Ciel
I present the, now partially uncensored, Anomalous Energy Report - Categorizing the Unknown document I possess
Izumi Konata
I'll reiterate all the lore stuff I have here in one post so it's easier to be found
Show off the Liturgy and You memo, as well as the Underground Tunnel Investigation audio log.
And also bring the big dvd player-looking device in my room to the meeting room and hook it up the projector, then play the crystal disc in my possession, as well as show off the report associated with them
Spooks?
(Mar 25, 2024 at 3:28 AM)Columbo Wrote: One more thing... lets see, I've got them around here somewhere. Right, here they are. Is this the Anomalous Energy Report 65-B and Anomalous Energy Report 66-B you were looking for, miss Nashu?
You present the first of two files...

Quote:
[[Anomalous Energy Report 65-B - Esotera Aspects and Interactions]]

The energy we refer to as Esotera has been found to primarily come in seven different forms, each with their own unique traits and interactions. These will be referred to as “Aspects” for the purpose of this document. By and large, most Esotera Aspects can function together in various combinations to produce unique effects in a way similar to chemistry, however each type is likewise known to cause a violent reaction when in contact with a specific other Aspect that acts as an antagonist.

The following is a list of Esotera Aspects, as well as their corresponding antagonist:

Telluric Esotera / _________ Esotera
Thalassic Esotera / _________ Esotera
Occultic Esotera / __________ Esotera

Chaotic Esotera is unique in that it lacks an antagonistic Aspect, being an Unaspected form of Esotera in and of itself.

It has been observed that Aspected Esotera is capable of “flipping” under certain circumstances, transforming into its antagonistic Esotera Aspect. The mechanism for this occurring is unknown.

You present a second report, seemingly related to the first.

Quote:
[Anomalous Energy Report 66-B - Historical Decline of Esotera Levels]

Despite the relative lack of ability to utilize the limited amount of Esotera currently within the human soul, it is believed that at one time, the human soul was more dense with Chaotic Esotera, and therefore humanity was capable of manipulating it in various forms. It is likely that this is the basis of historical accounts of magic.

The decline of Esotera in humanity over time is unknown, but it is theorized that it could be linked to the original form of a disease currently known as [REDACTED], which is uniquely capable of draining the soul. The writings of [REDACTED] indicate that an event of this sort may have occurred thousands of years ago - a possible origin point for the decline of Esotera levels.

_________ and _________ practices have remained the only consistent way for humanity to harness these powers, though neither of the resulting forms of Esotera occur in the _________ world.

(Mar 25, 2024 at 3:31 AM)Ciel Wrote: I present the, now partially uncensored, Anomalous Energy Report - Categorizing the Unknown document I possess
You present a document... now with a redaction removed in a way very similar to how Bradimir would do it. Well, if he ever actually bothered to, anyway.

Quote:
Anomalous Energy Report - Categorizing the Unknown

Through researching Anomalies across our various facilities, we have been able to isolate the source of their mysterious traits. Though some would refer to it as “Magic”, or simply “Supernatural power”, we have decided instead to label this energy as Esotera, a term devised by Director Sinclair

Esotera comes in various forms, occurring most commonly around instances of the ritualistic practice known as [REDACTED], though it occurs in nature as well, albeit with far less frequency with no clear origin in the latter case. An Anomaly is believed to occur when large amounts of Esotera are concentrated in a single place, object, or living being - though all creatures contain amounts of Esotera, commonly referred to as the “Soul”.

Currently, we have isolated seven forms of pure Esotera, each with unique traits, origins, and interactions - not unlike elements on the periodic table.

• Liturgic
  • Somatic
  • Thalassic
  • Stellaric
  • Chaotic
  • Telluric
  • Occultic

For more information, please reference [Anomalous Energy Report 65-B - Esotera Aspects and Interactions] and [Anomalous Energy Report 66-B - Historical Decline of Esotera Levels]
Dodo
[Image: fcfc58b4d014c0359bfdb5dc60493c29b03346cd.gifv]

Sigh.

COLUMBO DETECTIVE.

[Image: dcb3cdab26c56e434d7906a4a04e2a4e1bb2b92d.gifv]

I HAVE TO BE HONEST. I INITIALLY DID NOT EXPECT MUCH FROM AN ALLIANCE WITH A HUMAN.

BUT YOU HAVE FOUGHT BRAVELY, HONORABLY, AND FIERCELY BY MY SIDE.
YOU ARE A CREDIT TO YOUR SPECIES.

