Shadow the Hedgehog
new pet peeve:

an argument springing forth based on one person's pet peeve in a topic where you're supposed to be able to list pet peeves lmao

it's kinda like when you argue with people that are just trying to get shit off their chest in #venting on Discord
Spritanium
The only thing I'm annoyed by in this entire thread is Better Call Saul being lumped together with Breaking Bad. They are two completely different shows
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Dude
(Sep 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM)Yrrzy Wrote: hey i know youre allergic to peanuts but you gotta fucking try this peanut butter the critics love, it can't be popular for no reason
did you know one of the current treatments for peanut butter allergy is to give the person peanut butter, and then immediately treat the allergy symptoms?
eventually, the body gets so used to peanut butter the allergy becomes less severe

something something deep meaningful commentary joke
Dude
oh right pet peeves

people who get personally offended when "thing they like" gets insulted
also people who get offended because they assume things that are neutral statements are personally directed at them
Draku
(Sep 7, 2017 at 5:59 PM)EH2 Wrote: draku, I get it, but I don't form my opinions on shows completely blind, I do look for promo footage and reviews and shit - and by the time I think "let's dig deeper to see if this is worth a damn, I don't think I'd care about spoiling myself in this case" it's already a bad sign
my posts are not about your case but here's something i've never quite understood

if you want to justify not watching something so much that you spend a bunch of time arguing that you dont want to see a thing and go for reviews and spoilers and everything else

you could have spent that time sitting down for about an hour with the media people want you to watch (small enough investment to not be much of a loss if it's a wash yet enough time with it to judge most things) and actually had some personal experience with it to see it through your own lens instead of how someone else presents it
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Shadow the Hedgehog
tbh if you spend a lot of time talking shit about media you haven't consumed, it's understandable to me that people might become annoyed with you talking shit about stuff they like when you haven't even given it a chance yourself. Especially if you reply to their positive commentary to shit on it.

but whether people find it annoying or not, nobody can or should stop you from speaking your mind, I just see where they are coming from especially with the whole sonic mania vs. forces war on the internet

getting into arguments about shit you know little about because you haven't watched/played it is super dumb imo
Briraka
(Sep 7, 2017 at 6:48 PM)Shadow the Hedgehog Wrote: an argument springing forth based on one person's pet peeve in a topic where you're supposed to be able to list pet peeves lmao

but there's no discussion value if we all just listed our peeves and gave everyone a pat on the back and said, "good for you".

btw that reminds me of one of my bigger pet peeves:

i hate hug-boxes.Disgust
Puddin
BTW reading or hearing about other people's pet peeves kind of give me anxiety. Like when I just find out every day things I do just piss people off it's just... ugh. Like it's already horrifying enough for me to be around people and be myself in the first place and I already have all these gigantic lists of checkboxes in my head of "don't do this it'll be annoying" and if I were to just never ever do anything that was another person's pet peeve I'd have to just never ever have to talk but then I bet someone is like "my pet peeve is people who don't talk" or "my pet peeve is introverts" or "my pet peeve is shy people" and FUCK GOD DAMN IT
Briraka
(Sep 7, 2017 at 9:15 PM)Pudding Wrote: BTW reading or hearing about other people's pet peeves kind of give me anxiety. Like when I just find out every day things I do just piss people off it's just... ugh. Like it's already horrifying enough for me to be around people and be myself in the first place and I already have all these gigantic lists of checkboxes in my head of "don't do this it'll be annoying" and if I were to just never ever do anything that was another person's pet peeve I'd have to just never ever have to talk but then I bet someone is like "my pet peeve is people who don't talk" or "my pet peeve is introverts" or "my pet peeve is shy people" and FUCK GOD DAMN IT

that's an easy fix: don't view every person and every situation as one big monolith of conflicting opinions and contexts.
Puddin
(Sep 7, 2017 at 9:27 PM)Briraka Wrote: that's an easy fix: don't view every person and every situation as one big monolith of conflicting opinions and contexts.
(Sep 7, 2017 at 9:27 PM)Briraka Wrote: easy
citation needed
EH2
(Sep 7, 2017 at 6:42 PM)Mario Wrote: as far as stranger things goes, there's a season on Netflix now and they'll release the second one in one big chunk on halloween. its not like a weekly thing you gotta keep up with or anything like that (in case you didn't know)

oh yeah I'm aware it has netflix schedule

when I say that they pester me to stay up to date, I mean that they judge me for not having watched stranger things S1 when it released and are constantly asking me whether I already watched S1 and to do so before Halloween so that I can marathon S1 right as it's released, just like them

(Sep 7, 2017 at 6:45 PM)Spritanium Wrote: This is what I'm talking about. I understand "not liking chocolate", but if you decline something totally unrelated to "chocolate" on the basis of "not liking chocolate", then it's kind of a moot point

You don't have to watch these shows, I don't care dude, just stop pretending like you're intimately familiar with things you actively avoid. You're basically bragging about making a choice to ignore things you could potentially enjoy

I'm not gonna give you a pat on the back for refusing peoples' recommendations. I just think your pet peeve is dumb lol. "People constantly try to share their enjoyment with me, I can't take it"

The thing with BCS is that if I'm not planning to watch Breaking Bad, then I don't think I'd get all there is to get from its offshoot - and that it's not just the tone, its also the theme that rubs me the wrong way ("Watch these people either turn bad or go back to being bad respectively"). Oh, and drugs. I don't want to watch anything that has to do with the drug business.

