5:47 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Sometimes people are able to write a lot without being overtaken by emotions
nuh uh
Spritanium
I guess I'm just confused as to what your guys' ideal solution for this is. Detain smokers in their own homes, or just keep raising the price through the roof? You don't see a problem with a government selectively + artificially increasing the price of certain products to discourage their use? What if the price of alcohol was doubled tomorrow? Oh wait, I forgot...alcohol doesn't smell, and that's what this is really about.

P.S. do any of you guys know where I can go to get a good secondhand nicotine rush
T-man
I feel like we've done all we can about smoking. You practically can't do it anywhere anymore, now it's just kicking 'em while they're down.
Yrrzy
tl;dr dont do shit that makes people physically uncomfortable

we all pretty much agreed that smoking outdoors in like a park or smth is fine but smoking indoors or in close proximity to someone is a little bit of a dick move
Yrrzy
like if someone found the smell of soda physically distressing i wouldnt drink soda around them its not hard
Spritanium
If someone found the smell of soda physically distressing I would laugh at them until they left me alone to drink my soda

You have a home, and it's not out in the public. Go there and you can avoid cigarette smoke, or soda smell, or people blinking at you wrong, with 100% success
Yrrzy
you sound like a nice person
Spritanium
Does anyone ever think it's weird how alcohol is demonstrably more dangerous than cigarettes (show me a DWI caused by a nicotine high) but you can still have TV commercials about alcohol as long as you say "please drink responsibly" at the end? What about "please smoke responsibly"? Why can't tobacco companies advertise their product? The government (in my country at least) is actively working toward shaming and debilitating a group of people in order to get them to change their behavior. That's not good, it's fucking creepy.

In all seriousness, we can all agree that smoking right next to a stranger is a dick move. That's not the issue. The issue is that, as @Puddin described, smokers can't even smoke in designated areas anymore without people obnoxiously coughing at them. They are a stigmatized, demonized people, and it isn't fair.

(Jan 2, 2017 at 6:03 PM)Yrr Wrote: you sound like a nice person
I'm a nice person to people I'm compatible with. I'm not compatible with your hypothetical snowflake who is distressed by the smell of Dr Pepper.
DrTapeworm
shouldn't you be off stealing all the fun and music from mobius right now
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Yrrzy
i dont think anyone would have a problem if everyone switched to like nicotine vaping or smth

just something that eliminated any concerns around second-hand smoke
T-man
people cant vape because the people that do are so lame about it

[Image: iCwFQS2.gif]
Spritanium
I'd highly suggest everyone who smokes cigarettes try vaping instead, it's incredibly less detrimental to your health and it's less annoying to others as well. That said, I can't control others and I'm not losing sleep over the potential that I might inadvertently inhale a grand total of 1.5 cigs' worth of tobacco smoke throughout my entire life

I mean, shame people all you want. Make them feel bad for smoking near you. That's your right. When the shaming becomes backed by the government, that's a huge problem
Yrrzy
i mean even if you believe the health concerns of second-hand smoke are fictional then it still comes from the same kind of place as noise laws and public disturbance
Spritanium
That's a good point, but I feel like both of those things are much harder to get away from than cigarette smoke.

If it's midnight on Sunday, you have work in the morning, and someone is blasting music next door, you can't escape that. That's why I sort of get the bus stop thing, since you can't just miss your bus because someone is smoking. There are just so many smoking laws that are clearly geared not toward protecting the public from annoyance, but toward dismantling an entire industry.
Draku
(Jan 2, 2017 at 6:09 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Does anyone ever think it's weird how alcohol is demonstrably more dangerous than cigarettes (show me a DWI caused by a nicotine high) but you can still have TV commercials about alcohol as long as you say "please drink responsibly" at the end? What about "please smoke responsibly"? Why can't tobacco companies advertise their product?
yeah alcohol is bullshit and harms people around the drinker far more drastically and tangibly than cigarettes ever could. i don't like the double standard of sorts either.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Spritanium
The hypocrisy reaches its peak with CVS. "We are a pharmacy, we shouldn't be selling cigarettes. Instead we'll provide resources to help people quit". Very noble, too bad they still have an entire aisle dedicated to hard liquor.
T-man
(Jan 2, 2017 at 7:47 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Very noble, too bad they still have an entire aisle dedicated to hard liquor.
i wish we had your cvs
kaZaam
so are we done pretending this was ever about health
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]