YOUR ATYPICAL TRUTHFULNESS HAS TAUGHT ME SOMETHING TONIGHT.
MISTRUST, THOUGH USUALLY WELL-FOUNDED WHEN DEALING WITH YOUR KIND, WILL NOT HELP US WIN AGAINST OUR CAPTORS. WE MUST COMBINE OUR STRENGTH TO PREVAIL AGAINST THEM.

ALLOW ME THUS, TO BE TRUTHFUL TO YOU AS WELL.

[Image: d1a73b64e90a6db9af50c1aa290245c7f12b0934.gifv]

I HAVE A CONFESSION TO MAKE.
I DO NOT POSSESS THE POWER TO REVEAL INFORMATION FROM TAMPERED DOCUMENTS. I NEVER HAVE.

IN TRUTH, THIS WAS A FABRICATION.
FEARING THE INSATIABLE THIRST FOR CRUELTY FROM MANKIND, I HAVE FABRICATED A POWER THAT DOES NOT EXIST.
ALL SO YOU WOULD BE FOOLED INTO PERCEIVING ME AS AN ASSET AND GRANTING ME MERCY.

THE REALITY OF THE SITUATION IS THAT I AM THE ONE WHO HAS PLACED THESE MARKINGS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

[Image: dcb3cdab26c56e434d7906a4a04e2a4e1bb2b92d.gifv]

BUT OBSERVING THE WAY WE HAVE FOUGHT TOGETHER,
AND BLED SIDE BY SIDE AS BROTHERS, I NOW DEEM THIS PRECAUTION OBSOLETE.

I WISH FOR YOU, AND ME, AND US, TO USE THIS KNOWLEDGE.
TO FIGHT AGAINST THE TRUE ARCHITECTS OF OUR COLLECTIVE MISERY.

THIS IS MY GRATITUDE TO YOU. HUMAN AMONG HUMANS.
I PRAY THAT YOUR KIND WILL NOT BREAK THIS NEWFOUND TRUST.

[Image: e3b6ec3ee15da1543564ddcfe01e08659fc3ea1f.gifv]

BY THE RIGHT AND POWERS VESTED IN ME AS THE TRUE KEEPER OF KNOWLEDGE, PRETENDERS TO THE TITLE NOTWITHSTANDING, I HEREBY RELEASE ALL REDACTION MARKERS THAT ARE CURRENTLY IN EFFECT.
Spooks?
(Mar 25, 2024 at 3:27 AM)Nashu Mhakaracca Wrote: I'd like to present my other two files as well, the Shadow Plague and Black Scribe ones.

Also, check for keycard breakers in Counterterrorism. Would the Bureau really leave those around unguarded, giving access to anywhere in the facility?
You present two files - one looking like a Bureau File, and the other looking somewhat older.

You present the Bureau File first...

Quote:
[Report: 43-B: Historical Records of “Shadow Plague”]

The Crimson Eye are commonly seen deploying a disease known colloquially as "Shadow Plague" during their operations, a disease with unique properties known for siphoning Esotera away from the infected to empower a "Patient Zero", engineered to allow for proper synchronization while leaving victims alive and merely helpless. It is believed that this variant of the disease was developed by Dr. [REDACTED] during her tenure with [DATA EXPUNGED].

Historical accounts of the "Shadow Plague" in other forms however, date as far back as [REDACTED], with ancient records originating primarily from the Qstia region (though stories of similar illnesses also originate from the Americas) describing a great plague that "consumed the soul" without restraint, killing the afflicted in nearly all cases . While "Shadow Plague" remains the translation of the primary title used to describe the illness (likely the source of the engineered strain's name), other titles used to describe the virus include the "Soul's Bane" and the "Scribe's Pestilence".

It is believed that the Occultic mechanisms behind the Shadow Plague's modern functionality were present in the ancient strain as well, though far more brutal and indiscriminate in their workings to a degree where it is currently believed to be the downfall of several ancient societies across history. The true origin of this disease, as well as the Occultic power it was imbued with is unknown, however it is theorized that much like the modern iteration, the ancient form of Shadow Plague originated as a form of engineered weapons.

Then, you present your remaining file. An old page, rather worn down and hand written.

Quote:
[Tale of the Black Scribe]

In times before time, man was prosperous and eternal.
Stewards of the earth, man was bestowed mastery over its wonders.
We held the power of magic in our grasp and with it, weaved fortune across the land.

Our creativity, kept alive by our dreams.
Our fates, guided by the path written in the stars.
Our wills ,tempered by the weight of the depths.
Our bodies, protected by the blood of the earth.
All together, from chaos emerged life and prosperity.