And I think you're sort of missing my point a bit because all that you've seen is me posting that I'm annoyed that my offline friends and coworkers don't stop pestering me about this stuff, so instead of seeing a man that is fed up with "why don't you consume the media I consume and instead consume the media I don't consume" and "why do you dislike strong themes in media, are you a prude or a sissy or a manchild or whatever" you instead see a dumb hipster shouting out loud that My Tastes Are Better Than Those Of The Plebeians - which I'm not doing. I like stuff that includes select things that most people would consider garbage of the lowest level of the landfill and I give 0 fucks about it.

You can think my pet peeve is dumb if you want to, that's OK. But know that it matters enough to me to make me, at times, wish to leave my acquaintances behind, get a new job in a new city, and make damn sure I tell them lies about how I don't watch movies, TV shows, cartoons, play videogames, or otherwise consume any other kind of media so as to avoid hours-long conversations that I 100% never want to be in. Unless it's here in Minus World, because you guys are chill.
Shadow the Hedgehog
(Sep 7, 2017 at 8:59 PM)Briraka Wrote:
(Sep 7, 2017 at 6:48 PM)Shadow the Hedgehog Wrote: an argument springing forth based on one person's pet peeve in a topic where you're supposed to be able to list pet peeves lmao

but there's no discussion value if we all just listed our peeves and gave everyone a pat on the back and said, "good for you".

btw that reminds me of one of my bigger pet peeves:

i hate hug-boxes.Disgust
This isn't supposed to be a super deep discussion. It's more a vent box than a "hug box".

I'm not sure there's any value at all to saying someone's wrong for having pet peeves you don't agree with, and I definitely don't think arguing about it will change their mind either.
Briraka
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:12 PM)Shadow the Hedgehog Wrote: This isn't supposed to be a super deep discussion. It's more a vent box than a "hug box".

I'm not sure there's any value at all to saying someone's wrong for having pet peeves you don't agree with, and I definitely don't think arguing about it will change their mind either.

eh, vent box, hug box. they both have the same effect on ourselves if all we do is complain about our annoyances without using them as a starting point for bettering ourselves, whether or not we change our minds, or further reinforce our own positions.

yeah, this is hypocritical of the guy who made the previous pet peeve topic, but at the very least i was aware of the circlejerk nature of these kind of things. if "deep discussions" can be had, let them.
Shadow the Hedgehog
(Sep 7, 2017 at 10:44 PM)Briraka Wrote: but at the very least i was aware
woah fuck off
Shadow the Hedgehog
Have you guys ever been behind someone in line who brought their hefty jar of pennies to pay for shit and that's the only line open?
Yrrzy
i work checkouts and honestly when people try to pay exact change i die inside cause i gotta count it all out myself and im honestly Bad At Counting
Spritanium
(Sep 7, 2017 at 11:00 PM)Shadow the Hedgehog Wrote: Have you guys ever been behind someone in line who brought their hefty jar of pennies to pay for shit and that's the only line open?

But my precious Briydenn finally saved up enough allowance to buy a toy and I'm teaching him the value of a dollar
Spritanium
That reminds me of another pet peeve:

People asking shit like "when are you going to have kids?", more frequently the older you get, like it's just a necessity of life to throw yours away in favor of creating another one

Kids are weird and I don't like them, so I don't want to have them and neither does my wife. But we constantly get shit like "ohhh you'll change your mind later". Hearing that shit makes me ten times more likely to DINK it my whole life just to prove those dickheads wrong

"You're so selfish!" yeah it's not my problem that you found out having a kid sucks and now you're plagued with a subconscious jealous desire to make everyone else as miserable and soulless as you are

Also how is it selfish to be child free when the world population growth looks like this
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Briraka
(Sep 7, 2017 at 11:37 PM)Spritanium Wrote: That reminds me of another pet peeve:

People asking shit like "when are you going to have kids?", more frequently the older you get, like it's just a necessity of life to throw yours away in favor of creating another one

Kids are weird and I don't like them, so I don't want to have them and neither does my wife. But we constantly get shit like "ohhh you'll change your mind later". Hearing that shit makes me ten times more likely to DINK it my whole life just to prove those dickheads wrong

"You're so selfish!" yeah it's not my problem that you found out having a kid sucks and now you're plagued with a subconscious jealous desire to make everyone else as miserable and soulless as you are

Also how is it selfish to be child free when the world population growth looks like this

i agree with most of this...

Quote:yeah it's not my problem that you found out having a kid sucks and now you're plagued with a subconscious jealous desire to make everyone else as miserable and soulless as you are

.... with this part being an exception. the whole, "have a kid, it'll make you happy" thing feels more like a misguided attempt at trying to enrich the other person's life by having the same experiences they had raising a kid, without realizing that not everyone is either not cut out to be a parent, or is just unwilling.

"hey, have a kid, 's good for you. c'mon, don't be a sissy boy."
EH2
(Sep 8, 2017 at 12:00 AM)Briraka Wrote: "hey, have a kid, 's good for you. c'mon, don't be a sissy boy."

"c'mon, have a kid. it's easy. except teaching them to eat the broccoli."