Spritanium
(Sep 7, 2017 at 11:44 AM)Yrrzy Wrote:
(Sep 7, 2017 at 1:17 AM)Spritanium Wrote: idk I kind of assumed that if people in his life are telling him over and over to watch something then it might be for a good reason

do you just have No personal tastes and watch whatever you're told is good?

like, most people like different things, something can be the best of its kind but if you don't like that kind of thing you're not gonna fucking like it

I have personal tastes AND I watch what I'm told is good, because I'm not a buzzkill who avoids things because they're popular lol

If something is hugely popular that means there's a statistically higher chance that you'll like it, because things don't become popular out of thin air
Spritanium
My pet peeves += people claiming their taste is so nuanced and special that they think their assumptions about works of art are magically correct

I don't even watch most of the shit on that list, but BB+BCS are masterpieces and it's annoying to see them written off as "violence, sex, and gore" or whatever

Sounds to me like EH2 has been so put-off by his friends' suggestions in the past that he just sticks to things he knows, and again he's perfectly free to do that, and I'm perfectly free to say it's a stupid thing to do
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
what the fuck are you talking about holy shit
Yrrzy
how many times do i gotta explain to you the concept that if you don't like chocolate, you're not gonna like the fifteenth fucking chocolate bar your friend recommends to you, even if it is the best chocolate in the world

thats not avoiding something cause its popular thats not fucking liking something

jesus christ
Yrrzy
hey i know youre allergic to peanuts but you gotta fucking try this peanut butter the critics love, it can't be popular for no reason

what do you mean no? fucking hipster
Mario
(Sep 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: hey i know youre allergic to peanuts but you gotta fucking try this peanut butter the critics love, it can't be popular for no reason

great comparison. people allergic to peanuts die. people who watch an episode of a show or two to see if they like it tend to die too.

idk what the big deal is either way, like its hard to watch an episode of a show and say 'yeah that wasnt for me' but also its sudo's loss if he's missing out on something that he might like. There's plenty of things I thought were garbage before I spent any time with them and now I'm a SuperWhoLock, but there's also plenty of things that I still won't bother with and think are total garbage lol
Mario
pet peeve: analogies on minus world
Yrrzy
note to self; never use hyperbole on mw again

I'm just saying if sudo hates violent and gory content then insisting he watch every "good" piece of violent/gory content just to be sure he won't like it is a waste of his time and it bothers me that he's the one being criticised here
Draku
(Sep 7, 2017 at 5:04 PM)Mario Wrote:
(Sep 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: hey i know youre allergic to peanuts but you gotta fucking try this peanut butter the critics love, it can't be popular for no reason

great comparison. people allergic to peanuts die. people who watch an episode of a show or two to see if they like it tend to die too.

idk what the big deal is either way, like its hard to watch an episode of a show and say 'yeah that wasnt for me' but also its sudo's loss if he's missing out on something that he might like. There's plenty of things I thought were garbage before I spent any time with them and now I'm a SuperWhoLock, but there's also plenty of things that I still won't bother with and think are total garbage lol
good post

(Sep 7, 2017 at 5:08 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: I'm just saying if sudo hates violent and gory content then insisting he watch every "good" piece of violent/gory content just to be sure he won't like it is a waste of his time and it bothers me that he's the one being criticised here
there are always exceptions and you won't ever know they exist unless you give them a try
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yrrzy
see this is why i used the allergy analogy

sure you won't die, but if you have a visceral negative reaction to something, you can fairly safely assume after attempting a few times that it doesn't matter what that ingredient is in, you're still gonna have that visceral negative reaction to it
Mario
tree but allergies are fucking deadly, but I don't think watching a show you don't like is even comparable to milder allergies like pollen ones
Draku
(Sep 7, 2017 at 5:30 PM)Mario Wrote: tree but allergies are fucking deadly, but I don't think watching a show you don't like is even comparable to milder allergies like pollen ones
Not to mention allergies will always present the same reaction no matter what, but in an entertainment context portions of things can create incredibly different reactions depending on context and presentation.
Yrrzy
im comparing "knowing you'll have a negative reaction to one of the ingredients", in this case the reaction isn't death, obviously, but its still a predictable negative reaction
EH2
new pet peeve: that moment when you stupidly voice out your pet peeve out in the open and suddenly you have three people vocally judging you and your lifestyle and an unfortunate soul dragged into a discussion they might have never wanted to take part of because they try to defend you

also I wanna give briraka a high five
Draku
none of my posts are about you personally but rather the idea of forcing oneself not to try something because one clairvoyantly knows they won't enjoy it because of some reason they come up with

you're allowed to hate something as much as you want as soon as you actually give it a shot, but any statements made beforehand about it and your opinion mean absolutely nothing up until that point

i say this knowing full well that i myself at times do similar, but i also don't believe any of those thoughts hold any water
Mario
sudo's pet peeve is fine, I just think Both Sides Are Wrong when it comes to spritey and yrr here. You need to understand each other better. I'm a radical centrist on this issue, It's literally not a big deal to watch something but also I'd rather explode near a toilet than watch game of thrones
EH2
also because it seems I have to spell it out to spritey in hopes he stops doing exactly what I complain about that my offline acquaintances do, here we go

Sudo's Reasons

Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul: Even though I know damn well that these are very well done shows (hell, I TRUST Rian Johnson with Star Wars VIII), I heavily dislike the theme of the main show (hits close to home) and I damn well know it's more violent than I'd be able to tolerate for that long a TV show.
Game of Thrones: This one's even more gratuitous than the one above.
MCU and DCEU: I sure as fuck tried keeping up, but the first Avengers movie and the Nolan Batman movies are bad enough memories to put me off trying again
Horror films: I hate the genre enough that the film has to be like, universally fucking acclaimed as a masterpiece for more reasons than being "a good horror film" for me to want to consider them
Twin Peaks: I'm familiar with the work of David Lynch, and I think this would be too hard a watch for me for something I don't think I'd enjoy enough to make up for it
Stranger Things: In this particular case I might be up to watch it once I get in the mood - the problem is that my acquaintances want me to start now and to stay up to date for some reason, like, give me my fucking space
Attack on Titan: Does this shit even have a single redeeming quality
Gintama: It's too fucking long and ongoing, I fucking dropped Conan for the same reason, please I don't want to go to that particular hell again

edit: I took so long other people posted

draku, I get it, but I don't form my opinions on shows completely blind, I do look for promo footage and reviews and shit - and by the time I think "let's dig deeper to see if this is worth a damn, I don't think I'd care about spoiling myself in this case" it's already a bad sign
Mario
as far as stranger things goes, there's a season on Netflix now and they'll release the second one in one big chunk on halloween. its not like a weekly thing you gotta keep up with or anything like that (in case you didn't know)
Spritanium
Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are tonally almost nothing alike; there's still occasional violence in the latter but it's always part of the B story. The main story is about a former con artist turned lawyer constantly trying to impress his older brother who secretly resents him.

This is what I'm talking about. I understand "not liking chocolate", but if you decline something totally unrelated to "chocolate" on the basis of "not liking chocolate", then it's kind of a moot point

You don't have to watch these shows, I don't care dude, just stop pretending like you're intimately familiar with things you actively avoid. You're basically bragging about making a choice to ignore things you could potentially enjoy

I'm not gonna give you a pat on the back for refusing peoples' recommendations. I just think your pet peeve is dumb lol. "People constantly try to share their enjoyment with me, I can't take it"
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Puddin
(Sep 7, 2017 at 5:08 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: note to self; never use hyperbole on mw again

I know right? For some reason every single person on this forum thinks hyperbole is the worst rhetorical device in the universe.