Yet, the resplendent light breeds the darkest shadow.
One man was born without light, the flame of magic extinguished in the womb.
Though he was loved as any other in paradise, he bore witness to wonders just barely beyond his grasp.
And so, in magic's place, the flame of ambition began to burn bright.

Devoted to study, he sought to understand the workings of the esoteric.
The wonders he witnessed, described in cold detail.
Every miracle, broken down to its core.
And with each observation, another stroke of the quill.
Another symbol, an inscrutable marking upon the page
The tome grew larger.

Within the Scribe's study, the Occult was born.

With the knowledge inscribed within the Codex, the Scribe set out.
Studying society's workings had brought him his salvation, and he had hoped to return it.
A new school of magic, one born of knowledge and the self.
Yet by most, he was turned away. A blasphemer, they claimed.
He had gone against the natural order, corrupted it with the new, the unknown.
He had eaten from the tree of knowledge, and thus he was shunned, branded a heretic.
The flame of ambition was kindled by hate.

Within the Scribe's study, the Occult was forever stained.

None could say from whence the Great Plague came, but it swept through the cities as a flood.
Those who turned away from the Occult were the first to pass, the Plague gnawing at their magics hungrily.
With each body turned to the grave, so too did the Scribe grow stronger.
Slowly, the magic was drained from man's being, consumed by the Scribe's hunger.
Even those who survived the Plague found themselves unable to foster the magics they knew.

Gorged upon the world's magic the Scribe had begun to change.
The body was not intended to harbor such power.
His flesh ruptured and darkness spilled forth. A mockery of life.

Long claws, to seize his ambition.
A thousand eyes, to inscribe all fates.
Vast wings, to taunt those still within the depths.
Eternal life, unshackled from the earth.
All together, not in bountiful chaos, but wrapped in boundless dark.
Mere puppets, dangling from their blackened strings.

A reflection of his self, his towering shadow was cast across the land.
Those who had survived became his followers, slavish devotees to the teachings of the occult.
Desperate to recapture even a sliver of their former world.

Yet in shadow, light too begins to emerge.
By sharing his teachings with those who followed, the Scribe had marked his end.
For magic worked in many ways, and some... had yet to be explored.
Those who conspired against him worked in secret, amassing followers of their own.
Willingly, rather than by Occultic force, they poured the lingering vestiges of the soul into a solution.
The hopes, their dreams... The iron-clad faith of a world suppressed.
All towards a weapon to counter the Scribe's dark power.

They turned upon the Scribe, their weapon struck true.
The Scribe fell, his soul sundered in two - too powerful for true destruction.
A shard was left with his accursed book, tethered to its pages.
The remainder was sealed beneath our land, in a prison of crystal. Never to be uncovered by man.
Those who still clung to his teachings were banished across the sea, the vile Codex with them.
Wherever they found themselves, it is not known.

The weapon, the one to slay the scribe, was deemed too dangerous to remain.
Its wielder, ever merciful, took himself into exile as well.
A remnant of such times would never serve a peaceful world.

After a time, normalcy returned.
Generations passed, and for many, the Tale of the Black Scribe became myth.
A name to be spoken in hushed tones by children.
Yet the Scribe's curse forever remained.

Magic would never return to mankind's hands.

(Mar 25, 2024 at 3:30 AM)Phenera Wrote: Oh, is it lore-presenting time? Present Traveler's Journal's fifth page.

You present another page from the Traveler's Journal. A familiar old thing, at this point.

Quote:
[Traveler’s Journal (English Translation) - pg. 5]

And thus, I find myself back upon the waves - though with a new captain and crew. Far less talkative, our relationship a simple transaction of coin for passage. As I sit upon the moonlit deck once more, I find myself without a companion this time. Alas, in the absence of dialogue, I have found solace in simply staring into the depths of the sea.

I find myself wondering, just what it may be like down there in the deepest trenches. The water, bearing down upon you... That sort of pressure, why it'd destroy me surely.

Yet, I find myself at peace, watching the waves lap upon my vessel's sides. Perhaps in the depths too, there is quiet and calm, forged in tandem by the deep pressure and those creatures who can still withstand it. Haha, perhaps I'm not so different from them. It was my very own, self-imposed pressure that set me off on this journey to begin with. WIllpower, determination... all forms of pressure, in the end.

Perhaps if I did find myself in the abyssal depths, I'd be able to withstand it after all...

...Well, I'd best not send myself overboard with those thoughts. Time to exercise another form of pressure, and force myself to sit somewhere else for a while. Yet, I believe my ponderings to be fruitful. There is a magic to the depths, to the pressure we endure and exert - to the people we become at the end of it all.

