Poll: Time-based Rally or current Rally system?

Time-based was better
0%
Time-based is better, but needs to be adjusted
50.00%
Current system is better
50.00%
Total: 4 vote(s)

Rally is still pointless without a time-based decay

Spritanium
It's just kinda mindblowing to me that nobody understands oracular's original concept behind rally. We turned it into a number that you get to watch go up and up with no consequence or risk. At this point I'm just going to use Stylish to hide rally entirely because it just pisses me off now, it's like we removed the only legitimately challenging mechanic we had because it makes people feel good to have a big number by their name.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Pedigree
(Oct 2, 2017 at 5:42 AM)Spritanium Wrote: I'm literally not concerned about activity, I'm fine with this being a forum that 5-10 people post on, as long as there's some challenge and strategy behind the gamelike features

As far as I'm concerned this is purely a discussion about rally and how the way it currently works is like a lottery everybody gets to win all the time

what exactly are they winning

great they have a lot of EX, too bad there's no posts to spend it on to cast spells and you sure as hell can't do anything else with EX

if you want more posts you need more members, discord is far superior for staying in touch with 5-10 people especially when some of those people are limited to mobile and MW is FUCKING SHIT on mobile

how the fuck can you complain that rally doesn't encourage more posts without a time decay and then say activity doesn't matter in the same fucking thread LMAO make up your GODDAMN mind
Pedigree
How fucking challenging can a game be when you're the only one playing it and there is no objective?
Spritanium
I said it was just a side effect man

Still, I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure felt a lot more compelled to post when my super limited edition bonus reward wasn't something that froze in place for my convenience
EH2
and before this conversation strays into "discord is stealing activity from X, Y, or Z", a few words from Zelma:

[12:39 AM] Goth Girl GANG Zelma: man i miss when this discord used to be poppin music with activity
[12:40 AM] Goth Girl GANG Zelma: now everyone is busy being a productive member of society

Even Discord isn't bustling with activity.

Again: If we want more activity, we need more people interested in being here, and for this site to be more accessible for more people. Thinking that you'll get activity and therefore meaning from all the game functions in this site in any other way is fooling yourself.
Draku
(Oct 2, 2017 at 5:20 AM)Spritanium Wrote: But if that's really an issue then I would recommend holding increased Rally in place until you collect your next EX, after which it starts to decay based on time
if it didn't count ex gained from making posts i'd say this would be a great compromise, because otherwise that'd be a punishment for posting after casting which i don't think we really want to deincentivize lol.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Pedigree
Time-decaying rally would literally just mean you'd have to cast spells on old fucking posts to boost your EX gain then flood the entire forum to replace the EX you fucking spent and maybe gain a little extra on top. What the fuck does time-decaying rally add? It's not challenging, it's a fucking pointless grind on a dead forum that you literally said you don't give a shit about bringing to life.

I can't understand where you're coming from because this design philosophy makes literally 0 fucking sense.
Pedigree
Btw fun fact: afaik nobody even saw rally as a reward in the first place, same goes for EX. Only things people kinda gave a shit about were badges especially once the novelty of this forum's features wore off and development stopped. Add in the fact that more people leave than join and you have a zombie of a forum.
Spritanium
OK in case anybody actually does get where I'm coming from, here's a quick stylish script I made to hide this pointless epeen number

Code:
.header-userinfo > div:first-child > .username,
.postbit-rally,
.spell_cost_rally,
[title="Your Rally is a multiplier on all incoming EXP. Cast Spells to temporarily increase it!"]{
    display: none;
}
Pedigree
LMAO you know what's funny is that nobody even compared rally with each other so this "e-peen" shit is entirely on you
Spritanium
By epeen I mean it does nothing useful and is just there to be a big pretty number which rarely goes down
EH2
Remember when I was the one complaining about the game features in this place and how I wanted not to have to endure them?

how the turntables

edit: another reminder that this person is saying the number won't go down but my rally went so down so fast, hip hop and reggaeton is still being written about it
Spritanium
What does that have to do with anything tho

If you don't care about the extra features then you don't have to use them, or even be affected by them, this has always been the case no matter how rally works

But regardless rally is dead to me because it's broken and people clearly prefer it to be broken, so I can just ignore it now. rip
Pedigree
The way I see it, it rewards people for casting spells on posts, helping them to recoup their cost and have a few gains if they are active. Adding a time decay effect would just punish people for casting spells, all for some imaginary philosophy that Rally should be an achievement when really all it does is make the EX grind required for spell casting bearable.

If you think rally should encourage more posting, which is what you said in the OP and then later refuted as a nice side effect, then posting should be the action that increases it.

None of this matters, however, because still nobody is "playing" your "game" and probably won't unless you promote it.
To keep it 1000 I still don't even know what rally does or even care. Just want my brother @"Blasterwyrms" and @God to post more and not fall into the evil clutches othe frog. Very dangerous.
Yrrzy
al this gamification talk when the true game is Killing Game
Agastya
rally was a good idea in concept that was a bad idea in practice and no amount of complaining about it is going to fix it
Agastya
i just want to post shit but i need threads to post in cuz im not creative. sometimes ill cast overreaction on someone
BIRDS ACTIVATED
🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦
Spritanium
I never thought it was bad in practice until we succumbed to people who think temporary bonus rewards should be frozen in place for their convenience

And I don't even remember who those people were

But yeah we should just remove the mechanic altogether because it isn't doing anybody any favors anymore
Yrrzy
man you know what i need to make me post more

i need an arbitrary number that means nothing to be calculated differently to how it is now

that'll make me post more