kaZaam
backfire automatically donates some of ur xp to whoever made the spell ur trying to get rid of. gives more the lower your chance is. mayb eben send them a notif like "x tried to counter a spell you cast here". works as a perf inverse cause it gives them gr8r opportunity to fuck w you
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Draku
(Jul 21, 2016 at 4:02 AM)Kazaam Wrote: also just had an idea user-based spells where like you can keep someone else from using spells for a while for a dickton of xp or something
Yeah I pitched this a while back as a very costly and high level spell. Breaks both your and the person chosen's EXP meters and ability to cast for a period of time.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yrrzy
i rly dont like the spells that make it hard to read the post
Spritanium
All part of the strategy. If everyone has the ability to affect everyone else's posts, we've achieved true Minus World authority equilibrium
Spritanium
Also I like the balancing we've done. All the current spells (except Vertigo) are either temporary or provide a fair method for removal, but like I said, part of the appeal is that you have the power to express disdain over others' posts in a fun, controlled manner
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
cant wait to use vertigo on someone's long serious post to kill discussion
Spritanium
Three trivially easy ways to read it:

* Quote the post, or view it from literally anywhere other than the actual thread
* Copy the text and paste it in a text editor
* Right click, inspect element, and uncheck the CSS transform

That said, Vertigo should probably be able to be temporarily flipped as discussed above. But it will also cost at least 300 EXP in practice, so I'd almost say it's a good reward for activity to be able to contribute to the killing of a discussion

But that's also why I think spells should be disabled in Life Chat, Help, and Art, because in the other forums people will be able to take a joke better. All the "serious" posts (apart from meta-related ones) are contained within those three forums, everything else is more or less expendable imo.
kaZaam
(Jul 21, 2016 at 2:54 PM)Yrr Wrote: cant wait to use vertigo on someone's long serious post to kill discussion

i dont think spells are going to be used like that considering how much responsibility you take over them and i dont think anybody here's that adamant abt fucking with eachother anyway, just sounds awkward.

i did say that vertigo was op tho. kesha's idea of having to manually flip it was p funny
kaZaam
also yyyea i dont like the idea of spells being used for disdain. i thought they were just supposed to be funny or to accentuate them
Spritanium
They are supposed to be funny, but the salty ones also serve as a humorous sort of passive-aggressive way to let go of bad vibes. With the knockback EXP, you can exercise a moment of power over someone's post while simultaneously giving them a gift, sort of like a "no hard feelings". I imagine some instances where people would start an argument over something stupid will be Quelled by a Spell (copyright pending)

Of course some people will have a blast getting in spell wars back and forth between two users. Just a different playing style.

I mean this is how it works ideally, in practice there will be people who get Mad over spells, which is why we've included the option to disable both casting and receiving them.

But disdain is a natural part of being in a community, and usually people are just punished for it. I think it's an interesting idea to be able to express your misgivings in a controlled way without starting an argument.
Mario
[deleted]
kaZaam
i think its an inevitability that using spells to get back at someone in an argument is prob just gonna cause more argument, not less. but like i said i dont think ppl are gonna treat spells like that anyway cause of how awkwardly passive-aggressive it is and how much more shit it'd stir so im not like worried about spells in general or anything. just dont think disdain should be a point of them cause i think it gives off the wrong impression. like we alr have reactions to express non-awkward/non-shit-stirring passive-aggressive disdain ffs
T-man
I don't think users should be able to disable spells on individual posts, the only control users should have over recieving spells is to disable them entirely.

I also don't see the point in disabling spells on certain boards, even the more serious Life Chat. I feel like that undermines the work you put into them.

Disabling spells on announcements and shit like that was a given to me, so I have no issue there.

If we're going to have spells with permanent durations, we need a way to counter them. Perhaps you can pay double the initial price of the spell to have it removed.

Besides all that I feel that spells have been on-point.
T-man
Also, it's unfortunate, but I feel like Vertigo is the only egregious spell of the bunch. Everything else has some sort of interactivity to have a little fun with, like peeling off Autocorrected words, using the magnifying glass with Size Matters, wiping off ink with Whoops, etc.

I don't know what can be done to make it better though.
kaZaam
implement kesha's idea
T-man
There needs to be a Mod-only Spell for protecting posts from Spells

SPELLBLOCK PLUS - 0 EXP
Prevent this post from having a spell cast on it indefinitely.
kaZaam
(Jul 21, 2016 at 8:27 PM)T-man Wrote: SPELLBLOCK PLUS
lmao
Aidan
(Jul 21, 2016 at 8:21 PM)T-man Wrote: Also, it's unfortunate, but I feel like Vertigo is the only egregious spell of the bunch. Everything else has some sort of interactivity to have a little fun with, like peeling off Autocorrected words, using the magnifying glass with Size Matters, wiping off ink with Whoops, etc.

I don't know what can be done to make it better though.

i wonder if we could make it so 1 xp = 1 degree of rotation
so if the post is upside-down you can spend another 180 to set it back to normal

prob too much trouble to implement
Draku
I was thinking we can implement Kesha's idea, but another user has to spend some smaller amount of XP to make the steering wheel appear that can be used to tilt the post back to normal for everyone else. Since you get kickback XP this would be more or less free for the person that had it cast on them, but someone else could see it and wish to fix it for everyone else too.

That keeps it strong for the caster for the sake of the cost but also gives it a countermeasure.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Two_Finger
(Jul 21, 2016 at 9:14 PM)Draku Wrote: I was thinking we can implement Kesha's idea, but another user has to spend some smaller amount of XP to make the steering wheel appear that can be used to tilt the post back to normal for everyone else. Since you get kickback XP this would be more or less free for the person that had it cast on them, but someone else could see it and wish to fix it for everyone else too.

That keeps it strong for the caster for the sake of the cost but also gives it a countermeasure.

I really like this one