Consuming the Creations of People You Find Reprehensible

Poxni
(Oct 6, 2017 at 5:24 AM)Mario Wrote: i still play minecraft though, makes me laugh when you think of notch
at the least it's been out of his hands for some time

but eh yeah, it's case by case as some have said.
[Image: xPhNzA9.jpg]
Mario
(Oct 10, 2017 at 2:41 AM)Poxni Wrote:
(Oct 6, 2017 at 5:24 AM)Mario Wrote: i still play minecraft though, makes me laugh when you think of notch
at the least it's been out of his hands for some time

true, but his shitty game design choices are stuck with it forever
Cdiplayer
My view is that probably a significant amount of the art you consume is made by people with whom you disagree on all kinds of issues, and I personally don't get terribly upset by people with "abhorrent" political views so long as they keep it peaceful. Holding certain views and acting on them are very different in my book. I probably will check out A Hat in Time at some point just to see what took so long.
Spritanium
Yeah the only time this really becomes an issue is when creators inject their personal Shitty Views into their work, OR when the money they get from said work is used for Shitty Things

Any other time it just makes sense to separate the content from the creator; we're kidding ourselves if we pretend that bad people always make bad things, or even that problematic people always make problematic things
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Mario
lol everyone injects their views into everything they make, quit kidding yourself
Spritanium
Hey look I just made a thing:

[Image: aOWhgGz.png]

Now through the power of telepathic mind control all my political goals will be achieved
T-man
(Oct 16, 2017 at 7:55 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Hey look I just made a thing:

Now through the power of telepathic mind control all my political goals will be achieved

Circle looks a little right of center, you fucking nazi
El Negro
(Oct 16, 2017 at 7:55 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Hey look I just made a thing:

Sorry good man but I felt the need of fixing your work, it looked a little upset and round so I moved on and thought outside of the circle

[Image: 402e89a7f4.png]

Therefore it turned into a box
[Image: z839mDR.png]
Spritanium
Fuck yo uruined my whole message
El Negro
(Oct 16, 2017 at 9:07 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Fuck yo uruined my whole message
[Image: VM8eJ.png]
[Image: z839mDR.png]
Pedigree
If you consume content from people who say or do bad things but don't parrot or condone what they say or do, I think you're fine.
God
it depends on what stage of crossing the border the nightmail express is on. if this is the nightmail crossing the border, bringing the check and the postal order i reckon it's probably ok.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Pedigree
I'm sure everyone has some skeletons in their closets or a shitty opinion of their own. Does doing any kind of trade with you mean I'm guilty of funding whatever bullshit you've done or may do in the future no matter how unrelated my trade with you was to the situation, Orion?

This culture of blaming everyone but the person who did or said the bad thing is really getting nobody anywhere.
God
(Oct 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM)Pedigree Wrote: I'm sure everyone has some skeletons in their closets or a shitty opinion of their own. Does doing any kind of trade with you mean I'm guilty of funding whatever bullshit you've done or may do in the future no matter how unrelated my trade with you was to the situation, Orion?

This culture of blaming everyone but the person who did or said the bad thing is really getting nobody anywhere.

What in Tarnation are you Talking about.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
T-man
(Oct 18, 2017 at 12:28 AM)Pedigree Wrote: I'm sure everyone has some skeletons in their closets or a shitty opinion of their own. Does doing any kind of trade with you mean I'm guilty of funding whatever bullshit you've done or may do in the future no matter how unrelated my trade with you was to the situation, Orion?

Purity testers will give you shit but you're right on the money.

