Puddin mentioned you in "you all destroyed my mind forever i hope you're happy".

T-man
(Jan 5, 2017 at 12:13 AM)Yrr Wrote: lotta people have personal history with slurs like that tho

this
Mario
FUCK
Beako
I thought that was gonna be that one home equity loan commercial or w/e where the person says he's crazy like a fox.

Was that real or did I just dream about that commercial existing?
Beako

>couldn't be arsed to find it

You would've posted it if you could? Great minds think alike Blush
Mario
anyone else remember the sinbad genie movie
kaZaam
(Jan 5, 2017 at 12:45 AM)Mario Wrote: what the fuck happened to my thread

why are you surprised anymore
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Mario
(Jan 5, 2017 at 12:50 AM)Kazaam Wrote:

why are you surprised anymore

it's roleplaying
Mario
(Jan 5, 2017 at 12:50 AM)Pedigree Wrote:
(Jan 5, 2017 at 12:48 AM)Mario Wrote: anyone else remember the sinbad genie movie

Shazam?

vaguely

This is far and away the biggest ME for me personally, there is nothing else like it that I have learned of so far - in that, it is not a simple misspelling, physical trait in a logo design, misquoted line of dialogue, or anything else that can be rationally explained...It has been erased from existence!

Even the people involved like Sinbad himself claim there is no such thing yet everyone I talk to remembers it in some fashion (if their old enough to hit the demographic).

So, I was taught very well how to debate things and the primary lesson in debate tactics is being able to take any side of the issue and still win (this shouldn't be about winning - but that's how debate teams work).

The first thing I will tell you is that this is a very real thing, but I am going to start by deliberately trying to dismantle my own argument...here it goes:
  • Sinbad himself states that he never was involved in a movie where he played a genie
  • The cover/movie poster of the 1995 movie "Houseguest" has his head coming out of a mailbox on the left hand side which to some, might subconsciously be remembered as a genie coming out of a bottle
  • Sinbad always dressed with incredibly bad fashion sense that kind of portrayed him as "genie like" or the ever adventurous "Sinbad the Sailor" intentionally
  • There was another movie called "Kazaam!" staring Shaquille O' Neil that came out in 1995 where Shaq played a genie that helped out a lonely boy
  • The movie was never widely released, so maybe people are confusing it with a comedy sketch he performed instead of actually seeing a movie - they just heard other people talking about it and assumed it was a real movie without ever actually seeing it themselves.

