Consuming the Creations of People You Find Reprehensible

Briraka
(Oct 18, 2017 at 8:31 PM)Pedigree Wrote: Sorry for rambling, lmao

agreed with the whole rant there, but especially the whole thing about the "us vs. them" mentality. not exactly helped that the u.s. has only two real political parties that people on both the right and left have to choose, or else they're basically throwing away their vote on a third party with no real chance of winning any campaign. with that, it also helps perpetuate the "us vs. them" mentality by corralling all leftists and rightists into the same political space, "oh, so you're a liberal? that also means your a communist!", "a conservative? haha, fuck you fascists."
T-man
(Oct 19, 2017 at 1:49 AM)Briraka Wrote:

agreed with the whole rant there, but especially the whole thing about the "us vs. them" mentality. not exactly helped that the u.s. has only two real political parties that people on both the right and left have to choose, or else they're basically throwing away their vote on a third party with no real chance of winning any campaign. with that, it also helps perpetuate the "us vs. them" mentality by corralling all leftists and rightists into the same political space, "oh, so you're a liberal? that also means your a communist!", "a conservative? haha, fuck you fascists."

This.

Fuck the two party system.

We need like, four at the very least.
Aidan
(Oct 19, 2017 at 1:58 AM)T-man Wrote:
(Oct 19, 2017 at 1:49 AM)Briraka Wrote:

This.

Fuck the two party system.

We need like, four at the very least.

update from Canada:
it's not as good as you'd think
Pea
green party provides us with laughs tho
God
what? we all need a one-party system
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Spritanium
How about a no-party system where people aren't bullied into voting a certain way
[Image: supercorrect.png]
EH2
There's a detail I want to point out here.

From what I can see, most people here are in agreement that there's no real problem in consuming things from problematic people so long as you're not consuming actual propaganda from them. And well, it's... pretty complicated, because ultimately the creation reflects the creator in some shape or form, to the point where things you're consuming might seem "a little off" at first and then, surprise surprise, you discover they seemed a little off for a reason (Attack on Titan, anyone?).

But there's very little to achieve by starting an argument about "why do you consume X" or "why do you care so much about X so as to not consume it" when what we should be truly turning to see is "what actions am I indirectly supporting with my money."

I want everyone to remember the Chick-Fil-A fiasco of a few years back. Remember how there was a call for boycott and suddenly everyone right-leaning was forming lines waiting to buy WAY more food from every single of their locations and singing God Bless America in the store and whatnot? It's easy to see why: because the call for boycott had an actual reason to be. The company was donating to groups that were against same-sex marriage. There was MONEY involved in this boycott, money that was actually being used to further agendas, and that's exactly why when the call for boycott happened, suddenly a counter-boycott formed - because it wasn't forming out of thin air. It was forming out of money and its usage.

This is what the crux of what "refraining from supporting reprehensible people" really is about. Yeah, you're making X person money because you like the content they release, but what are they gonna do with that money? I mean, it's quite the stretch to say that giving money to a "problematic" figure so that they later... feed themselves, or pay a bill, or take their pet to the vet or whatever, would be supporting a problematic person. But giving money to someone who you know donates to organizations that you oppose, or that even oppose you or things you need in your life, wouldn't it feel like you're sabotaging yourself and others like you? It was YOUR money. You helped them RAISE that money. Money that will be used AGAINST YOU. Even if what you did was uh... buy their album because it sounds good? It's gonna feel like shit, won't it?
Pedigree
The problem is...

There is absolutely no evidence that the ad revenue for people like JonTron, for which the backlash against inspired this thread in the first place, is being donated to white supremacists in any manner.

Chik-Fil-A's CEO was confirmed to donate to anti-LGBT organizations. If you were in those lines specifically because you support that, well you're a shitty person. However if someone just really likes those sandwiches and is oblivious to what their purchase is going towards, that's still a bit different than someone joining a counter-boycott purposefully in support of the company's donations to anti-LGBT organizations.

Money is filthy, it has always been made at a cost to another person or group of people. Are you specifically to blame for a corporation like Walmart keeping their employees from their loved ones on the holidays? No, but you're probably a shitty person if you go into Walmart on Thanksgiving Day or minutes before closing on Christmas. Are you specifically to blame if your tax money was spent on drones that illegally killed civilians? No, but you might be a shitty person if you continue to vote people into office who you are aware did spend money on said drones.

Whatever the situation or extreme, I think your actions matter more than whose products or services you are consuming. In the case of money, it can be a powerful tool of protest but not everyone who bypasses your picket line has to be the enemy.
T-man
You raise a very compelling point, EH2. However, I think most people are simple, ignorant and selfish and those qualities should not be mistaken for or treated as malice. If you want to get all pissed off at Chick-Fil-A get pissed off at Chick-Fil-A; Not Johnny from down the street who's only thinking about getting a tasty chicken sandwich, stopping home to feed his cat, and getting back to work on time.
Draku
yo if hitler made a good-ass sandwich i'd pay him for it too
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
T-man
(Oct 20, 2017 at 5:57 PM)Draku Wrote: yo if hitler made a good-ass sandwich i'd pay him for it too
wow i did nazi that coming
Spritanium
Why would anyone even entertain the concept of JonTron donating to white supremacists lmao

If anything he's a US nationalist which is not the same thing and not nearly as bad
Spritanium
And yeah I'll stop buying chick fil a when it stops being delicious
[Image: supercorrect.png]
EH2
yeah nah I was not talking about JonTron at all in my post tbh, I was speaking broadly about "people who you find reprehensible"

and I'm not in favor of crusading against people who consume shitty propaganda or support people who fund assholes, what I'm in favor of is telling people they should reconsider what and who they invest on and hoping they do change their minds

the only time I've actually went and checked who's consuming what is just for when I'm considering following someone in a social media venue that either throws their likes at me for viewing or employs an algorithm to recommend me things/people based on them, like, I'm no longer gonna follow John Petrucci or anyone else at Dream Theater because they're fucking Trumpfags and they can go to hell (just an example lol) but I'm not gonna look funny at my coworker who still loves Dream Theater and goes to their concerts and has merch of them and wears their T-shirts and blah blah blah because who am I to judge him
Speaking of people you find reprehensible I almost never read any @EH2 post but that's just me personally
EH2
One day. One day I'll find out what's Zelma's beef with me.

One day.

EDIT: I'd ask him, but he won't read my question