Who believes in the Big Bang creation myth

Spritanium
Let me amend my previous post, it's not that I mind discussing white supremacy, it's that one user is so insultingly combative about it that it just dampens the whole MW experience for a large number of users. Whenever she does this it feels like there's a dark cloud hanging over the forum; it's just so much useless negativity for the sole purpose of collecting pretend internet points on a forum she secretly hates.

Compare the past 7 months to the past 2 days. What changed during this time? Which forum did you like better? How do we get back to that point?
[Image: supercorrect.png]
kaZaam
idt orions bringing up white supremaxy for the sake of bringing up white supremacy. shes bringing it up because she sees it
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
God
(Oct 4, 2016 at 1:09 AM)Kazaam Wrote: i think a lot of the 'it's not a religion' insecurity comes from some kind of deep-seeded acknowledgement that this science obsession really is just an extension of faith fronting as intelligence. it's like they want to have this weird fake credibility as Almost Scientists just for going with it.

yeah and also just because science is a religion doesn't mean that it can't be other things too.

also i think another insecurity is to do with the fact that in the west most secular people more or less equate religion with Christianity and everyone's got their Christianity-inflicted traumas.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Shroomguy
I don't know how I want to respond to this thread, but I'll Wayne Gretzky it.

I believe the Big Bang happened. I'm not explicitly married to science, but I do think it is a great tool for understanding the universe. I don't think it is the only way to understand the universe or the nuances of people.
The Beef Baron
Mario
[deleted]
God
Quote:the moderation slack you guys made

LOL oh my god top kek
God
(Oct 4, 2016 at 1:37 AM)Shroomguy Wrote: I don't know how I want to respond to this thread, but I'll Wayne Gretzky it.

I believe the Big Bang happened. I'm not explicitly married to science, but I do think it is a great tool for understanding the universe. I don't think it is the only way to understand the universe or the nuances of people.

for me i think the least important thing about phenomena is whether or not they actually happened/existed (i.e. even if the big bang occurred is somehow irrefutably provable, i still wouldn't really give it much time of day), but what sort of sustainable morals/principles/relations it can help establish with the world. i totally get that science instills awe and inspiration in a lot of people and that's one of the more admirable sides of it and something i can totally get on board with, but those aspects aren't really dependent on the 'facts' of science for me.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
kaZaam
^that
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
Mario
[deleted]
DrTapeworm
why not combine both science and religion? how would a robot perceive its creator? as a peer, or a god? would a robot learn of an existing human religion from its creator, or would it form one of its own from experience? where does the robot's consciousness go after its hardware fails? the events of the hit television series "Futurama" suggested the existence of a Robot Hell ruled by a Robot Satan, but does this hold true for all machines? how does all of this tie together? sorry i just get real passionate about hypothetical robot-related situations
[Image: dinogunz.png]
God
if scientists dedicated themselves to the fursuit of knowledge rather than the pursuit of knowledge we'd be in a much better place right now
DrTapeworm
is the fursuit of knowledge just an octopus fursuit, since octopuses are the smartest animals (smarter than human or lizard)
[Image: dinogunz.png]
Mario
[deleted]
Mario
[deleted]
God
(Oct 4, 2016 at 2:15 AM)wtl Wrote: if everyone had sex at once do you think we'd birth a new universe

duh
Shroomguy
Ah, so it's what you're taking away from it that's important to you, right? (If I'm wrong correct me) I don't think I've heard that before, at least in relation to science. For me, the facts are relevant, prevalent, and observable in my day to day, but I try to keep that true of other "systems" that I'm a part of. I dig it though.

For me personally, I think it's an accurate paradigm and one that is compatible with other aspects of my life. Not without the flaws mentioned of excluding people but I think there are progressive minds who are trying to correct that, if nothing else.

For what it's worth, I'm into the application of science (Engineering) but I don't think that contradicts much of what I've said.
The Beef Baron
Beako
(Oct 4, 2016 at 12:50 AM)Spritanium Wrote:
Kinda rude:
I would if I felt I was at less risk of being banned for accidentally saying or asking something that makes it look like I'm right-wing.

I just got home from school about an hour ago and I'm about 75% done with my response to Oracular's post (I'll have to finish it tomorrow; it's in a TXT file that's 16 kb so far) but I need to send a copy of it to MW Staff once it's finished before I post it to make sure it doesn't break MW Rules. (Every single sentence in my response so far ends in a question mark and I have zero idea how to re-articulate it or make sure it doesn't seem like I'm denying some of the things she's saying.) I don't see how it breaks MW rules but if a person can be racist without knowing it then maybe a person can break MW Rules without knowing it. Mind Blown

BTW I've been waiting to see Mario's dick in the Mario lore thread all day but I couldn't open the spoiler tag from my iPhone.

EDIT: Good pic
Two_Finger
is this thread not dead yet
God
(Oct 4, 2016 at 6:34 AM)Two_Finger Wrote: is this thread not dead yet

Hello Two_Finger, thanks for your contribution to this thread. Please refer to Renzo "The Renz" Kukenson's excellent guide on how to contribute positively to the forum before making Sean Jabroni-tier plays like this again.
God
(Oct 4, 2016 at 2:16 AM)Shroomguy Wrote: Ah, so it's what you're taking away from it that's important to you, right? (If I'm wrong correct me) I don't think I've heard that before, at least in relation to science. For me, the facts are relevant, prevalent, and observable in my day to day, but I try to keep that true of other "systems" that I'm a part of. I dig it though.

For me personally, I think it's an accurate paradigm and one that is compatible with other aspects of my life. Not without the flaws mentioned of excluding people but I think there are progressive minds who are trying to correct that, if nothing else.

For what it's worth, I'm into the application of science (Engineering) but I don't think that contradicts much of what I've said.

i guess it's what i'm taking away from it, yeah.

i think facts exist as part of an ideology where the external world is a definable, knowable, passive object that needs to be colonised by a totally separated internal mind that can verify its 'truths.' in mythological ideologies, the world is quite the opposite. it's undefinable, unknowable, and the individual co-exists within the world not as something external to it but as an agent actively engaging and changing its reality through her own subjectivity (in turn the world radically engages and changes the individual). when the world is viewed in this manner it's less about truths because truths essentially can't ever be 'known.' they can only be related to, and that can be said of things that aren't scientifically true, like for example communicating with non-animals. so it opens up a whole load of new things to explore that isn't possible with a strictly scientific worldview. i also think that for me at least, an objectivist scientific viewpoint inhibits or actively relegates the internal world (the mind, the subconscious etc.) because the internal world is incredibly hard to observe or know. this is a likely source of a lot of depression and negativity in our society.

applicaition of science is great! really looking forward to what the future holds. i am a science fiction writer, after all. but i also think its worth mentioning that a lot of things that science 'cures' are things that could have just not happened in the first place through living with more sustainable ideologies. e.g. sciento-capitalist regime wouldn't have to apply itself to global warming if we didn't have unsustainable consumer habits. economics wouldn't have to apply itself to poverty if we didn't live under capitalism. the medico-capitalist regime wouldn't have to apply itself so strongly to curing cancer if poor eating habits and poor lifestyle choices weren't valorised. of course, there are things that the application of science is great for the progression of humanity, like curing epidemics (notwithstanding the fact that a lot of epidemics are the direct result of illnesses introduced by colonisers), and science lets us know about a lot of things that perhaps wouldn't be possible any other way, or more difficult to point out, i,e. smoking is bad for unborn babies. but a world in which the application of science is seen as the only method by which humanity can progress is gravely limited.