Fun With Despair
(Nov 20, 2016 at 12:52 AM)G-Cat Wrote:
(Nov 20, 2016 at 12:48 AM)JoshJDubya Wrote:
(Nov 20, 2016 at 12:47 AM)G-Cat Wrote: as official qc rep i can inform you all that this is a load of horseshit

See the game in question for reference.
>what is a joke game

>what is vinny meme magic

who knows more about what goes behind the scenes. you or M E, fam?
>joke game
it's onpon

i don't need to say more.
Elyk
(Nov 20, 2016 at 12:47 AM)G-Cat Wrote:
(Nov 20, 2016 at 12:45 AM)JoshJDubya Wrote: I think the rules have always been lax on it, like as long as something from Mario is in your game, unless it's absolutely unplayable they don't give a shit.
as official qc rep i can inform you all that this is a load of horseshit
As a former QC guy, no it isn't. I was told to accept anything that isn't unplayable and did so. There was a ton of garbage that I accepted but it's up to the reviewers to give the game a bad score if it is bad. "Quality Control" doesn't really have the job of controlling quality, it's more about keeping completely unplayable or dangerous things off of the site. Maybe they've changed since I left but that's how it was.
(Nov 20, 2016 at 12:49 AM)JoshJDubya Wrote: Also see my own game submission from years ago for additional reference:

http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&...=2&id=1602
I love the comments.
Fun With Despair
i need to stop making threads
Elyk
hello?
Mario
[deleted]
kaZaam
i cant be mad/disappointed with mfgg. gave me way too much inspiration as a kid
AWFADragNaut
(Nov 20, 2016 at 3:30 AM)Kazaam Wrote: i cant be mad/disappointed with mfgg. gave me way too much inspiration as a kid

Kind of in the same boat.

It was amazing at the time I joined, and honestly probably the best first sense of any online interaction I could have possibly had. But I likely wouldn't last long there now. Minus World is like a weird evolution. Some of the same people but I guess everyone has matured that little bit more to create what Minus World is that MFGG now lacks. And that ain't because its themed around Mario either, I still love mario games; maybe all the more now.
I think it's cool that it's still alive and even better that people are actively making fangames; garbage or not, it takes time and skill to code a functioning game and I wish I had that motivation back when i was shitposting there.

still. fuck black squirrel if he still posts there
Spritanium
(Nov 21, 2016 at 12:26 PM)AWFADragNaut Wrote:
(Nov 20, 2016 at 3:30 AM)Kazaam Wrote: i cant be mad/disappointed with mfgg. gave me way too much inspiration as a kid

It was amazing at the time I joined, and honestly probably the best first sense of any online interaction I could have possibly had. But I likely wouldn't last long there now. Minus World is like a weird evolution. Some of the same people but I guess everyone has matured that little bit more to create what Minus World is that MFGG now lacks. And that ain't because its themed around Mario either, I still love mario games; maybe all the more now.

Hit the nail on the head - when I go to MFGG now it's like the maturity of the userbase is at Club Penguin levels.

And that's fine. It took years for me to understand why 07ers, 08ers, and 09ers were each more cringeworthy than the last: it's because they were kids stumbling upon something new, just as I had been in 2005. MFGG is very child-centric, we just never noticed back then because we were kids ourselves. But the maturity disconnect between a 9- and a 14-year-old is extreme, which led to a confusing transition period in which we felt like MFGG was being taken over by idiots.

It's still a great site for what it is, and it makes me very happy that kids still want to make Mario fangames, _especially_ in a world where Mario Maker would let them do something similar for much less effort. I mean imagine if MFGG was dead right now instead, the Mario fangaming scene gone alongside it. That would just be depressing - I much prefer the window-into-the-past situation they have going on right now.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
mit
honestly it bothers me that newmfgg's mod staff is mostly comprised of oldbies, which is fine ultimately, but when each new mod appointment is "application"-based it kinda defeats the purpose

i wish it in general was more resourceful. compared to sonic fangaming and hacking mario fanworks pale in comparison. i get letting people make what they want, but making mario advance 4 engine after mario advance 4 engine won't teach anyone much. itd be cooler if simply all of the inner workings of that mario gameplay was documented, like a study guide. it feels like no newbie (both from when newmfgg really started and now) really gets past those SMAS baby steps.

i also have more personal gripes with the new staff and the users they like to hang around but i'll save that for another time.
[Image: 13a3785a5b.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: fef8774bcc.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: f5cb2d4fad.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: b7385c9f62.png]
T-man
nintendo stamps out anything good so a lot of people dont give a fuck about mario fan games
mit
see thats the thing, both major things they stopped were either remakes or games already incredibly similar to the original IP (though even game freak seems to have a hard time making pokemon fresh) so i wonder what making a mario fangame with totally original gameplay concepts would do.

thats honestly a part of newmfgg's issue, i think they encourage you "doing what you want" (which is to say making SMAS mario games) but once you hit that point of originality they question why you don't bother just making an indie game. it's not wrong, but it's sure as hell counterproductive
[Image: 13a3785a5b.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: fef8774bcc.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: f5cb2d4fad.png] [Image: 589794956a.png] [Image: b7385c9f62.png]
Spritanium
(Nov 22, 2016 at 9:43 PM)T-man Wrote: nintendo stamps out anything good so a lot of people dont give a fuck about mario fan games
Don't even think about making it 3D, or they'll take it down in a week. Their pettiness knows no bounds
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Draku
(Nov 22, 2016 at 10:23 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Nov 22, 2016 at 9:43 PM)T-man Wrote: nintendo stamps out anything good so a lot of people dont give a fuck about mario fan games
Don't even think about making it 3D, or they'll take it down in a week. Their pettiness knows no bounds
They already created and own the entire mario 3d world.

dont even think about trying to establish even a mario 3d city state fucker
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
God
has the MFGG fanbase made a simulator for Mario's Cock yet
"If Your Plate Doesn't Have Any Beef On It, Send It Back To The Hecking Cafeteria!!!" - OracularRELOADED
ProtoTroid-13
(Nov 22, 2016 at 6:26 PM)Spritanium Wrote:
(Nov 21, 2016 at 12:26 PM)AWFADragNaut Wrote:

Hit the nail on the head - when I go to MFGG now it's like the maturity of the userbase is at Club Penguin levels.

And that's fine. It took years for me to understand why 07ers, 08ers, and 09ers were each more cringeworthy than the last: it's because they were kids stumbling upon something new, just as I had been in 2005. MFGG is very child-centric, we just never noticed back then because we were kids ourselves. But the maturity disconnect between a 9- and a 14-year-old is extreme, which led to a confusing transition period in which we felt like MFGG was being taken over by idiots.

It's still a great site for what it is, and it makes me very happy that kids still want to make Mario fangames, _especially_ in a world where Mario Maker would let them do something similar for much less effort. I mean imagine if MFGG was dead right now instead, the Mario fangaming scene gone alongside it. That would just be depressing - I much prefer the window-into-the-past situation they have going on right now.
I remember when I first joined MFGG. Oh god, the memories...I kind of want to punch my past self, sometimes. But MFGG's userbase is in the same position. Yeah, the quality control seems to have gone downhill--pretty much nonexistant, now--but I guess I would rather have these new kids with potential to do more than have absolutely nothing.