Games you like, Sequels you don't

DragonFreak
(Jan 13, 2017 at 10:12 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: I actually really didn't like OoT as a kid. At all. Weird opinion, but even now I still don't really like it at all compared to ALttP and MM afterwards.
I think that OoT is an ok game. Which to me is like a 5.5-6/10. HOWEVER, there are so many great and amazing Zelda games that a 5.5 is trash compared to the best of the best Zeldas. So yeah I totally get you.

I think the most questionable opinion of sequels that I don't think is good is Bowser's Inside Story. I absolutely loved Superstar Saga and it's a near perfect game. I say near perfect cause Joke's End exists and YMMV but the game can be easily broken. But I was super hyped to play this game, but it ended up...bland. I mean Bowser's dialogue was the best performance of Bowser ever to date and maybe even ever will, but witty dialogue can only go so far with largely uninteresting gameplay. It's kind of a shame really.
Fun With Despair
(Jan 23, 2017 at 4:48 AM)DragonFreak Wrote:
(Jan 13, 2017 at 10:12 PM)Fun With Despair Wrote: I actually really didn't like OoT as a kid. At all. Weird opinion, but even now I still don't really like it at all compared to ALttP and MM afterwards.
I think that OoT is an ok game. Which to me is like a 5.5-6/10. HOWEVER, there are so many great and amazing Zelda games that a 5.5 is trash compared to the best of the best Zeldas. So yeah I totally get you.

I think the most questionable opinion of sequels that I don't think is good is Bowser's Inside Story. I absolutely loved Superstar Saga and it's a near perfect game. I say near perfect cause Joke's End exists and YMMV but the game can be easily broken. But I was super hyped to play this game, but it ended up...bland. I mean Bowser's dialogue was the best performance of Bowser ever to date and maybe even ever will, but witty dialogue can only go so far with largely uninteresting gameplay. It's kind of a shame really.
real talk, the shitty sidescroller elements killed both this game and Dream Team for me, which is sad as fuck because I really do like the series and the core gameplay

I still think PiT is worse though.
kaZaam
ocarina still does the most right out of all the 3d zeldas. wind waker by far does the most wrong but everyone loves it cus "its cute" or something

but yea ive alw preferred link to the past or oracle of seasons to p much all the 3d zeldas
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
DragonFreak
(Jan 23, 2017 at 4:50 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Jan 23, 2017 at 4:48 AM)DragonFreak Wrote:

real talk, the shitty sidescroller elements killed both this game and Dream Team for me, which is sad as fuck because I really do like the series and the core gameplay

Oh yeah the sidescroller elements are just bad. I've only seen that element work in one RPG and that's LISA the Painful. I've never played Dream Team yet but I probably don't want to.

Also I was hyped for PiT too, but that didn't turn out to well either despite me loving the concept.

Man the M&L series just completely misses after Superstar Saga which is really truly a shame. I know I just said that about BiS, but I can't get over how you can start with an amazing game and just plummet immediately.
Fun With Despair
(Jan 23, 2017 at 4:56 AM)KZ Wrote: ocarina still does the most right out of all the 3d zeldas. wind waker by far does the most wrong but everyone loves it cus "its cute" or something

but yea ive alw preferred link to the past or oracle of seasons to p much all the 3d zeldas
I think MM does the most right tbh. I'd take an interesting, dungeonlike overworld over a bland shitty overworld and more real dungeons. Plus it has the most playstyle variety of all the 3d games I feel.

WW has a shitload of sidequests which is why most people like it.

(Jan 23, 2017 at 4:57 AM)DragonFreak Wrote:
(Jan 23, 2017 at 4:50 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Jan 23, 2017 at 4:48 AM)DragonFreak Wrote: I think that OoT is an ok game. Which to me is like a 5.5-6/10. HOWEVER, there are so many great and amazing Zelda games that a 5.5 is trash compared to the best of the best Zeldas. So yeah I totally get you.

Oh yeah the sidescroller elements are just bad. I've only seen that element work in one RPG and that's LISA the Painful. I've never played Dream Team yet but I probably don't want to.

Also I was hyped for PiT too, but that didn't turn out to well either despite me loving the concept.

Man the M&L series just completely misses after Superstar Saga which is really truly a shame. I know I just said that about BiS, but I can't get over how you can start with an amazing game and just plummet immediately.

dream team does it better tbh, but has too many tutorials
kaZaam
yyyea majora's def the most creative both in setting and w the mechanics n all that. i just find ocarina more accessible and think its got better dungeon design (that thing everyone just ignores when talking abt wind waker)

not sure why anyone would care abt the sidequests in ww when there's like nothing valuable to earn from them. the whole second half of the game is a shitty sidequest anyway why does it need more
Fun With Despair
(Jan 23, 2017 at 9:00 AM)Pedigree Wrote: >complaining about any Mario & Luigi sequel without mentioning Paper Jam
did anyone even play paper jam

I know I didn't
Revolver Ocelot
Paper Jam is pretty underwhelming, which is a shame