Thalassic, I believe I'll call it. Maybe one day, we'll all find our depths.
Spooks?
(Mar 25, 2024 at 3:21 AM)Giffany Wrote: I would also like to present my occultic esotera file for everyone!
You present a file on Occultic Esotera and its potential applications...

Quote:
[Report: Occultic Esotera & Potential Applications]

While Occultic practices are often associated with malignant purpose, the ability to reconstitute the energy of one’s own soul and manifest Anomalous abilities and occurrences by utilizing rituals and symbology shows potential in general application.

While the Crimson Eye and previously the XW Corporation have been known to utilize these practices in creating weapons with Anomalous traits and abilities, with deeper knowledge of Occultic symbology the mechanisms for such manifestation may be applied to clothing, concealable items, or even applied directly to the body via tattoo.

Despite the promise shown by initial testing data gathered after providing prototype Occultic tools provided to unknowing recruits in the [REDACTED] Operation (See: Abyss File), care must be taken by those utilizing these practices. It has been observed that overuse will result in significant decay of the soul’s Esotera, without either a means to replenish it or the time required for it to replenish itself naturally.
Spooks?
(Mar 25, 2024 at 3:32 AM)Izumi Konata Wrote: I'll reiterate all the lore stuff I have here in one post so it's easier to be found
Show off the Liturgy and You memo, as well as the Underground Tunnel Investigation audio log.
And also bring the big dvd player-looking device in my room to the meeting room and hook it up the projector, then play the crystal disc in my possession, as well as show off the report associated with them

First, you show off a memo. It appears to be about Liturgical stuff and Liturgical things.

Quote:
[Memo: Liturgy & You]

REMINDER: “Liturgy”, while frequently associated with religious ideologies, can spawn from any form of worship or actions that could be construed as prayer, even without strictly religious intent. In the modern age, Liturgic occurrences more frequently manifest around celebrities, [REDACTED], and public figures.

These occurrences tend to be small-scale, and very rarely result in proper anomalous manifestation. More commonly, the resulting phenomena tends to manifest in the form of increased latent crowd energy during an event, or a compulsion to spread word of the “worship” target.

When attempting to secure and contain a Liturgic entity, remember: Liturgy exists in various, sometimes unconventional forms.

Next, you retrieve another small audio recording. Unlike the last one, the speaker seems to work fine on this one, so you play it loud and clear...

Quote:This is uh… still September 9th, 2008. I’m Agent Sinclair, with the… Actually, never mind. I’ll skip the introduction. Probably gonna bundle this one and the last one together when I submit it for evidence.

Anyway, we’re… down here in these tunnels. It’s roomier than expected, you can comfortably stand up here, at least. From our entry point above, the tunnels headed off in two directions, north and west, but it’s collapsed on one side, so further exploration there wasn’t an option. The other path was wide open though, so that’s the route we took. Heading… north. Been walking for a while now, no sign of any changes.

It’s been half an hour. Literally, I have a watch.. We’ve been walking through this tunnel for half an hour. Where the hell are we going? I can’t see shit down here, at least let me have the flashlight for a bit.

Hm. If you were right and this really is a bootlegger’s tunnel, based on the direction… I’d say it probably connects to the mines eventually, at least if your old map is accurate. Or maybe... somewhere out in the forest. Maybe an old moonshiner’s shack. Either way.

And no. You should’ve brought your own.

Yeah, well I didn’t exactly expect to be re-enacting The Descent today. Now all we need is a cave mutant or three, and we’re set.

Now, don’t say that. I think my daughter would kill me if I let myself get eaten by a cave mutant. Anyway, this thing’s bound to end eventually, as fun as an endless tunnel would be.

It’d better. I don’t have any goddamn signal down here, and Roxy’s supposed to call me when she’s done.

I’m sure she can wait a couple hours.

Oh, she can, but I’m the one who has to deal with her after making her wait for those couple hours.

Wait, hold that though. I think I see something.

Cave mutant?

No, not a- shut up. I'm still recording, I have to describe this. Technically it's evidence.

Uh, Okay. Disregard the previous conversation. Resuming investigation.

After about... 30 minutes or so down the north passage, there's a split in the tunnel. A second branch seems to head off... vaguely eastward. The eastern tunnel's got more of a slope to it - this one's mostly been straight. We only have one light, so we're continuing north. If the last branching path was right around the entry point though, that might mean that...

Ah! There, on the ceiling. Another grate!

Oh, fucking finally, the exit...