I think that pretty much covers that side of the debate - now my turn:
  • I managed a Video Store back in the "heyday" of the video rental business and was responsible, with my uncle (he was the owner - I owned/managed and dealt primarily with the videogame side) for ordering the upcoming "New Release Titles for rental as they became available
  • I took it upon myself to order two copies of the Sinbad genie movie without consulting with him first because they were such a great deal at half the price of a normal "New Release" back in 1994
  • In fact, I ordered the second one in a bundle with another movie which I think may have been "Invisible Mom" with Dee Wallace Stone and written by W.C, Martell, but am not sure this was the title - but the logo of the Production Studio was similar
  • The cover had the word "Sinbad" in font bigger than the Title and had Sinbad facing left with a kind of raised eyebrow and his arms crossed facing in side profile to the left
  • The movie was actually a children's movie and not an adult audience oriented Comedy, which led to a lot of returns to the store with people saying "there is something wrong with this tape" - which to my chagrin, led me to having to watch the movie to find the supposed damaged portion of the film multiple times (honestly, I always thought these people just wanted a free rental)
  • I can't remember the Title - but it seems like it was one word
  • The movie only had one funny scene in it (at least to me) and it went like this:
  • The lamp is rubbed for the first time by two kids - an early teen boy, and his little sister who looks to be around 5 years old or so in their living room by the fireplace while their single dad is out of the house running an errand - the boy rubs the lamp and "Sinbad" appears with full genie attire...turban, ridiculous spiral upturned shoes, ear rings, silk pants and shirt, and I believe a green/blue vest but can't say for sure.
  • Sinbad stretches his arms out wide in the smoke filled room and says something like "I am the genie of the lamp" and the kids freak out! The little girl screams out "Aaaaagh! It's a kidnapper!" - or something like that as they run away
  • After Sinbad calms them down, he explains that for releasing him from the lamp they will be granted three wishes and the boy is skeptical and wishes for something stupid that flew...either a flying skateboard or magic carpet - but I'm leaning more towards the carpet
  • The wish is granted and the kids are amazed! and agree amongst themselves to use the other wishes on something special and important - the little girl asks for her mother back and Sinbad shows his tender, emotional side by saying "I'm afraid I can't do that" (not sure if this was because the mom had died, or the parents were separated and he couldn't make people love each other - this is 22 years ago after all)
  • So after agreeing to save the last two wishes, and save one to bring a wife (or their old mom) to help out their lonely, depressed dad - the girl breaks her favorite doll and wastes a wish having the genie fix it - shortly after, the boy comes up with an idea for the second wish and the girl has to tell him that she already used it...
  • So, with one wish left, the climax of the movie takes place at a pool party involving the Dad, his Boss, and a bunch of clients
  • During this scene a film technique is used similar to that used in "The gods must be crazy" where the speed is intentionally sped up to make things look more "cartoon like and funny" - but it ended up just looking stupid and lame. And this is where the wished for "flying thing (I think carpet)" appears and knocks a bunch of people into the pool - which includes the mean Boss
  • they have some kind of happy ending, but honestly - I just was looking for the reported "problem with the tape"...it wasn't a good movie at all and except for that scene where the genie appears, wasn't funny at all
  • When my uncle sold the store years later, he specifically pointed at those two tapes I ordered and said " I hate that @#$*ing movie - it never even paid for itself after all these years!

So there you have the gist of it, if you can tell me another movie that has two kids and a genie that looks like Sinbad or where one of the wishes is fixing the doll, I'd love to hear about it.

Please, please, PLEASE! don't even bring the Shaq movie in to this conversation - I can't emphasize enough that it has absolutely nothing to do with this movie...

Here is a box cover recreation:

[Image: Sinbad%20genie%20poster%20recreation%20final_1.jpg]

Edit: Box cover recreation
kaZaam
GOAT
Beako
(Jan 5, 2017 at 12:58 AM)Pedigree Wrote: oh shit is Shazam Shaq's movie

god damn me and my white-ass brain

Kazaam was a COMPLETELY different movie but the Sinbad movie seems to have vanished from historical existence. Imagine if A Bug's Life suddenly vanished from history and whenever you tried to ask people about it they said "oh, you mean Antz?"
Mario
(Jan 5, 2017 at 12:58 AM)Pedigree Wrote: oh shit is Shazam Shaq's movie

god damn me and my white-ass brain

the shaq movie is called Kazaam. Shazaam! is what Billy Batson says to turn into Captain Marvel.
kaZaam
kesh are you trying to get me to change my un
Mario
(Jan 5, 2017 at 1:03 AM)Kazaam Wrote: kesh are you trying to get me to change my un

I like your username
kaZaam
damn str9
T-man
(Jan 5, 2017 at 1:06 AM)Mario Wrote:
(Jan 5, 2017 at 1:03 AM)Kazaam Wrote: kesh are you trying to get me to change my un

I like your username

this is the most important post on minus world
Two_Finger

you made it
[Image: GrFo47K.jpg]
T-man
(Jan 5, 2017 at 1:07 AM)Two_Finger Wrote:

you made it

i like how we're not all "get back on topic >:("
Mario
I decided on a better topic
Mario
here's the article that intorcuced me to the idea that the sinbad genie movie doesn't exist: http://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech...nk-it-does. ive talked it up with renzo and we both think it existed but its possible our memories are just mixing up a bunch of things that somehow became the sinbad genie movie. apparently he played a genie on All That once? idk its pretty weird
Mario
one detail thats just weird to me is htat i remember when kazaam was coming out thinking like 'wow didnt sinbad just do this same movie?' but also i would have been like 5 at the time so idk if thats a real memory or not either