Sonic Mania (Fans shit all over Sega)

Pedigree

There are some strange glitches and the Switch menu doesn't come up as responsively with this game but I am loving the game so far, otherwise
Syaxamaphone
I'm going to get it when I get home this evening. I'm p stoked.
[Image: NZRK1uk.gif]
Fun With Despair
basically this game is fucking great
T-man
This game is truly something special, I've been playing nonstop since I got it yesterday. Finally got all seven Chaos Emeralds on my main save. Despite being occasionally frustrating, I really enjoyed the special stages.

I think Mirage Saloon Zone is my favorite new zone, I'm just a bit disappointed it's first act is a sky chase for Sonic and Tails. Apparently Knuckles has a different first act, which is pretty cool.
Draku
got all the emeralds and beat the game with sonic, literally cannot progress in the knuckles playthrough because the second major boss softlocks me when i beat it no matter what. lol

great fucking game, absolutely loved virtually every zone which is a miracle for a sonic game. the sheer amount of gameplay throwbacks is amazing, other types of throwbacks are an even longer list. really fantastic celebration of sonic, the only downfall is that some of the bosses kind of blow for one reason or another. at least the other bosses tend to be more than good enough to offset that overall. definitely the best classic sonic package out there though, since there are absolutely no bad zones to be found despite them all being a good length and there being a huge number of them, unlike a playthrough of sonic 2 or sonic 3 & knuckles might net you. i'm looking at you marble garden.

the extra boss is especially bad. like c'mon doomsday was actually hard and had its own unique mechanics and shit and they just throw you into a fight that you're far better off just playing as super sonic on the ground for and repeatedly hitting enemies that barely retaliate because they expect you to actually use the garbage flying that eats all of your rings?

special stages are really well hidden this time around. like REALLY well hidden. i almost wouldn't believe you if you told me that there's 2 in each act if i hadn't already proven that to myself. the special stages themselves i absolutely hated at first but now that i know how to play them properly they're pretty aight. very different. could probably control a bit better though, the gimmick being that they control horribly for the sake of difficulty is kind of silly.

also crush deaths are still the worst part of the game go figure.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Poxni
(Aug 16, 2017 at 6:35 AM)T-man Wrote: I think Mirage Saloon Zone is my favorite new zone, I'm just a bit disappointed it's first act is a sky chase for Sonic and Tails. Apparently Knuckles has a different first act, which is pretty cool.
Knuckles' version is catered to his abilities and is a lot more fun. Hard not to be better than Sky Chase tho
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
Briraka
read spoilers about the game's ending and...
Spoiler:
Syaxamaphone
I'm about 6 zones in and while I'm not a fan of them still doing all the annoying shit classic sonic is known for, its still a really good experience. Bosses are a little dull sometimes.

I can absolutely see why people wouldn't like this game tho because fuck classic Sonic sometimes.
Pedigree
(Aug 16, 2017 at 1:17 PM)Briraka Wrote: read spoilers about the game's ending and...
Spoiler:

There is nothing wrong with that ending.

Spoiler:
T-man

>Reserving judgement until you've played Forces

No thanks, Forces looks like shit and doubles down on everything wrong with Sonic. Even if the gameplay is God's gift to mankind (It's not) you still are treated to near ceaseless radio chatter from the expanded cast. Another thing completely unappealing about Forces is the tone, It's like Sonic Team actually read letters from 12 year old fans and took it to heart instead of tossing them in the trash. The edgy "END OF THE WORLD!!!1!" scenarios was an element I was happy to see dissolve from the latest Somic games, but unfortunately it seems to be back in full force. I also hate how they brought back Classic Sonic, it screams of desperation and they're using him as a crutch because it worked last time.
Syaxamaphone
(Aug 16, 2017 at 5:02 PM)T-man Wrote: in full force.

Grin I see what you did there
Briraka
(Aug 16, 2017 at 4:37 PM)Pedigree Wrote: There is nothing wrong with that ending.

