Spritanium
I've been meaning to update the rally gain/decay rate forever now, as it's way too slow to gain and quick to lose. Before we make another change though I'd like to hear from our most active posters to see what the general consensus is regarding rally. What should be the rate of gain/decay in your opinion?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pedigree
Rally should scale with forum activity. If the forum is inactive, rally should decay slower and if it is active it should decay faster.
Spritanium
The decay hasn't been time-based for awhile now so I don't think activity is really a necessary metric anymore
Pedigree
well it should decay even slower when the forum is inactive

I shouldn't be penalized when they're no posts to cast spells on.

also I don't know what time has to do with making rally decay scale with forum activity, I've been losing rally either way
Spritanium
But it only decays per EX received, so doesn't that mean it scales based on activity anyway? If you don't earn any EX (either from actions you do yourself or from other people) then your rally doesn't decay at all. I think the problem is that the gain rate is just incredibly too low
Pedigree
So I lose rally for posting on an otherwise inactive forum. Doesn't that seem like a shitty way to do it to you?
Pedigree
If I lose rally simply by posting and there are very few posts by other people to make use of rally on, doesn't that seem counter-productive and doesn't that mean the best strat is not to post at all when the forum is inactive?
Spritanium
Hmm I see your point, but how do we gauge activity as a number?
Spritanium
Another interesting approach might be to remove the EX gain from making new threads/posts, but instead add to the poster's rally

I actually kind of like this idea a lot because it makes it so you have to make good posts to see any benefit (a high rally is no good if nobody good sh*ts you)
Fun With Despair
Honestly the decay is fine. When I pop a rally up, I notice the effects. However it's way too hard to reach that point. I made a big post about this a while back but I will try to repeat it.

From a balance and gameplay standpoint, high numbers make people feel great. It's satisfying to see any stat jump up by a lot. However, too many high numbers can break the game badly, hence stupid shit like Rally X.

So what should be done? Well actually, the rapid decay rate combined with the relatively useless nature of levels these days allows us to work fairly well with this. If you were to simply double or triple Rally gain while keeping the decay rate the same, people would actually begin seeing returns on spells and casting more as a result.

Rally is shit not because of the per-gain decay rate, but because it's a fucking chore to get and is in no way worth it. Stuff like the Rally Up makes you really notice this when you use one.

Just increase gain. That's all you need.
Draku
(Mar 8, 2017 at 5:57 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Another interesting approach might be to remove the EX gain from making new threads/posts, but instead add to the poster's rally

I actually kind of like this idea a lot because it makes it so you have to make good posts to see any benefit (a high rally is no good if nobody good sh*ts you)
this is a good idea, i like it a lot.

the decay is fine imo but the rate of gain is total shit atm especially with everyone being high levelled already thanks to shenanigans. so basically what fwd already said before i saw this thread
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Pedigree
I do have to agree that the terrible rate for rally gain may be what makes the decay feel so bad.
Agastya
it is absolutely due to the decay

also there should just be a flat +1 ex gained when your rally is above 1.00 just because ex gained from the 1.01~1.19 zone drains rally and doesn't actually reward you in any way
Agastya
https://minus.world/showthread.php?tid=1832 also im just gonna bring this thread up again while this discussion is active because while that particular thread isnt active anymore, this discussion was had in it so its worth reviewing
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Fun With Despair
Oh hey that's where I made my good post.

Nice.
Spritanium
Changed rally gain to this for the time being

Code:
if ($level > 50 && $rally > (5-($level-4)*0.26)) {
        $new_rally = $rally + ($cost / (1000 + ($level * 120)));
    } else {
        $new_rally = $rally + ($cost / (400 + ($level * 40)));
    }
Fun With Despair
truly, making things give even less rally was an amazing idea

you have saved this board, spritey
Spritanium
That's the opposite of what I did?
Fun With Despair
(Mar 10, 2017 at 4:22 AM)Spritanium Wrote: That's the opposite of what I did?
[Image: OQJN0DZ.png]

>0.01x

yes my cache is cleared
Spritanium
You are mistaken. This is the difference between two days ago and yesterday:

[Image: 1Kz3Daq.png]

There is no conceivable way you could be getting less rally now than you were before, it's either higher than it was or completely unchanged, but if you still don't like it then somebody please give me a better formula to use. I asked for this several times before