No one is truly free from sin, I just don't buy it. Everyone has done or said something that they regret and would prefer be left buried in the past. Those who have the gall to turn their noses up at others should be thankful their lives aren't being scrutinized by an unforgiving public.
Spritanium
Also keep in mind that there are legitimately, unabashedly terrible people in the world, some of whom are pulling some pretty big strings

I can't stand this trend of trying to ruin the lives of easier targets, people who simply have questionable opinions but no malice, so we can feel like we're doing something useful. Wouldn't it be better to like, politely educate these people and try to compromise/team up with them?
Briraka
(Oct 18, 2017 at 2:14 PM)Spritanium Wrote: Wouldn't it be better to like, politely educate these people and try to compromise/team up with them?

oh hun, you know that a Utopian Society of a World Peace can't possibly co-exist with BIGOTS, right?I'm All Ears

tee hee.Awesome!
Spritanium
LOL yeah that's pretty much the mindset of most far-left people, just refuse to understand or even entertain the humanity of anybody who has problematic viewpoints. All it does is build walls and divide people up into uselessly tiny groups of inaction, when we should be thinking about the things that we all have in common and how we can move forward to take on bigger problems such as institutionalized racism, institutionalized sexism, the fact that billionaires keep giving themselves tax cuts, etc.

I mean I even consider myself pretty far-left and people like that still scare me. There's just nothing to be gained from the "shun imperfect people and ruin their livelihoods" mindset, like I said before it just lets people pretend they're fighting a bigger problem, when they're really just punishing someone who is a product of society just like we all are
T-man
(Oct 18, 2017 at 6:43 PM)Spritanium Wrote: LOL yeah that's pretty much the mindset of most far-left people, just refuse to understand or even entertain the humanity of anybody who has problematic viewpoints. All it does is build walls and divide people up into uselessly tiny groups of inaction, when we should be thinking about the things that we all have in common and how we can move forward to take on bigger problems such as institutionalized racism, institutionalized sexism, the fact that billionaires keep giving themselves tax cuts, etc.

I mean I even consider myself pretty far-left and people like that still scare me. There's just nothing to be gained from the "shun imperfect people and ruin their livelihoods" mindset, like I said before it just lets people pretend they're fighting a bigger problem, when they're really just punishing someone who is a product of society just like we all are

I always raise an eyebrow whenever people call for someone’s name and livelihood to be dragged through the mud and be forever stained by their transgression. If you really feel that these people should never be able to be social or work again, why not just straight up kill them? Death by firing squad.

Oh, but I guess you can’t be perceived as the good guy when you advocate for the slaughter of bigots so I guess the best course of action is to leave them with nothing so they kill themselves. It’s like having your cake and eating it too.

There has to be some shades between no consequences and a lifetime of consequence, right?
Pedigree
I think calling people who advocate for violence or the destruction of other people's lives for the greater good "far left" is a bit disingenuous and only serves those who would demonize all progressive/liberal agenda in favor of conservative/right-leaning values. I happen to side with the progressive left (corporate/centrist dems excluded entirely) on most policy and social issues, so I do take offense to this broad generalization.

I would also add that protesting people or companies by refusing them your support (financial or otherwise) is not the problem. What I take issue with is people out to expose people by leaking personal information that could bring them harm from those resorting to violence or property damage. Calling and harassing employers in order to demand that employees are fired from their jobs is another thing I take issue with. There is also demonizing people for who they associate with instead of their words or actions and labeling people neo-nazis without considering the implications or consequences and muddying such words. Destructive behavior that has accomplished nothing more than ruining the lives of individuals to satiate the knee-jerk rage at that particular moment.

Furthering the divide and haplessly empowering the other extreme with their own actions while they blame everyone else and take absolutely no responsibility for their own. "If you're not us then you're them and they want to destroy us" is such a dangerous line of thought but both of the extremes seem to abide by this, dragging the entire population into their turmoil as they continue to ruin lives without remorse. Both sides convinced they are doing this for the greater good when really they're only thinking of themselves.

That isn't to say they won't make some good points in their own way or that both extremes are equally bad, but neither extreme is good. You can claim whatever you like about your own individual crusade but when it's really just "us" versus "them", there can be no winners.

Sorry for rambling, lmao