kaZaam
i think lowpoly 3d is kinda untapped. i wanna see more of it
[Image: nIMDSBE.png]
T-man
Now, now,

Low-poly is a e s t h e t I c as fuck and I can't wait for that to be the next fad.
Mario
[deleted]
Spritanium
Yeah stuff like SM64 and Crash Bandicoot is really fun to look at

I want to see someone make a low poly 3D game with high res textures. Like everything is a papercraft or something. Paper Mario: The Next Generation
[Image: supercorrect.png]
Yrrzy
theres a dif between neat low-poly 3d that makes good use of the medium and mobile phone graphics
kaZaam
ios games look p fuckin good nowadays iirc
DrTapeworm
not gonna lie, the spyro games on the ps1 still look incredible and i want an indie game that looks like them

[Image: KwIY27C.png]

[Image: L3vCUtX.png]

[Image: 2lu0e8s.png]
even just the skyboxes are great looking
[Image: dinogunz.png]
kaZaam
oh fuck yeah spyro's beautiful and p much exactly what i think of when it comes to ideal-looking lowpoly. there's a certain atmosphere it conveys when done right that you just don't see today
Yrrzy
keeping it relevant someone made a game in Game Maker that looks like this
[Image: 192_image_4ccdc5f7170f5.jpg]
its called Project Aurora and its pretty neat
Draku
low poly is pretty sweet and takes some actual effort to get looking good

unfortunately that also means you'll never see it become "the next fad"
[Image: s2n7oi.png]
Stirling
idk i guess my years of artistic experience just aren't working to let me see the problem w/ shovel knight and consistency even though i'm pretty critical of this stuff usually having like been raised artistically on polykarbon and pixeltendo with their no bullshit allowed
Get it by your own hands.

MFGG Staff Slaying Expert
Kill List
Spoiler:
Assist List
Spoiler:
Yrrzy
shovel knight has 2 extra colours and no sprite limits so its basically garbage
kaZaam
(Sep 8, 2016 at 1:17 AM)StirlADrei Wrote: idk i guess my years of artistic experience just aren't working to let me see the problem w/ shovel knight and consistency even though i'm pretty critical of this stuff usually having like been raised artistically on polykarbon and pixeltendo with their no bullshit allowed
uhhh i guess it's consistently pixelated?? but nes-style doesn't mean just pixelated atl to me. cool credentials

i think this goes back to what i said about spyro n lowpoly & how limitations (even unintentionally) create these really interesting atmospheres and when you break that w stylistic inconsistencies cause you wanted to jam some more colors in, it kinda fucks that up. idk that aspect is subjective af but i think it's what means the most to me outside of just aesthetic dissonance.

(Sep 8, 2016 at 1:20 AM)Yrr Wrote: shovel knight has 2 extra colours and no sprite limits so its basically garbage
idk if you're being sarcastic but shovel knight's consistency problems go way beyond that eitherway
Two_Finger
so you're saying you like the n64's fog because it adds atmosphere right
kaZaam
hek ya
Spritanium
I just wish sprite games scaled better in fullscreen, they look like ass sometimes

I like the a e s t h e t i c but I've seen what can be done with vector art and it more often than not looks better
Draku
(Sep 8, 2016 at 2:02 AM)Two_Finger Wrote: so you're saying you like the n64's fog because it adds atmosphere right
it does tbh
kaZaam
ya i couldn't tell if that was sarcastic too but it so does
Draku
(Sep 8, 2016 at 2:07 AM)Spritanium Wrote: I just wish sprite games scaled better in fullscreen, they look like ass sometimes

I like the a e s t h e t i c but I've seen what can be done with vector art and it more often than not looks better
Sprites are made for a specific res so they usually line up with how the game was meant to be played.

A game made using sprites should, more than likely, be played at that res.
Spritanium
But then on the other hand you have stuff like Undertale where the retro look adds to the weird ethereal whimsy

So idk, I guess it just depends on the game. I like sprites, I mean that's where my username comes from lmao