Well, one exit anyway. Maybe we can use this as an entry point, explore the other pathway later without having to listen to you whine the whole way back here

If we really are under the woods though, where does this… actually go?

Just have to get this thing out of the way, and I guess we’ll find out. Help me with this for a sec…

The audio log ends, and Konata pulls a strange machine from her room, resembling a DVD player. She takes it to the Meeting Room and plugs it into the projector. Before doing anything with it, she presents another document, presumably to explain what it does.

Quote:
[Report - Chronodisks]

An evolution of the Flashback [REDACTED] technology, utilizing our knowledge of Esotera and the human soul, the Bureau of Paranormal Investigation has produced "Chronodisks", small, disc-like storage devices capable of storing a vision directly ripped from the memories of others.

Upon playing a Chronodisk in the proper media player, subjects may notice the following symptoms: nausea, dissociation, and periodic fainting. Viewers will, however, be able to view the memories of a past event with 100% accuracy.

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EXTRACT CHRONODISK MEMORIES FROM THE DECEASED, CORRUPTED CHRONODISKS ARE KNOWN TO CAUSE SYMPTOMS RANGING FROM BLINDNESS TO COMA.

Konata puts the document away, finally producing the crystal disc she’s held onto for… entirely too long now. She places it into the machine, and the projector hums gently as an image springs to life on the screen.

Quote:
[Chronodisk - Langley Residence Preliminary Investigation]

“Augh!”

The sheriff - a short, rather piggish old fellow, covered his nose and mouth, nearly suffocating himself with his sleeve as his eyes wrenched shut at the sight.

The body, for that was now all that it was, having decomposed long past the point of recognition, lay slouched over in a brown armchair in the middle of a blood-splattered living room. The TV, still playing its scheduled programming as though there was nothing out of the ordinary.

The two men accompanying the officer shared a glance, before one - a tall, dark-haired man, stepped forward, placing a hand on the quivering sheriff’s shoulder. “Alright, calm down,” the man said softly.

“I-I’m sorry. It’s just… this is worse than the others. I ain’t seen anything like this before.”

The man lifted his hand from the sheriff’s shoulder, returning it to his pocket. “I understand. It looks like he’s been like this for at least a couple weeks. Not a pretty sight. Go get some fresh air, we’ll take it from here. Head back to the station for now. Bring whoever you can, and let’s get this scene taped off.” The sheriff nodded fervently, before scampering out the door like a scared animal. The man shook his head, looking back in the body’s direction. Cloudy, lifeless eyes stared back, returning none of the curiosity it was afforded.

The second man, his hair white as snow despite his young age, eyed the blood-splattered TV. Some show about a teenage ghost hunter. He reached for the remote on the nearby coffee table.

“Hey!” The dark-haired man called out. “Don’t touch that. That’s tampering with the scene. Besides, I think this guy has more to worry about than his power bill. Just leave it.”

“Whoa, okay. Okay.” He withdrew his arm. “Won’t touch that.”

“Good. This might be our best shot yet at getting something meaningful. Public places are one thing, but we’re unlikely to find much cross-contamination in his own house.”

“Oh yeah, you know that reminds me. Who the hell is this guy anyway?”

The dark haired man leaned further down, craning his neck to get a proper look at the symbols carved into the body’s abdomen without having to resort to repositioning the decaying corpse. “Well, according to the sheriff, the house belongs to one Mr. Arthur Langley. Used to be a columnist with the local paper. Wrote about weird rumors, supernatural occurrences, weird stuff people wrote in about, things like that. Pretty reclusive guy. Only found him because his brother called in a wellness check.”

He stood back up, taking a couple steps away from the body. “Kind of ironic, guy would’ve loved writing about this exact case. Mysterious deaths across the town, ancient symbology and whatever a ‘Black Scribe’ is… Would’ve been right up his alley.”

The sound of sirens outside signaled the arrival of the rest of Whisper Valley’s paltry police force. The dark-haired man pulled a phone from his jacket pocket, tossing it towards his colleague, who catches it with a puzzled expression. The dark-haired man motioned towards the doorway. “I’m gonna go brief the crime scene guys. Here, call the coroner’s office for me. Fifth in my contacts. Fill them in, let them know what’s going on. Let’s get this body moved out of here, get a proper autopsy.”

The white-haired man frowned as his associate left him alone in the room with only the victim for company. He made the call, raising the phone to his ear as it rang. Once, twice… on the third ring, they picked up.

“Uh, hello? This is an emergency. I need to talk to the coroner, I’m calling on behalf of Agent Si-”

His frown turned to a scowl, his eyes rolling.

“Yeah… I can hold…”