Draku
Your Rally is consumed as you gain EX. More EX gained, more Rally used. More or less, it will boost your EX gains but be deducted for each boost it gives.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
time based can be good we just need to find the right formula for it that works with the boards activity
Spritanium
It only makes sense as a mechanic if it's time-based

Consider the following scenarios:

1. You're checking out at a store. The cashier gives you a never-expiring coupon for 10% off your next order. Well that's nice, you think. Maybe I'll come back next week to use it. Or maybe it'll just end up at the bottom of some storage compartment in my car because who really gives a shit.

2. You're checking out at a store. The cashier gives you a coupon for 10% off your next order, and it's good for the next 24 hours. Wow, you'd better come back to the store tomorrow to reap the benefits.

Scenario #1 is more "fair" but there's no sense of urgency. Also neither scenario has to be fair because you're not losing anything, just potentially not gaining something. I'm not sure why I didn't realize it at the time, but it's really amazing that people found the capability to complain about being unable to keep a high rally while being away from the site. Yes it's inconvenient that you have to stay on the site while your Rally is high in order to benefit from it; that's the entire point. Spending a few hours straight on a message board trying to produce quality content isn't something that a lot of people have the time to do, so we should absolutely reward people who ARE willing to put in that time. It's not unfair to people who play in short bursts because it's not like they're spending MORE on spells; they're just getting less of it back. Besides, people like that can just switch to a class with a fixed Rally (when classes are finally a thing)

Would (insert freemium app here) be fun if all your resources remained exactly the same while you were away from the game? No it wouldn't, a large part of the fun is strategically planning your actions to maximize gains and minimize losses. So many games use a time-limited reward tactic to keep people coming back; I don't know why we stopped doing the same.

The EX-based decay is literally just giving people free EX because they cast a spell. If we're going to do that then we might as well just get rid of rally and reduce all the spell costs, because that's what the end result of the current system is. You spend EX on a spell, and you get it all back faster than normal. No matter what. There is no strategy involved, it's just waiting to be reimbursed for EX you spent on a spell.

I distinctly miss the fun of casting a few spells, then posting for a couple of hours trying to gain back some EX. Nobody does this anymore because they can just come back 6 weeks later to gain back the EX instead. Hopefully this post will convince at least a few people that effortlessly getting back a resource you spent isn't fun, it's convenient. And convenience isn't something to strive for in a game; otherwise Mario would just walk around all the levels and go straight to Bowser's castle.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
The issue with time-based decay on this forum in particular is how fucking random activity is.

If we were more consistent I could see it, but you're only saying the ups and not the downs of rally being time based. Think for a moment about how a spell cast becomes "wasted" as far as its rally gains if you cast it and the forum simply isn't active or people don't see your posts trying to capitalize on rally in time. Whenever we had time-based rally I avoided casting spells at certain times simply because I knew the rally would be wasted. That's not very fun, either.

The current way Rally works equalizes out the playing field between levels, so unless we came up with some silly formula that emulated the way it works right now for spell costs to rise/lower by level, which honestly probably wouldn't come off that popularly and be very unintuitive and messy, you'd never match how it works right now.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Mario
the store metaphor falls apart because there's one major difference: inventory. Most of the time, stores are going to have what you want in stock. Minus World activity is mostly pretty short but every now and then there's a Big Bang.

I like Posting and while I think the way rally works is Fine if we can find the right formula for time based, yeah it'll hopefully encourage more posting.
Spritanium
The more I think about it the more ridiculous the current way seems. It's like when you cast a spell it only temporarily charges EX. It's impossible to naturally run low on EX because it'll all keep pouring back in no matter when I decide to log back in. Please Make Rally Great Again
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Aidan
i want EX so i can keep embedding anime OSTs in other people's posts spritey pls don't take my EX away