Draku
(Nov 27, 2016 at 2:00 AM)Yrr Wrote: yoshi's island is the best mario game
YI is really, really good. I still prefer SMW as far as 2D entries go but it's definitely up there.

(Nov 27, 2016 at 1:59 AM)Fun With Despair Wrote:
(Nov 27, 2016 at 1:48 AM)T-man Wrote: yeah mario world is unfinished according to miyamoto but is the best 2d mario
>best

the level variety makes SMB3 way more fun to replay for me

unfinished or not, getting to the fucking sky is way more hype than grassland number 4
See SMB3 technically has more level variety but I feel like the actual aesthetic behind everything is terribly boring, and I was under that belief even in the years before Nintendo thoroughly drove SMB3 copying into the ground repeatedly

SMW has less variety but what is there is a lot more pleasing to look at and unique
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Yrrzy
also i think smw's graphics are ugly as fuck
kaZaam
ya they are
T-man
i think it's charming
[Image: daf562de61bcf5bb948792b447f1f15e.gif]
Yrrzy
[Image: 727.jpg]
kaZaam
mario64 is def the most aesthetic
Spritanium
Another unpopular one: it's entirely possible for graphics to be more important than gameplay, some games are more about having an experience and visual design is the most important part of that
Spritanium
Good graphics can make a bad game fun anyway
Spritanium
Oh here's one

Freemium is a brilliant pricing model and the proof is in the pudding. If developers would make their base games suck less by default, then the idea of paying extra for new features is completely reasonable.
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Endgame
I've always struggled to enjoy open world games because a lot of them fail to really excel at anything other than traversing a big area. I get the appeal but they're just kinda "meh" for me.
T-man
(Nov 27, 2016 at 3:51 AM)Spritanium Wrote: Oh here's one

Freemium is a brilliant pricing model and the proof is in the pudding. If developers would make their base games suck less by default, then the idea of paying extra for new features is completely reasonable.

Freemium is actually bullshit. Most developers can't stop themselves from making what is essentially a money milking machine instead of a game. Microtransactions in paid titles are a much more worthwhile endeavor because the people who are actually dumb kind enough buy polygonal goodies are footing the bill for the continued development of the game for everyone. It's far better than map packs or whatever fracturing the playerbase.
T-man
Here's one, in my opinion LittleBigPlanet has the best DLC model of any video game ever created.

For those of you who don't know, LittleBigPlanet sells costumes and level packs as downloadable content. These costumes can come with individual pieces that can be mixed and matched to your hearts content; while level packs come with a whole assortment of new stickers, decorations, and even game mechanics to play around with. That all sounds like standard stuff, but what sets LittleBigPlanet apart is that, thus far, all DLC from the previous entries in the series has been compatible with the next. This has allowed me to bring all my collectables with me in each iteration of the game which is something I appreciate immensely. And as a result I've forked over my fair share of cash for DLC.

[Image: N3SSJ0N.png]

Doubt that's an unpopular opinion but these games don't get talked about much and it's a practice that's worthy of praise.
Endgame
Oh yeah that's actually another kinda unpopular opinion of mine, I thought LBP3 was really great (better than 1 and maybe 2), but it was kind of just ignored compared to 1 and 2's reception
T-man
(Nov 27, 2016 at 7:45 PM)Endgame Wrote: Oh yeah that's actually another kinda unpopular opinion of mine, I thought LBP3 was really great (better than 1 and maybe 2), but it was kind of just ignored compared to 1 and 2's reception

This too. LBP3 is a great game and a worthy upgrade from 2. I suppose that isn't as immediately apparent if you aren't familiar with the creation suite, but LBP3 added a lot of great shit. The story mode, while woefully short, is an enjoyable time as well.

They also improved the gameplay immeasurably, feels much better. Go back and play an LBP2 level and the difference is night and day.
Beako
(Nov 27, 2016 at 2:10 AM)T-man Wrote: i think it's charming
[Image: daf562de61bcf5bb948792b447f1f15e.gif]

SUPER MARIO WORLD IS A SCARY GAME
T-man
(Nov 27, 2016 at 8:17 PM)Puddin Wrote: SUPER MARIO WORLD IS A SCARY GAME
[Image: aad3f8b130757cebe688a671e8f46733.jpg]
Draku
(Nov 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM)T-man Wrote:

Freemium is actually bullshit. Most developers can't stop themselves from making what is essentially a money milking machine instead of a game. Microtransactions in paid titles are a much more worthwhile endeavor because the people who are actually dumb kind enough buy polygonal goodies are footing the bill for the continued development of the game for everyone. It's far better than map packs or whatever fracturing the playerbase.
Yeah, this. Freemium is almost always exploited and it will do nothing but create a gutted game that you will never be able to play a "true" version of because you'll always be held back by the features intended to keep people paying. The best version of this sort of thing is a free base game that has a one-time purchase fee that unlocks the full version, but that's not freemium anymore.

(Nov 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM)T-man Wrote: all DLC from the previous entries in the series has been compatible with the next.
This is a pretty cool, I've seen that a couple times (Like Tales of Xillia DLC being compatible with ToX2). It's not always something so easy to implement though, but I feel like this should be more regular with stuff like cosmetics.
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Fun With Despair
(Nov 27, 2016 at 7:16 PM)T-man Wrote:

Best pricing model for online multiplayer is monthy subscriptions assuming they add enough content regularly to to keep every month feeling fresh.

If a game is free, costs $10 a month to play, but as a result gets a constant content flow that gives me 10+ hours every month, i'll fuckin pay
Aidan

Killer Instinct uses the freemium model and back when it was a good game the pricing made a lot of sense
buy characters you like, and there's a free one every week so you can eventually try them all
you can also just pay 20 bux and get a whole season as a complete game so that's nice
CHESHIRE ☯
-Kingdom Hearts makes perfect sense, and at times can even be predictable in it's narrative.
-Chrono Cross is leaps and bounds superior to Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross is a coherent and faithful sequel.
-Final Fantasy VII is the worst Final Fantasy game, despite having a solid cast of characters
-Einhänder was the best game Square ever made.
-EX-Troopers will forever be the last good CAPCOM game.
-VMUs need to come back.