And I'm one of the few people who thinks Dream Team was the best one of the series, but I'm probably weird considering I hated the Giant Bowser fights in BIS but found the Giant Luigi fights entertaining
You're pretty good.
🍆 Lover
Paper Jam is fucking awesome what are you talking about

Sure, the giant papercraft battles were shit and finding the paper Toads got a bit boring eventually, but the core game was great.
[Image: diwiue.png]

still a cuck tho
DrTapeworm
does DLC count or not because i love binding of isaac but the newest dlc for rebirth (afterbirth+) kind of stinks.

there's a ton of new items that are just totally redundant or useless. one of the lost's new unlocks is literally just a range+luck up.

the dark prince's crown gives you a stats up when at exactly one red heart of health; literally any other amount of health, even less than one red heart, will not give you the effect, essentially making it a shittier whore of babylon.

the new enemies are all variants of existing enemies that have a high chance of replacing existing enemies. this leads to awkward situations such as those meatball guys in the womb turning into mushrooms on death, or ultra greed spawning blister spiders.

there are new challenges that seem expertly crafted to be as unfairly difficult as possible and leave you at the mercy of the rng

the new floor and associated true final boss are a big letdown because the new floor just draws from the room layouts of all the other areas in the game and the final boss' whole gimmick is that it turns into bosses you've already fought, but soaked in jizz. it's also poorly coded enough that it can end up cloning itself, teleporting on top of you for unavoidable damage, and sometimes it just turns into a regular enemy and the fight immediately ends

on a related note, there are now monster spawners as common enemy spawns throughout the game, because why go to the effort of carefully placing enemies when you can just let the game do it for you randomly? this is further complicated by the addition of an invincible enemy that is both fast, chases you and shoves you around, and defends the other enemies with its fat fuck body

the lua modding tools are extremely poorly documented. the basic function for making something shoot projectiles is broken. you can't make new floors or sounds or music, only replace (that being said, what little quality mods available are also really really good)

to top it all off, Champion Rag Man
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Solar Werecat
After beating Mega Man Battle Network 2 I just couldn't get into 3. The removal of the ability to carry more than one Style was one thing, but the Navi Customizer system being painfully shoehorned into story progression was another; "Stop what you're doing to farm Heat Chips to progress, now do the same with Aqua Chips" It's the only Battle Network game I've played where I stopped playing out of boredom instead of inability to get further.
Kirby's Adventure
I like Partners in Time.

Zelda 1 and 2 to ALTTP. I just can't get into the game. ALBW is fantastic though.
Pea
(Jan 29, 2017 at 8:28 AM)DrTapeworm Wrote: binding of isaac afterbirth+
im surprised you didnt mention the achievement where you have to do 31 dailies in a row
Yea, on that note every zelda before oot includin handhelds; not my shit.

especially not lttp. jesus what a boring game to me
BUT thread related a link between worlds is dope
kaZaam
haven't touched link between worlds but from what ive seen and heard it just sounds like the same novelty lttp introduced with a couple neat gimmicks thrown in. i dont see how you could call lttp boring without also hating p much every other zelda tbh
you're talking to someone whose first zelda was oot. it's not even a 2-D vs 3-D thing because minish cap was great(especially coming off the wind waker wave kind of), link's awakening is great, the DS zeldas are fun too, and they're still top down versus full blown 3-D.

but link to the past just feels so...soulless. Yes I got to the dark world where you're a fucking rabbit for some reason, yes some of the music was okay but it was just boring in my opinion. I can't really criticize the game itself because like you said it is the typical zelda game to a T but coming from all these other great games and going back. really not seeing why everyone loves it so much
kaZaam
bunny link is great frig off w that shit

i think zeldas core (its gameplay) is what makes it work so well as a series and like you said lttp is zelda's core to a t. as in its one of the only games with a strict focus on gameplay and not idk music (which is also esp good in lttp wtf) or Not Turning Into A Bunny or whatever weird reasons other ppl like zelda.

i think the reason im so critical of shit like wind waker is because it's so explicitly style over substance in contrast to something like lttp. but i guess its on me for wanting gameplay to matter most in a game lol
I mean just because it's zelda at it's core doesn't mean everyone is going to like it. Alttp is 2-D zelda at its core to me. Very bare bones, straight up go here, go there, boom boom, kill ganon, which is fine and I can see WHY you'd like that. It's the little gimmicks and shit a long the way that they added to refine the formula(or spice up) and make it better that makes it more enjoyable to me which is why to me every 2-D zelda after that I enjoy to some degree and why Albw is so much better.

We can go on and on about this though if you want, because the music defintely is not shit compared to later entries except OoT(which had a lacking ost imo save for a few tracks).
sagg
(Jan 13, 2017 at 7:46 AM)Vertette Wrote: Mass Effect

ME2 was mildly disappointing compared to the first. Instead of fixing what didn't work in the first one, they just removed it, and the writing took a hit. Then ME3 came out and I don't even need to elaborate, do I?

Agreeing with you 100%. The lore that was set up in ME1 was so neat and exciting, then it was dumbed down in ME2 although still enjoyable. I also really liked the team combat system of ME1 a lot and it was so saddening to see it removed.