Spoiler:

forces is shaping up to be the most design-by-committee installment yet so far. everything included is basically intended to pander to every part of a fandom so forcefully that it has no real identity of it's own.

maybe if it gets good enough word of mouth, then i MIGHT consider playing it for myself. otherwise, i'm just going to stick to my guns and not support what i think is a shit game.
Poxni
(Aug 16, 2017 at 8:13 PM)Briraka Wrote:
(Aug 16, 2017 at 4:37 PM)Pedigree Wrote: There is nothing wrong with that ending.

Spoiler:

forces is shaping up to be the most design-by-committee installment yet so far. everything included is basically intended to pander to every part of a fandom so forcefully that it has no real identity of it's own.

maybe if it gets good enough word of mouth, then i MIGHT consider playing it for myself. otherwise, i'm just going to stick to my guns and not support what i think is a shit game.
honestly this is why forces looks boring to me. it's mostly just another, seemingly even blander generations which already tbh wasn't that great a game.
Pedigree
So then, ignore the True Ending and stick to playing Sonic Mania until you get bored of it? I don't get why you gotta talk shit about people who might be interested in Forces like that, T-man. A middle of the road comment suggesting you don't know enough about the game to take a shit on it (which you don't, all we've gotten in is an early, tiny demo and some story teasers) shouldn't receive such a negative response.

It's not like Sonic Forces' existence is going to ruin Sonic Mania, ffs.

I don't get why Mania elitists have to talk shit about Forces players. I won't blame SEGA for trying to appeal to both Genesis and Adventure crowds. I happen to like both so I get shit on from both sides and it's kinda annoying.

Why can't we have both? What is the harm? If the mere existence of a game is problematic for you, T-man, you've got deeper issues.
T-man

>harshly complain about something on the internet of all places

>um you've got deep issues!!

Thanks for the diagnosis, doc.

Also I'm an Adventure baby and Forces does not appeal to me. It's direction is something right out of internet exaggeration, except it's real life.
Draku
The issue with Forces is that despite Mania's existence it shows that Sonic Team is still dreadfully out of touch with every crowd they're trying to appeal to.

Also the "Classic" Sonic gameplay is going to be fucking embarrassing to see in further action now that Mania is out there and reminded/informed everyone what the classic gameplay is actually like.

I'd love more flat out boost oriented Sonic games, Colors was the absolute shit and Generations was a step back from it. They had a perfect direction and setup going with Colors and I'm not really sure why they threw that away despite it being highly acclaimed.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man

>sonic forced feels like more of a fan game than the fan game

Mind Blown
Poxni
i wouldn't mind another boost oriented game if they didn't shoehorn a comparatively poor gameplay style (werehog, classic sonic) and had decent level design for it like colors and a handful of generations stages

forces looks very opposite of that, I do kind of think the custom hero -could- be ok but im not exactly confident

I honestly would kind of like another adventure style game tho
Briraka
(Aug 16, 2017 at 9:28 PM)T-man Wrote: >sonic forced feels like more of a fan game than the fan game

Mind Blown

if we compare the two's fangameyness, mania was made by people who know the ins and outs of the classic games in order to make a "best of ", but still add new stuff and twists to the pre-existing zones.

meanwhile, forces is a big ass clusterfuck all like, "AND WE HAVE BOOSHT SONIC, AND CLASSIC SONIC, AND ORIGINAL CHARACTER, AND CHAOS, AND SHADOW, AND METAL SONIC, AND ZAVOK, AND MEPHILES ORIGINAL BADGUY WHO'S DA FASTEST, AND CHARMY DA BEE, AND... etc. etc. ad nausea"
Poxni
also a huge lament of mine is that sonic lost world was on the nose of a potentially amazing direction for sonic but ruined it with a bunch of problems like poorly conjoined variation in gameplay and not enough cool parkour use