Draku
this is actually a suggestion by @Spritanium so i'll quote his original writeup since he isn't at a computer to post it at the moment but i feel like it's a neat enough idea to post right now.

Spritanium Wrote:I propose we add a new option to the moderation menu in threads, allowing mods to toggle a new option called “Beef Mode”. This option can be turned on when a mod determines that a thread has reached (or is about to reach) shitstorm level. A strictly temporary setting, it should be turned back off when the thread has calmed down.

When a thread is in Beef Mode, the following modifiers apply (within the thread):
● All Spells will have their cost reduced by 50%.
● 2x EXP earned from Good Sh*ts
● Making a new post in this thread will cost 10 EXP (thread creator exempt)
● While any Beef Thread exists, 2x EXP boost for posting in non-beef threads

What I think this will do:
● Encourage the settlement of arguments using Spells rather than Bad Posts
● Keep arguments limited to a manageable, digestible size
● Reward users for enjoying all Minus World has to offer
[Shitstorms are always the center of activity whenever they’re occurring. This is bad because it lessens the whole forum experience - with Beef Mode we can allow the argument’s core participants to do their thing, while encouraging onlookers to earn extra EXP by posting elsewhere.]
● Encourage users to put thought into their posts - Good Posts within a Beef Thread can end up earning you massive EXP (even after the initial cost) due to the multiplier on Good Sh*ts. However, Bad Posts (as judged by the community) will result in a net loss.
[I’m judging this based on posts like this one of mine which contribute nothing but negativity and usually receive very few Good Sh*ts. Compare that to the post immediately following it, which lightens the mood and thus received 6 Good Sh*ts (in a Beef Thread this would result in a 14 EXP net gain). It’s been said before: our users appreciate positivity.]

Notes:
If this system is put into place, threads should only be locked when the OP explicitly requests it
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yoshin
I will say that I am all in favour of this idea
T-man
(Oct 4, 2016 at 7:38 PM)Yoshin Wrote: I will say that I am all in flavour of this beef
Drool
God
sounds good if Beef Mode also disables the Autocorrect spell.
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
T-man
(Oct 4, 2016 at 8:49 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: sounds good if Beef Mode also disables the Autocorrect spell.

That's honestly fair, or perhaps it has it's price raised dramatically.
Mario
[deleted]
God
also i was gonna post a Bad Post in this thread but i read @"Renzo "The Renz" Kukenson" 's announcement and the seven tenets of T.H.E. R.E.N.Z. guided me - thank you based Renz
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
Spritanium
Yeah autocorrect can be disabled in beef mode. Sorry about that.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
(Oct 4, 2016 at 8:52 PM)wtl Wrote:
(Oct 4, 2016 at 8:49 PM)OracularRELOADED Wrote: sounds good if Beef Mode also disables the Autocorrect spell.

yeah I'm thinking that spell in particular can go Beyond Beef

Oh come on, Autocorrect is easily the most popular spell and is near exclusively used lightheartedly and to great effect. We shouldn't just axe it because it's ambiguous nature was used for evil this time.

Or perhaps I've misinterpreted "go Beyond Beef"
Mario
[deleted]
God
(Oct 4, 2016 at 8:52 PM)wtl Wrote:

yeah I'm thinking that spell in particular can go Beyond Beef

i think as a Pizza spell it's really great, it's just that when it's used as a Salty spell it's probably the most OP spell in the meta right now and can easily be used to bully/harrass members. but it's not like we can just ramp up the XP cost because then that is unfair on the users who use it as a Pizza spell. if it's disabled whilst in Beef Mode - when it's most likely to be used as a Salty spell - it would help to balance it out a lot more.
T-man
(Oct 4, 2016 at 8:59 PM)wtl Wrote:
(Oct 4, 2016 at 8:57 PM)T-man Wrote:
(Oct 4, 2016 at 8:52 PM)wtl Wrote: yeah I'm thinking that spell in particular can go Beyond Beef

Oh come on, Autocorrect is easily the most popular spell and is near exclusively used lightheartedly and to great effect. We shouldn't just axe it because it's ambiguous nature was used for evil this time.

oh I don't mean I want it removed outside of Beef Mode, just that the spell in particular has more potential to escalate trouble than wash it down

Oh okay, phew. I think we can all agree to that.
Mario
[deleted]
Renzo "The Renz" Kukenson
This suggestion is entirely INCREDIBLE! Wow!! I'm very impressed with how creative this suggested solution came about after our brief period of negativity. Spritey, very well done, my friend. What I may be MOST impressed about this suggestion, however, is how it follows THE RENZ System. As in all things, we ought to be mindful of its possible negative applications, but I think this is a concrete solution to resolve conflict and promote positivity overall in the MW Universe. I definitely want to know what everyone else thinks on this! Happy

Impressedly,
Renzo Kukenson
Shedinja
nice damage control method. i applaud
[Image: vI6LrbC.gif]
Two_Finger
sounds worth a shot
God
i don't actually really think the suggested changes will Change beefs in any way tbh. thinking that people will settle arguments with spells rather than, you know, actually expressing their opinions is a bit silly. that's just not how beef works, and it certainly isn't what's best for business. and beefs shouldn't be seen as negative experiences, they're extremely positive. everyone has the opportunity to improve whenever the Minus World Cafeteria serves beef. if the goal of Beef Mode is to try to inhibit beef, it will _always_ backfire because the beefeaters won't be satisfied with the cut-down on the beef portion. we only need to point to MW's history to see numerous occasions where beef prohibition fails spectacularly. As the old adage goes, "The Beef Must Be Eaten."
God
i mean i still like the idea but if the Old Guard thinks it is in any way a good countermeasure to Beef then there isn't really much point in implementing it
Spritanium
My idea isn't to prevent Beef, but to make sure people think carefully about their posts during heated discussions to make the whole experience more fruitful. People will discuss whatever they want to, which is a good thing, but hopefully with this system Beefs will be allowed to flourish without anyone's responses getting out of hand.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
T-man
(Oct 5, 2016 at 12:43 AM)Spritanium Wrote: My idea isn't to prevent Beef, but to make sure people think carefully about their posts during heated discussions to make the whole experience more fruitful. People will discuss whatever they want to, which is a good thing, but hopefully with this system Beefs will be allowed to flourish without anyone's responses getting out of hand.
smart af tbh